Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Definitive Thread: Use Sky Miles to upgrade on VS

Old May 27, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
DRAFT WIKI: I've started this on May 27, 2018 as a first pass, but need to pull more info from the rest of the thread. Feel free to add!

What flights are eligible to be upgraded?
As relevant to this thread, original booking must be:
- DL ticketed (006 stock)
- DL marketed (DL flight #)
- VS operated

NOTE ON MIXED CABIN BOOKINGS: If you are booked in coach for a domestic portion on Delta and then connecting to a VS Premium Economy segment, and trying to upgrade only the VS PE segment with DL miles, the upgrade request may be rejected by Virgin when the DL agent attempt to process it. Ask to be transferred to the international reissue desk. Explain that they will need to remove the domestic coach portion of your flight, then process the upgrade, and then reattach the domestic Y portion. VS will accept the upgrade only when the coach segment has been removed, and this all needs to be done manually by Delta.

How do I know mileage upgrade space is available?
You can either call Delta and ask the agent to check or check online. If you are going to call, see note below about how to explain this to the phone agent. Or, follow instructions in the next section to check inventory online.

X
Checking online In advance:
- Upgrades on VS pull from the same inventory as award bookings. Upgrading to Upper Class requires G class inventory, upgrading to Premium Economy requires P class inventory. Note these are Virgin fare classes that will not display on delta.com. Delta's G and P fare classes are different and should not be considered for this purpose. Only a subset of G class inventory (and presumably also of P class inventory) is available for upgrades, so merely finding G availability via the Delta or Virgin websites, or via ExpertFlyer or other sources, does not necessarily mean an upgrade will be available. Unfortunately there is no public data source that can be used to double-check what Delta agents tell you about availability.
  • Waitlisting is not available for mileage upgrades on Virgin Atlantic or any other partner flights.
-
-
-

At the Airport Day of Depature:
  • VS regularly offers DOD upgrades at the airport.
  • Upgrades are available for cash (generally not the best value at ~$800 one way) or VS miles (same # miles as advance upgrades).
  • DOD upgrades using miles can only be done with VS miles, not Delta Sky Miles.
  • VS miles can be transferred from Amex MR. Transfer is usually instantaneous if you have linked your MR/VS accounts in advance, but as always Amex does not guarantee this so there is some risk involved in relying on the transfer while at the airport.

How do I request the upgrade?
  • You'll need to call Delta. Be prepared to spend some time and persistence, and HUCA if necessary. Know that agents are likely to be confused about this, so be patient and call when you have time for them to research this and possibly speak with a supervisor.
    • Consider saying something along these lines to the phone agent to help clue them in that this may be something they need to look up or get help with: "I am calling to upgrade, using Sky Miles, my Virgin Atlantic flight that I booked through Delta. I understand that this is a newer benefit that is now available through the Delta/Virgin Atlantic join-venture. I know from previously calling that this is not something all agents do regularly, so thanks so much for helping me figure this out."
    • Remind the agent to check the VS flight # (not DL #) for upgrade space. Many agents may tell you you are already in a premium cabin if you're booked in VS PE, without realizing that DL's G class is not the same as VS's G class. Some may also insist that it is not possible to upgrade a VS flight with Sky Miles (it was not possible before July 2017). Be polite, but ask for a supervisor.
    • Agents seem to find the correct instructions about all this when they look up the DL/VS joint venture notes in whatever system they use.
  • Waitlisting is not available for mileage upgrades on Virgin Atlantic or any other partner flights.

What should I see if/when my upgrade is correctly processed?
  • Your upgraded flight will now be a VS-marketed flight #.
  • You will be rebooked into the appropriate VS fare class.

Need more information on reticketing, seat selection, etc.

How much do upgrades cost?
Reports of upgrade costs are as follows (current as of May 2018):
- US<>UK, PE>UC = 25k RDM each way
- US<>UK, Y>UC = ???? each way
- US<>UK, Y>PE = ???? each way
When going from Y to PE/UC, you may need to pay the UK luxury tax (in USD or GBP) for flights exiting the UK.
When going from PE to UC, the luxury tax should not apply as it has already been charged on the PE fare.

A note about earning miles
Your upgraded ticket should still earn DL RDMs/MQMs/MQDs based on the originally purchased fare. However, the systems regularly get confused because the rebooked ticket will be identified as VS award inventory, ineligible for mileage earnings.
Keep your original (non-upgraded) receipt and monitor your miles earnings carefully. Calls or written requests via DL.com comments/complaints will result in proper mileage earnings being applied, but you may need to be persistent.
Need information about crediting flights to VS or other programs.

Print Wikipost

Definitive Thread: Use Sky Miles to upgrade on VS

Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I’ve got a PE booking on a flight upcoming that now has inventory for 2 J awards. The DL rep tells me no upgrades with sky miles are available. Is award inventory no longer a sign of upgrade availability?
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Call back they're probably not looking for G, but rather O.
Exactly. I had this happen recently, an EF alert showed a seat was available but the DL rep said there was nothing. I told her she needed to check for VS G, which was confusing because I was booked in DL G, which is VS PE on 006 stock. So after going back and forth a bit with her telling me I was already in G and my explaining to her the difference between DL G and VS G, she found it and I was able to upgrade with 25,000 miles.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Call back they're probably not looking for G, but rather O.
Thanks for this, I instructed the next agent to look for VS G class and she found the seats right away. 25K x 2 later, we are flying UC from SEA to LHR ^

h/t to Long Train Runnin for monitoring the inventory for me with his EF subscription, and further h/t to everyone in this thread for the awesome info. ^
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Completed my upgraded trip last week. A few things:
1. My ticket didn't auto-reissue, so I had to call in when I couldn't do OLCI, as I didn't want to wait to deal with it at the airport. Agent had to get a supervisor to figure out what was going on but they eventually reissued it, RDM were pulled, and I was able to OLCI.
2. Miles posted and as expected the upgraded leg is showing as ineligible. Comment/complaint email sent.
3. MCO has to have one of the dumbest I-D connection processes around. Will be avoiding connections there in the future.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Update: Still waiting for a response on the miles credit - will give it another week or so before I start calling in (the difference isn't impacting status level or anything for the moment).

However, I also just noticed that the upgrade leg posted incorrectly to SkyBonus, as well. I'll see if correcting the SkyMiles side results in an update there, though I'm guessing that'll be another series of phone calls...
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gooselee
Update: Still waiting for a response on the miles credit - will give it another week or so before I start calling in (the difference isn't impacting status level or anything for the moment).

However, I also just noticed that the upgrade leg posted incorrectly to SkyBonus, as well. I'll see if correcting the SkyMiles side results in an update there, though I'm guessing that'll be another series of phone calls...
I had to fight for SkyMiles and SkyBonus separately. SkyBonus didn't ever admit it was processed incorrectly (just gave me the miles as a "one-time courtesy." I let it go.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrkmsp
I had to fight for SkyMiles and SkyBonus separately. SkyBonus didn't ever admit it was processed incorrectly (just gave me the miles as a "one-time courtesy." I let it go.
Honestly the SB might not even be worth it based on how they split up my fare across the segments. Also scratching my head on why the outbound was level 2 and return was level 1 (it was all VS PE), but...that's for another thread, I guess.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Final update, got a reply to my Comment/Complaint submission this morning - total 10 days to respond.

No pushback, response just said they saw all the transactions and have requested mileage credit, but it may take 7-10 days to post. I checked my DL account just now (~6 hours after their reply) and the correct MQM/RDM/MQD have now posted.

While I wish DL's systems were just smart enough to get it right to begin with, I can't really complain about the response/correction. I suppose my one grips is that these miles + my remaining travel will put me at DM by the end of this year...a distinction I was honestly hoping to avoid...
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by gooselee

A similar thing happened to me. On DL.com I booked a G fare, in PE, on VS metal from SFO>LHR, and then used 25K miles to upgrade to UC, which then changed the flight # from DL4363 to VS42 and still kept the G fare, which when booked on VS is an award fare, which gives no miles of course! So today it says on my App.."Activity is not eligible for mileage credit"..so I called the DM line and Elaine says .."Oh yes I'm familiar with this. Let me get it straightened out for you, and you should see everything post correctly within 48 hrs"..So the moral of the story is to always follow up with DL ASAP if you see a problem with mileage credit not posting, otherwise if you wait too long (not sure how long!) you might never get the credit!
gooselee likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I managed to upgrade DL G to VS G using 25k miles. delta.com was NOT showing business award availability, so I'm not sure how reliable that is any more. EF did show availability, and after three tries I was able to find an agent who could see that (after the expected initial confusion that DL G != VS G, and only VS flight numbers have upgradeable inventory).

We reticketed while I was on the phone (new email received, seat confirmed via VS website) and the 25k were removed from my account in real time. No further APD was charged as I had already paid it via the original DL G fare. (Both the original phone agent and the global reticketing desk double checked that.) Looking forward to submitting the request for mileage credit
gooselee and jrkmsp like this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by audidudi
So the moral of the story is to always follow up with DL ASAP if you see a problem with mileage credit not posting, otherwise if you wait too long (not sure how long!) you might never get the credit!
There is no time limit on correcting something that successfully posted in any form to your account

If it didn't post then you have between 30-60 days to full out the online form to request the credit; but if it just posted incorrectly they can fix that, really anytime

The only limitation may be if someone needs the MQMs for a particular year's qualification, otherwise it makes no difference
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:58 am

Sdc after upgrade ?

I just successfully used miles to ug my wife and me on our outbound leg thanks to ef alerts. Virgin slipped our return and now we have an undesirable connection. DL only offered to refund our fare difference from premium to dl c+ for better routing, but I'm wondering if I can successfully upgrade our return, if we can pull a fast one and change to a d1 itinerary with better routing. Any insights? If I can upgrade I'll report back my findings.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by capjessop
I just successfully used miles to ug my wife and me on our outbound leg thanks to ef alerts. Virgin slipped our return and now we have an undesirable connection. DL only offered to refund our fare difference from premium to dl c+ for better routing, but I'm wondering if I can successfully upgrade our return, if we can pull a fast one and change to a d1 itinerary with better routing. Any insights? If I can upgrade I'll report back my findings.
DL doesn't offer PE TATL accept once a day to/from AMS/DTW. What is the route you're trying to fly and we can give some ideas for routing that might work using VS TATL.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL doesn't offer PE TATL accept once a day to/from AMS/DTW. What is the route you're trying to fly and we can give some ideas for routing that might work using VS TATL.
I think the poster was saying that the return is booked on VS PE but due to a schedule change is now an undesirable itinerary. They can voluntarily downgrade to a better-timed DL flight in C+ with the fare difference refunded, but I think what the poster was hoping to do was to wait until the return leg clears into VS Upper Class and *then* change to the DL flight confirmed in Delta One. I suppose that's more desirable than trying to upgrade the DL C+ return with miles, no? And I assume it would be allowed, but I'm not 100% sure.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I think the poster was saying that the return is booked on VS PE but due to a schedule change is now an undesirable itinerary. They can voluntarily downgrade to a better-timed DL flight in C+ with the fare difference refunded, but I think what the poster was hoping to do was to wait until the return leg clears into VS Upper Class and *then* change to the DL flight confirmed in Delta One. I suppose that's more desirable than trying to upgrade the DL C+ return with miles, no? And I assume it would be allowed, but I'm not 100% sure.
You got it. We begrudgingly prefer the long layover with premium on vs to c+ on Delta with a better connection, I'm just hoping for success at the cheap business upgrade on vs followed by changing to d1 via msp. If I get an answer okI' report back. Thanks!
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You might get lucky. However agent could hold firm that upgrade was done after schedule change.

Last edited by flyerCO; Sep 27, 2018 at 4:55 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.