DL Dropping ATL-CCS as of 09/16/2017

Old Aug 11, 17, 5:40 pm
was WWads
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare View Post
I think I would just end it now and refund everyone's money.
I get what DL is trying to do. There's a lot of people who want to get out that they'd be stranding. I'd also wonder about their ability to refund that much money at once, since a lot of ex-CCS pax probably paid cash.
Old Aug 12, 17, 6:21 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Originally Posted by WWads View Post
I get what DL is trying to do. There's a lot of people who want to get out that they'd be stranding. I'd also wonder about their ability to refund that much money at once, since a lot of ex-CCS pax probably paid cash.
That's one of the major problems...
Delta can't get any of the money from ticket sales in Venezuela out of the country. The currency controls the government put in place are essentially legalized government theft.
Airlines are forced to pay for fuel in US dollars at absurd exchange rates.
The trip is too far to bunker in return fuel.
Now add in complaints about contaminated fuel at CCS, and I wonder why any airline risks going there.
Damn shame. It's one of the most beautiful places on earth.
Old Aug 12, 17, 10:14 am
was WWads
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airmotive View Post
That's one of the major problems...
Delta can't get any of the money from ticket sales in Venezuela out of the country. The currency controls the government put in place are essentially legalized government theft.
Airlines are forced to pay for fuel in US dollars at absurd exchange rates.
The trip is too far to bunker in return fuel.
Now add in complaints about contaminated fuel at CCS, and I wonder why any airline risks going there.
Damn shame. It's one of the most beautiful places on earth.
The payments problem has been fixed for several years. Electronic transactions take place outside of Venezuela, and ticket counters only accept foreign currency. The cash is removed on whenever a plane departs I would imagine.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Aug 12, 17 at 10:20 am
Old Aug 12, 17, 12:57 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by WWads View Post
The payments problem has been fixed for several years. Electronic transactions take place outside of Venezuela, and ticket counters only accept foreign currency. The cash is removed on whenever a plane departs I would imagine.
I thought that the ticketing payment policy changed at one point to what you are saying, but the airlines still have funds locked up in Venezuela from before the policy change.
Old Aug 12, 17, 1:10 pm
was WWads
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ekozie View Post
I thought that the ticketing payment policy changed at one point to what you are saying, but the airlines still have funds locked up in Venezuela from before the policy change.
They've long written that money off as an irrecoverable loss. Now that it can't happen again, it's no longer a barrier to service.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: