White Plains, NY (HPN)

Impacted Travel Date(s)
July 23, 2017

Ticket must be Reissued On or Before
July 26, 2017

Rebooked Travel must begin no later than
July 26, 2017
???

AccuWeather predicts "A shower in the afternoon" Sunday.

Weather Channel: "Scattered thunderstorms developing during the afternoon."

DL seems to be moving towards a much more conservative stance, at least in NYC area.

The above would be a typical ATL forecast many days during the spring and summer.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:07 pm

If a single rain drop falls on a cow's butt in Western Pennsylvania, they start cancelling flights at NYC area airports.

I guess Delta would rather people be a little proactive to this fact and rebook on their own rather than waiting, which I agree with.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
???

AccuWeather predicts "A shower in the afternoon" Sunday.

Weather Channel: "Scattered thunderstorms developing during the afternoon."

LGA currently: "Due to WEATHER / THUNDERSTORMS, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving La Guardia Airport, New York, NY (LGA). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 48 minutes."

The storms are over Virginia.

I'm not joking.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Newman55
If a single rain drop falls on a cow's butt in Western Pennsylvania, they start cancelling flights at NYC area airports.

I guess Delta would rather people be a little proactive to this fact and rebook on their own rather than waiting, which I agree with.
I certainly don't object to the proactive approach. ^

Just pondering the evolving paradigm.

Originally Posted by ty97
LGA currently: "Due to WEATHER / THUNDERSTORMS, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving La Guardia Airport, New York, NY (LGA). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 48 minutes."

The storms are over Virginia.

I'm not joking.
Similarly, there can be clear skies in PHL, but weather in NYC will hamstring PHL.

This reinforces the impression that the airlines and FAA have taxed flow capacity thru the northeast corridor to the point that, given the current ATC technologies, any small perturbation upsets the whole system.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
July 19, my 9 pm flight JFK-DCA was delayed until about 1030 pm scheduled, actually left the gate at 1053 pm as we held for 2 UAMs who were connecting.
Once we took off at 1119 pm the flight duration was only 38 minutes, one of the fastest trips I've ever had.
The pilot explained that his departure to JFK from SAV had been delayed be ATC -- didn't say whether it was weather or traffic. Checking flightaware, the plane had landed at SAV on time.

Last edited by mot29; Jul 21, 2017 at 2:45 pm
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Ambassador Platinum
I don't mind this WX waiver. Let's me reschedule my LGA-BOS from 5pm to 9am which I preferred.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:12 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
IMO it's helpful for these sorts of threads to include the affected date(s) in the title...
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:25 pm

"This reinforces the impression that the airlines and FAA have taxed flow capacity thru the northeast corridor to the point that, given the current ATC technologies, any small perturbation upsets the whole system."

Ding, ding, ding....we have a winner.....
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by OHDL1
"This reinforces the impression that the airlines and FAA have taxed flow capacity thru the northeast corridor to the point that, given the current ATC technologies, any small perturbation upsets the whole system."

Ding, ding, ding....we have a winner.....
And we definitely have a "small" perturbation in the forecast for Sunday...
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pitpit
I don't mind this WX waiver. Let's me reschedule my LGA-BOS from 5pm to 9am which I preferred.
I had an 8am but wanted to be on 630am on Sunday to ATL. So saved me waiting until tomorrow AM to Same-Day Confirmed.

And it seems there might be some storms overnight and super early in the AM on Sat/Sun. So potentially that is the issue they are worried about. If planes can't get in the night before for AM flights it could cause a bad ripple.

However it is just 'scattered' storms...
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
I had an 8am but wanted to be on 630am on Sunday to ATL. So saved me waiting until tomorrow AM to Same-Day Confirmed.

And it seems there might be some storms overnight and super early in the AM on Sat/Sun. So potentially that is the issue they are worried about. If planes can't get in the night before for AM flights it could cause a bad ripple.

However it is just 'scattered' storms...
Had a San-MSP-LGA Sunday. Rebooked San-lax-JFK Saturday in D1. Ok I can deal with it. Monday AM was a must, so Saturday night in NYC not the worst. 5 minutes on the phone. Was a RUC cleared upgrade to begin with.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
The one earlier this week saw no rain, hardly even any clouds in the entire NYC area. At least with this one it might rain here...
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Looks like the waiver was a good call based on the weather in the NE Corridor. ^

However, it looks like overnight into early tomorrow the weather will probably worsen in the NYC area itself.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I am not sure what benefit this waiver has when people cannot switch co-terminals (EWR to JFK, etc.).... really takes a lot of options off the table for reasons the average consumer does not understand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.