Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Flights 200 & 201 to Johannesburg

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Flights 200 & 201 to Johannesburg

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:58 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by landrino
I have some questions around this flight as well if anyone would like to give some advice.

I am flying from Atlanta to Johannesburg in September for my honeymoon. The delta flight arrives at 5:35 pm in JNB and from what I have read on here and other forums there are not a lot of other international flights arriving at that time so customs should be relatively fast. Can anyone speak from experience with this? I will be continuing my travels to Cape Town the same night on a flight on SAA that leaves at 7:30 pm. Is this going to be possible to make on time? Any advice on the JNB airport is much appreciated!
I have connected on SAA at JNB coming from CPT, but have not done it the other way around.

My usual practice is to use one of the porters to carry the bags and guide you to the connecting flight check-in. These are guys who are eager to please in exchange for a proper tip. They will approach you most likely, so don't be afraid to utilize one of them to help you. This will expedite your connection to the SAA domestic flight.

Enjoy CPT. It is one of my favorite places on earth. Wish Delta had been successful flying its own metal there.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by spryam
I took the flights last November in economy comfort. Brutal flights. I had row 29 out and 31 back. My arm felt like somebody had put a tourniquet on it for both flights even though I didn't sleep on it. Going over is 'better' as it was only 14.5 hours and you land before it gets dark out. Customs at JNB was a nightmare. Numerous flights all landed at the same time. Took over an hour and it was hot and musty. Coming back to the ATL is worse. Flight is 2 hours longer and it's dark the entire flight. Horrible movies. I just stared at the screen with 9 hours to go and just watched the plane slowly move across the ocean. I don't know if I can ever do that flight in coach again. I want to go to Namibia though so I guess I will be!
How long would you say it took you to get off the plane, get your bags, get through customs and be back to where one could check a bag again?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat., SPG Plat.
If you haven't booked your flight already, why not book a flight on AF/KL to Capetown from Europe, rather than have two tickets? I think one of those carriers flies non stop to CPT from their hub in Europe.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by WesTraveller
If you haven't booked your flight already, why not book a flight on AF/KL to Capetown from Europe, rather than have two tickets? I think one of those carriers flies non stop to CPT from their hub in Europe.
My apologies for not specifying, our Delta Flight to JNB is already booked. Booked rewards tickets for the direct flight because we had a limited time for the honeymoon and wanted to get there as quickly as possible as to not waste any time. Got both tickets for 160,000 points.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
My apologies for not specifying, our Delta Flight to JNB is already booked. Booked rewards tickets for the direct flight because we had a limited time for the honeymoon and wanted to get there as quickly as possible as to not waste any time. Got both tickets for 160,000 points.
160 per ticket? You can book DL metal for 95k to JNB direct from US or via LHR/CDG/AMS if the TATL is on DL. If the TATL is on VS/AF/KL then it goes up tp 115k. However you normally need to try and piece it together. CPT requires flying to AMS or CDG.

I always break it up going via Eurppe tp ZA. Basically an hour or 2 difference in total time, but broken up.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:37 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

Originally Posted by flyerCO
160 per ticket? You can book DL metal for 95k to JNB direct from US or via LHR/CDG/AMS if the TATL is on DL. If the TATL is on VS/AF/KL then it goes up tp 115k. However you normally need to try and piece it together. CPT requires flying to AMS or CDG.

I always break it up going via Eurppe tp ZA. Basically an hour or 2 difference in total time, but broken up.
I just booked DeltaOne/Upper Class on Delta and Virgin Atlantic for April 25-May8 for the following...I believe this is the cheapest amount of points for a total business class experience.

DTW LHR JNB for 95,000 x 2 = 180,000
JNB LHR DTW for 95,000 x 2 = 180,000

180,000 x 2 = 360,000
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SSF556
I just booked DeltaOne/Upper Class on Delta and Virgin Atlantic for April 25-May8 for the following...I believe this is the cheapest amount of points for a total business class experience.

DTW LHR JNB for 95,000 x 2 = 180,000
JNB LHR DTW for 95,000 x 2 = 180,000

180,000 x 2 = 360,000
Correct
. You're flying DL for the TATL. However if you flew VS for the TATL it would go up to 115k.

Note US-ZA pricing has changed at least twice in last year. Thus my question to OP.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:44 pm

Correct
. You're flying DL for the TATL. However if you flew VS for the TATL it would go up to 115k.
@flyerCO Does Delta One ATL to JNB direct for 95,000 miles even exist anymore? Been searching for a while and nothing.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

@flyerCO Does Delta One ATL to JNB direct for 95,000 miles even exist anymore? Been searching for a while and nothing.
It does if you're connecting to it. Otherwise I've never seen ATL-JNB by itself. Got to love married segments.

KLM has a 1030am departure (only morning flight from Europe to JNB). Thus i normally book US-AMS on DL and AMS-JNB on KL. Get in three hours later, leaving at same or later from origin. 95k total. There's also a KL CPT flight at same time as KL JNB flight. You'd get into CPT at same time as goin ATL-JNB and then JNB-CPT.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
It does if you're connecting to it. Otherwise I've never seen ATL-JNB by itself. Got to love married segments.

KLM has a 1030am departure (only morning flight from Europe to JNB). Thus i normally book US-AMS on DL and AMS-JNB on KL. Get in three hours later, leaving at same or later from origin. 95k total. There's also a KL CPT flight at same time as KL JNB flight. You'd get into CPT at same time as goin ATL-JNB and then JNB-CPT.
Stupid question, but in business-class, right?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Should be 95K if you can find it...nothing on my city searches for 95K.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Yes.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Should be 95K if you can find it...nothing on my city searches for 95K.
I normally have it piece it together. Going via AMS/CDG (meaning a partner is involved) married segments dont get applied. Going ATL-JNB (meaning all DL) they do apply. However the system always tries to force ATL/JNB. Thus why I've learned have to piece it together to get it to work.

Give me a set of dates in PM and I'd be happy to work on it (via Europe).
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, million miler
There are multiple flight options to JNB via Europe and the Middle East.....if you are flying to Namibia I would route through Germany on, Turkish, Air Nambia,,,Doha on Qatar or Amsterdam on KLM directly to Windhoek
Since when is there a flight from Amsterdam to Windhoek? That being said, I took KLM to Capetown. Their long haul flight experience has much to be desired. KLM is better at short haul flights.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, million miler
How long would you say it took you to get off the plane, get your bags, get through customs and be back to where one could check a bag again?
Well over an hour coming from the U.S. It all depends on how many planes land at the same time. We returned to JNB from Zambia and sailed through customs. Of course, that flight landed 5 hours late but at 8pm at night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.