Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Definitive Thread: Use Sky Miles to upgrade on VS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
DRAFT WIKI: I've started this on May 27, 2018 as a first pass, but need to pull more info from the rest of the thread. Feel free to add!

What flights are eligible to be upgraded?
As relevant to this thread, original booking must be:
- DL ticketed (006 stock)
- DL marketed (DL flight #)
- VS operated

NOTE ON MIXED CABIN BOOKINGS: If you are booked in coach for a domestic portion on Delta and then connecting to a VS Premium Economy segment, and trying to upgrade only the VS PE segment with DL miles, the upgrade request may be rejected by Virgin when the DL agent attempt to process it. Ask to be transferred to the international reissue desk. Explain that they will need to remove the domestic coach portion of your flight, then process the upgrade, and then reattach the domestic Y portion. VS will accept the upgrade only when the coach segment has been removed, and this all needs to be done manually by Delta.

How do I know mileage upgrade space is available?
You can either call Delta and ask the agent to check or check online. If you are going to call, see note below about how to explain this to the phone agent. Or, follow instructions in the next section to check inventory online.

X
Checking online In advance:
- Upgrades on VS pull from the same inventory as award bookings. Upgrading to Upper Class requires G class inventory, upgrading to Premium Economy requires P class inventory. Note these are Virgin fare classes that will not display on delta.com. Delta's G and P fare classes are different and should not be considered for this purpose. Only a subset of G class inventory (and presumably also of P class inventory) is available for upgrades, so merely finding G availability via the Delta or Virgin websites, or via ExpertFlyer or other sources, does not necessarily mean an upgrade will be available. Unfortunately there is no public data source that can be used to double-check what Delta agents tell you about availability.
  • Waitlisting is not available for mileage upgrades on Virgin Atlantic or any other partner flights.
-
-
-

At the Airport Day of Depature:
  • VS regularly offers DOD upgrades at the airport.
  • Upgrades are available for cash (generally not the best value at ~$800 one way) or VS miles (same # miles as advance upgrades).
  • DOD upgrades using miles can only be done with VS miles, not Delta Sky Miles.
  • VS miles can be transferred from Amex MR. Transfer is usually instantaneous if you have linked your MR/VS accounts in advance, but as always Amex does not guarantee this so there is some risk involved in relying on the transfer while at the airport.

How do I request the upgrade?
  • You'll need to call Delta. Be prepared to spend some time and persistence, and HUCA if necessary. Know that agents are likely to be confused about this, so be patient and call when you have time for them to research this and possibly speak with a supervisor.
    • Consider saying something along these lines to the phone agent to help clue them in that this may be something they need to look up or get help with: "I am calling to upgrade, using Sky Miles, my Virgin Atlantic flight that I booked through Delta. I understand that this is a newer benefit that is now available through the Delta/Virgin Atlantic join-venture. I know from previously calling that this is not something all agents do regularly, so thanks so much for helping me figure this out."
    • Remind the agent to check the VS flight # (not DL #) for upgrade space. Many agents may tell you you are already in a premium cabin if you're booked in VS PE, without realizing that DL's G class is not the same as VS's G class. Some may also insist that it is not possible to upgrade a VS flight with Sky Miles (it was not possible before July 2017). Be polite, but ask for a supervisor.
    • Agents seem to find the correct instructions about all this when they look up the DL/VS joint venture notes in whatever system they use.
  • Waitlisting is not available for mileage upgrades on Virgin Atlantic or any other partner flights.

What should I see if/when my upgrade is correctly processed?
  • Your upgraded flight will now be a VS-marketed flight #.
  • You will be rebooked into the appropriate VS fare class.

Need more information on reticketing, seat selection, etc.

How much do upgrades cost?
Reports of upgrade costs are as follows (current as of May 2018):
- US<>UK, PE>UC = 25k RDM each way
- US<>UK, Y>UC = ???? each way
- US<>UK, Y>PE = ???? each way
When going from Y to PE/UC, you may need to pay the UK luxury tax (in USD or GBP) for flights exiting the UK.
When going from PE to UC, the luxury tax should not apply as it has already been charged on the PE fare.

A note about earning miles
Your upgraded ticket should still earn DL RDMs/MQMs/MQDs based on the originally purchased fare. However, the systems regularly get confused because the rebooked ticket will be identified as VS award inventory, ineligible for mileage earnings.
Keep your original (non-upgraded) receipt and monitor your miles earnings carefully. Calls or written requests via DL.com comments/complaints will result in proper mileage earnings being applied, but you may need to be persistent.
Need information about crediting flights to VS or other programs.

Print Wikipost

Definitive Thread: Use Sky Miles to upgrade on VS

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2019, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I'm always confused by this: I am about to book a VS PE fare with VS and credit to DL to get the MQD. Can I still upgrade to J with some of my VS miles I've earned from Hilton over the years? Or will that force the earning over to VS?
Old May 27, 2019, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pennystinkard
Thanks again, that was my understanding as well. I found award availability on the day I'd like to fly, the only issue is that I don't have enough DL miles right now. Any idea how much it would cost in cash to upgrade (at the airport) a Q-class seat to Upper Class from LHR to LAX?
I don't remember the exact amount but it's not cheap. I think around $1K, keeping in mind that this route would often sell out in advance.

How many sky miles do you have? Again, check to see the cost of Premium Economy as that's only 25K miles to upgrade. Also, keep in mind that American Express MR points can be transferred to Delta. You can also buy Sky Miles, but this is usually not advised as the rate is bad; but if you are only short by a very small amount this can be an OK option.
Old May 27, 2019, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I'm always confused by this: I am about to book a VS PE fare with VS and credit to DL to get the MQD. Can I still upgrade to J with some of my VS miles I've earned from Hilton over the years? Or will that force the earning over to VS?
I'm not sure on this. I think you should be OK but you should ask, and perhaps would need to go back into your reservation after the upgrade is cleared and confirm you are still crediting to Delta.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I don't remember the exact amount but it's not cheap. I think around $1K, keeping in mind that this route would often sell out in advance.

How many sky miles do you have? Again, check to see the cost of Premium Economy as that's only 25K miles to upgrade. Also, keep in mind that American Express MR points can be transferred to Delta. You can also buy Sky Miles, but this is usually not advised as the rate is bad; but if you are only short by a very small amount this can be an OK option.
I only have 15k Delta miles, and plenty of MR but am hoarding those for a different redemption. Basically VS is the only way I'd get a chance to earn (and burn) DL miles, which is why I'm considering the upgrade route. One more question: in checking award availability on the VS website, only one-stop flights are available for redemption. This means that if I purchase a non-stop Y or PE flight, I won't ever be able to upgrade unless those flights show up as available for award redemption, right?
Old May 30, 2019, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pennystinkard
One more question: in checking award availability on the VS website, only one-stop flights are available for redemption. This means that if I purchase a non-stop Y or PE flight, I won't ever be able to upgrade unless those flights show up as available for award redemption, right?
I'm not sure I fully understand your question. You can't upgrade unless there is inventory available. The way to know if there is inventory available is to see if there is an award availability for the class of service you want to upgrade into. If you wanted to change your routing later, award inventory would need to be available on the new flights, and you would also pay a change fee. The change fee is waived if you upgrade on the same flight you are already book on.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I'm not sure I fully understand your question. You can't upgrade unless there is inventory available. The way to know if there is inventory available is to see if there is an award availability for the class of service you want to upgrade into. If you wanted to change your routing later, award inventory would need to be available on the new flights, and you would also pay a change fee. The change fee is waived if you upgrade on the same flight you are already book on.
Also, to UG with DL miles I believe you need to check for award availability on the DL website, not VS. IIRC, DL can only rebook into award inventory which VS has released to DL.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gooselee
Also, to UG with DL miles I believe you need to check for award availability on the DL website, not VS. IIRC, DL can only rebook into award inventory which VS has released to DL.
Not the case. Though it should show up on both websites, but if VS has award inventory available this is the same inventory as upgrades for them, unless something has recently changed.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Not the case. Though it should show up on both websites, but if VS has award inventory available this is the same inventory as upgrades for them, unless something has recently changed.
Ah, I stand corrected then. I'd always just searched on DL.com believing it was a subset, but good to know it's the same on both!
Old May 30, 2019, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gooselee
Ah, I stand corrected then. I'd always just searched on DL.com believing it was a subset, but good to know it's the same on both!

I could also imagine there being a glitch where inventory is available but not showing up on DL's website.
Old May 30, 2019, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I could also imagine there being a glitch where inventory is available but not showing up on DL's website.
Some days, I'm pretty sure DL's entire website is a glitch...
Old May 30, 2019, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Correct. G class is needed, which is what VS uses for J awards. If the flight shows available on VS website for booking as a standard award, you can upgrade.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:39 am

Redemption rates as of 6/5/19

I just successfully upgraded from a K fare to Premium economy for 35k SkyMiles. This was a JFK-LHR flight.

HQK to Business - 65k
YBM to Business - 35k
HQK to Premium Economy - 35k
YBM to Premium Exonomy - 25k
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by speedneed2
Redemption rates as of 6/5/19

I just successfully upgraded from a K fare to Premium economy for 35k SkyMiles. This was a JFK-LHR flight.

HQK to Business - 65k
YBM to Business - 35k
HQK to Premium Economy - 35k
YBM to Premium Exonomy - 25k
I recently used 25K DL miles to upgrade from PE to UC for a LAS-LHR-LAX routing (each way, per person, so 100K total). So just to clarify, are these posted rates for DL metal or VS metal? Thanks!
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:00 am

Programs: Delta SM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott PE
I had to sign up just to say thank you all for this info! I called, checked for upgrades, got everything booked after the CSR confirmed there were upgrades, all with the same CSR! She was extremely helpful. After reading all the woes on here i feel like i got lucky. Which brings me to my question. So, the flight i booked was from IAD-LHR-IAD and i spent 100k Points to upgrade from Econ (flight out) and C+ (return flight) to UC. Its a business trip my company paid for, but i have this weird feeling that i didn't get lucky on the points i spent. Almost like i spent too many points for the upgrade and im not getting good value from them. Can someone please tell me whether or not (so i don't go crazy) i put these miles to good use? A quick google search indicates a one-way UC ticket to LHR is about 75K miles. So with that in mind im thinking i did ok. This is also my first time going overseas, for whatever that's worth. Apologize for the long winded first post.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Code Black
I had to sign up just to say thank you all for this info! I called, checked for upgrades, got everything booked after the CSR confirmed there were upgrades, all with the same CSR! She was extremely helpful. After reading all the woes on here i feel like i got lucky. Which brings me to my question. So, the flight i booked was from IAD-LHR-IAD and i spent 100k Points to upgrade from Econ (flight out) and C+ (return flight) to UC. Its a business trip my company paid for, but i have this weird feeling that i didn't get lucky on the points i spent. Almost like i spent too many points for the upgrade and im not getting good value from them. Can someone please tell me whether or not (so i don't go crazy) i put these miles to good use? A quick google search indicates a one-way UC ticket to LHR is about 75K miles. So with that in mind im thinking i did ok. This is also my first time going overseas, for whatever that's worth. Apologize for the long winded first post.
You are looking at the wrong info. The Skymiles rate for a UC award on VS is 86K miles one-way with 60-day advance purchase (CSMH860 award) and 135K with a 21-day advance purchase (CSMG1350 award). The rate with no advance purchase requirement is 160K miles (CSM1600 award). The award levels with Skymiles and Flying Club are entirely independent of each other.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 13, 2019 at 9:17 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.