FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   DL Dropping ATL-CCS as of 09/16/2017 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1856781-dl-dropping-atl-ccs-09-16-2017-a.html)

KDCAflyer Jul 26, 2017 5:19 pm

DL Dropping ATL-CCS as of 09/16/2017

Not surprised. Avianca announced the same today. With that, AA is the last carrier operating a nonstop flight CCS-US.

readywhenyouare Jul 26, 2017 5:40 pm

Delta is already a distant third in the S America market. Soon there will be nothing left.

KDCAflyer Jul 26, 2017 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 28612413)
Delta is already a distant third in the S America market. Soon there will be nothing left.

Well I would say that this is more about conditions in Venezuela than DL's weakness in the overall market. UA just ended all flights as well.

MCO Flyer Jul 26, 2017 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by WWads (Post 28612418)
Well I would say that this is more about conditions in Venezuela than DL's weakness in the overall market. UA just ended all flights as well.

Yes, this has nothing to do with S America. Just 5 years ago this route was operated by a 76W and now it's down to just Saturday only service on a 73W. When the conditions in Venezuela got worse, DL and other airlines cut flights.

pbarnette Jul 26, 2017 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 28612413)

Ummm... Are you actually unaware of the absolute dumpster fire that is Venezuela right now?

https://www.ft.com/content/0228db48-...b-33fe0c5b7eaa

readywhenyouare Jul 26, 2017 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette (Post 28612579)
Ummm... Are you actually unaware of the absolute dumpster fire that is Venezuela right now?

https://www.ft.com/content/0228db48-...b-33fe0c5b7eaa

Yes you are right, I should have taken that into consideration. But Delta treats S America like a dart board. The enter a new city and then leave a few months later. They never give it enough time to mature.

MCO Flyer Jul 26, 2017 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 28612615)
Yes you are right, I should have taken that into consideration. But Delta treats S America like a dart board. The enter a new city and then leave a few months later. They never give it enough time to mature.

The only route that I remember this happening was when DL moved ATL-BSB to MCO-BSB. Well it only lasted a few months and DL completely pulled out of BSB altogether but that also had to due with local conditions in BSB and the Brazilian government. What other routes has DL done this on? DL will obviously never get to 1st in S America Traffic with AA in MIA but what makes you think that DL dropping one Saturday only route make it seem like they will cut more routes. UA recently cut CCS as well and it was a matter of time before DL did.

readywhenyouare Jul 26, 2017 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer (Post 28612649)
The only route that I remember this happening was when DL moved ATL-BSB to MCO-BSB. Well it only lasted a few months and DL completely pulled out of BSB altogether but that also had to due with local conditions in BSB and the Brazilian government. What other routes has DL done this on? DL will obviously never get to 1st in S America Traffic with AA in MIA but what makes you think that DL dropping one Saturday only route make it seem like they will cut more routes. UA recently cut CCS as well and it was a matter of time before DL did.

They got out of CLO pretty darn fast.

pbarnette Jul 26, 2017 7:34 pm

The reality is that growth in the region isn't exactly linear and instability is the name of the game. I mean, if it isn't Venezuelans rioting in the streets, it is Brazil's inability to rein in corruption. If it isn't Argentina defaulting on their debt, it is another terrible Ecuadorian leader sabotaging their economy.

Given the general state of confusion that seems endemic to many SA countries, I would think that somewhat irregular growth of DL service to the region should be expected.

MCO Flyer Jul 26, 2017 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 28612677)
They got out of CLO pretty darn fast.

It also looks like DL tried LAX-GRU back in 2009 and I don't think that lasted long.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...e-gru-yet.html

sky303 Jul 26, 2017 7:43 pm

"Distant third in the South American market?" Evidence vs. UA? I'll wait...

readywhenyouare Jul 26, 2017 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by sky303 (Post 28612824)

Yes I was surprised as well but UA has more service. It was posted on airliners.net last week I believe. I'll find the link since you think I'm being dishonest. I believe you stated in the past that you were an employee or related to an employee of Delta. I like my company too but I have to admit there are other companies that do some things better than we do. That's just the way the world works. You can't be the best at everything.

KDCAflyer Jul 26, 2017 8:02 pm

UA has a JV with Copa right? If you include that, DL is certainly in last place.

readywhenyouare Jul 26, 2017 8:18 pm

http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewt...3177#p19693177

Here you go. AA serves 85 destinations, UA serves 59, and Delta serves 54.

sky303 Jul 26, 2017 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 28612879)
Yes I was surprised as well but UA has more service. It was posted on airliners.net last week I believe. I'll find the link since you think I'm being dishonest. I believe you stated in the past that you were an employee or related to an employee of Delta. I like my company too but I have to admit there are other companies that do some things better than we do. That's just the way the world works. You can't be the best at everything.

"Distant..."

I find it interesting that you think the fact that my dad working for DL has anything to do with my opinion on this. I have earned status across several airlines. Now, if you can demonstrate "distant" I'll be interested. Also, not sure where I said you're being dishonest. God forbid anyone back up a statement with evidence, LOL.

And I think including a Copa JV is a little absurd. It's UA we're talking about, not CM, and at that rate, let's include the JV with AM for DL.

5 fewer destinations is hardly distant by any stretch of the imagination, and that's only by city, what about by capacity? Also this source talks about all of Latin America, not SA exclusively, so it doesn't even demonstrate what we're talking about.