Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Flights 200 & 201 to Johannesburg

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Flights 200 & 201 to Johannesburg

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Flew CX from HKG not DL, but remember customs being a breeze, pretty well staffed and just the usual questions, and you should arrive around the same time. Maybe spent <10 min from getting in line to leaving the customs area.

Check the destinations forum they have thread on JNB, but you want to be careful of the "porters" who are more than willing to "help" you with your bags, they can be quite aggressive
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Be sure to allow PLENTY of time departing JNB. The departure security screening and passport exam can be very unpredictable.
I've waltzed through in ten minutes one day, and three weeks later stood in line for 2.5 hours, nearly missing my flight. Status/Class of travel do not matter...there's no short cuts and potentially missing a flight doesn't get you head-of-line.

There's a couple hotels within walking distance of JNB. Actually, they're essentially adjoined to JNB. (The InterContinental is my favorite). Best to plan on staying there upon arrival, as nighttime traveling through JoBurg is best avoided.

The exchange rate right now is insane! Eat like a king, and drink lots of really good SA wine...It's impossible to spend $100 on a meal. Ostrich steak...it will spoil you.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: AA Gold, AF apologist
Originally Posted by Austin787
All international flights bound for the USA are subject to extra screening at the gate. All carry on bags thoroughly searched and all liquids over 3 ounces confiscated. Sometimes people even receive a patdown.

I have seen the gate checks done at NRT, DME, TLV, LHR, CDG, PEK, and BRU.
+1 from SCL this past weekend
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mapboyPHL
+1 from SCL this past weekend
Extra screening at HKG for my CX flight on the 22nd. They actually had a few gates roped off to allow for extra security. All passengers went through, not just random selected.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Million Miler, Platinum Medallion
I have an aisle seat in Comfort going to Johannesburg. The only Comfort seats left on the return are middle seats, but I guess the trade off is more leg room and room for a carry on under the seat. I have a preferred Aisle seat now, but no leg room. At present, several rows are completely empty.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by FSUnole03
I admire anybody who can do those flights in Y (main cabin or C+).
I did D1 going and C+ return. I survived the C+ leg and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be... I probably just got lucky.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I've seen some $700-ish airfares in economy, which is cheap enough (especially if you have any Delta vouchers) to buy a row of economy-class seats. Alternatively, you could route through London-Heathrow on Virgin Atlantic and buy premium-economy for something akin to domestic first-class.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:43 pm

I have some questions around this flight as well if anyone would like to give some advice.

I am flying from Atlanta to Johannesburg in September for my honeymoon. The delta flight arrives at 5:35 pm in JNB and from what I have read on here and other forums there are not a lot of other international flights arriving at that time so customs should be relatively fast. Can anyone speak from experience with this? I will be continuing my travels to Cape Town the same night on a flight on SAA that leaves at 7:30 pm. Is this going to be possible to make on time? Any advice on the JNB airport is much appreciated!
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, million miler
I took the flights last November in economy comfort. Brutal flights. I had row 29 out and 31 back. My arm felt like somebody had put a tourniquet on it for both flights even though I didn't sleep on it. Going over is 'better' as it was only 14.5 hours and you land before it gets dark out. Customs at JNB was a nightmare. Numerous flights all landed at the same time. Took over an hour and it was hot and musty. Coming back to the ATL is worse. Flight is 2 hours longer and it's dark the entire flight. Horrible movies. I just stared at the screen with 9 hours to go and just watched the plane slowly move across the ocean. I don't know if I can ever do that flight in coach again. I want to go to Namibia though so I guess I will be!
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by spryam
I took the flights last November in economy comfort. Brutal flights. I had row 29 out and 31 back. My arm felt like somebody had put a tourniquet on it for both flights even though I didn't sleep on it. Going over is 'better' as it was only 14.5 hours and you land before it gets dark out. Customs at JNB was a nightmare. Numerous flights all landed at the same time. Took over an hour and it was hot and musty. Coming back to the ATL is worse. Flight is 2 hours longer and it's dark the entire flight. Horrible movies. I just stared at the screen with 9 hours to go and just watched the plane slowly move across the ocean. I don't know if I can ever do that flight in coach again. I want to go to Namibia though so I guess I will be!
You can break it up by flying through LHR and AMS on Virgin Atlantic and KLM respectively.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Sleep on your destination schedule if you can. This is the best for jet lag.

Otherwise try to stay up as long as possible on these long flights, so you are really tired when you finally do try to sleep. This usually results in a better rest.

From Australia almost all your flights are 10+ hours so I have a lot of experience here!
Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: AARP, DL Skymiles, Marriot Bonvoy, Moe's Rewards
Originally Posted by Austin787
All international flights bound for the USA are subject to extra screening at the gate. All carry on bags thoroughly searched and all liquids over 3 ounces confiscated. Sometimes people even receive a patdown.

I have seen the gate checks done at NRT, DME, TLV, LHR, CDG, PEK, and BRU.
I flew back from PTY recently and they had the seating area around the gate cordoned off. You have to go through a metal detector and your bags go through the machine to enter the seating area. Mind you everyone is already screened after passport control.
And since there's no seating areas other than at the gates, you have to either stand or sit on the floor in the hallway area to drink your coffee or water, because no liquids are allowed past the gate area screening. It seemed unnecessary. Any liquids I have at this point I bought in the "secure" part of the airport.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:52 am
Formerly known as scootr29

Originally Posted by spryam
There are multiple flight options to JNB via Europe and the Middle East.....if you are flying to Namibia I would route through Germany on, Turkish, Air Nambia,,,Doha on Qatar or Amsterdam on KLM directly to Windhoek

Last edited by SSF556; Aug 1, 2017 at 7:00 am
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:09 am
Formerly known as scootr29

Originally Posted by landrino
I have some questions around this flight as well if anyone would like to give some advice.

I am flying from Atlanta to Johannesburg in September for my honeymoon. The delta flight arrives at 5:35 pm in JNB and from what I have read on here and other forums there are not a lot of other international flights arriving at that time so customs should be relatively fast. Can anyone speak from experience with this? I will be continuing my travels to Cape Town the same night on a flight on SAA that leaves at 7:30 pm. Is this going to be possible to make on time? Any advice on the JNB airport is much appreciated!
As with most 2nd/3rd world cities nothing is guaranteed and a speedy JNB customs is not guaranteed. Also I imagine you will have bags checked. Those will need to be gathered from Delta and then re-checked in with SAA. There are however hourly flights on SAA from JNB to CPT so if you do miss the 730pm there might be the chance to get on a later flight. Or you could go ahead and try to get on a later flight now and not be rushed and stressed while on your honeymoon.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fsuj25
I flew back from PTY recently and they had the seating area around the gate cordoned off. You have to go through a metal detector and your bags go through the machine to enter the seating area. Mind you everyone is already screened after passport control.
And since there's no seating areas other than at the gates, you have to either stand or sit on the floor in the hallway area to drink your coffee or water, because no liquids are allowed past the gate area screening. It seemed unnecessary. Any liquids I have at this point I bought in the "secure" part of the airport.
It's like this at Lisbon, but when I was there the gate security let those who cleared come and go without re-checking as the bathrooms were on the other side of the rope.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.