Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

About to do a bunch of KLM Flights as a Delta Platinum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond / SkyTeam Elite+

I have my Skymiles # entered to all these upcoming KLM flights, however I do not have a Flying Blue account at all. I have a login to the KLM website where I can see my itineraries but it asks me to 'upgrade' to a Flying Blue account. (and I don't see anywhere where it lists any type of status for me).

Short version, I guess: is there any reason to create a Flying Blue # as a Delta Platinum?

I just want to make sure I get all the available perks w these flights (extra baggage, lounge access, seat upgrades(?)) on these KLM flights- and want to make sure that if I don't, it isn't because I didn't take 30sec to create a Flying Blue account.

Thanks & apologies if this is out of place. Long time lurker first time poster etc.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pchc_lx
I have my Skymiles # entered to all these upcoming KLM flights, however I do not have a Flying Blue account at all. I have a login to the KLM website where I can see my itineraries but it asks me to 'upgrade' to a Flying Blue account. (and I don't see anywhere where it lists any type of status for me).

Short version, I guess: is there any reason to create a Flying Blue # as a Delta Platinum?

I just want to make sure I get all the available perks w these flights (extra baggage, lounge access, seat upgrades(?)) on these KLM flights- and want to make sure that if I don't, it isn't because I didn't take 30sec to create a Flying Blue account.

Thanks & apologies if this is out of place. Long time lurker first time poster etc.
No need to create a FB account. In fact, if you put a FB number on those reservations, you won't get DL mileage credit, or your PM elite benefits.

That's just an auto-message that their website always displays when you don't log in.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond / SkyTeam Elite+
Originally Posted by WWads
In fact, if you put a FB number on those reservations, you won't get DL mileage credit, or your PM elite benefits
This is what I was worried about. Thank you for the clarification! Glad I did not do that..

I'm interested to see exactly what benefits I'll get on these flights and what KLM status my Platinum status will 'convert' to, but I suppose I'll wait and see..

Thanks for the response--
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by pchc_lx
This is what I was worried about. Thank you for the clarification! Glad I did not do that..

I'm interested to see exactly what benefits I'll get on these flights and what KLM status my Platinum status will 'convert' to, but I suppose I'll wait and see..

Thanks for the response--
You'll get a lot of the same benefits as FB Platinum (their top-tier status). On KLM, that means free Economy Comfort seats at booking, lounge access, SkyPriority, free checked baggage, and priority baggage handling.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
IIIRC, your Delta status just shows up as FB status in your reservation.

Or I might be remembering AF.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by knit-in
IIIRC, your Delta status just shows up as FB status in your reservation.

Or I might be remembering AF.
That's how it works with KL/AF stock.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:02 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
As mentioned here, it basically translates to a FB tier if your SM number is on record. You'll be fine as long as you don't add a FB account no.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:30 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
If you haven't done so already, check your seat assignments on the KLM flights -- as long as your DL number is on the reservation you should be able to select Economy Comfort seats for free, but they're first come first serve so make sure you grab them now.

There is no "upgrade" process into KLM Economy Comfort like Delta now uses for Comfort+ in most regions, you have to select the seats manually.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To avoid the risk that KLM could somehow use your FB FF number rather than the elite DL one, I would strongly advise you NOT to sign up for a FB FF account.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Sorry to dig up an old thread. To select KLM Economy Comfort, should one avoid Eco Basic fares?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by remymartin
Sorry to dig up an old thread. To select KLM Economy Comfort, should one avoid Eco Basic fares?
Unlike DL, KLM economy basic fares don’t prevent you from selecting economy comfort seats.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by WWads

Unlike DL, KLM economy basic fares don’t prevent you from selecting economy comfort seats.
Many thanks! I was too hasty and booked the non-basic fare before seeing your reply - will know next time!
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:18 pm

Delta elite status benefits on KLM.

I am currently Platinum Medallion, can I choose Economy Comfort seat for free on KLM LHR-AMS, booked directly with KLM?

If I am downgraded to Silver Medallion next year on the date of departure, do I still get a free checked luggage as part of Skyteam Elite benefit??

Do I contact Delta or KLM regarding picking a seat?? (KLM twitter told me to contact Delta, so I thought that's kinda weird since it's a KLM-operated flight from London to Amsterdam..... )

And what do I have to show KLM check-in agent when I arrive at LHR to check luggage? Does Silver get to use SkyPriority line at LHR?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
A search on 'benefits, 'klm'' found this relevant thread.

3Cforme - Delta Forum Moderator
Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:02 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
I am currently Platinum Medallion, can I choose Economy Comfort seat for free on KLM LHR-AMS, booked directly with KLM?

If I am downgraded to Silver Medallion next year on the date of departure, do I still get a free checked luggage as part of Skyteam Elite benefit??

Do I contact Delta or KLM regarding picking a seat?? (KLM twitter told me to contact Delta, so I thought that's kinda weird since it's a KLM-operated flight from London to Amsterdam..... )

And what do I have to show KLM check-in agent when I arrive at LHR to check luggage? Does Silver get to use SkyPriority line at LHR?
You pick a seat with the operating airline, KLM in this case.

Not sure about free checked luggage. You won't need to show anything special to the check-in agent as your status will already be captured in your booking. Silver is not generally entitled to SkyPriority, but have a look at the signage when you get to LHR, at some airports and with some airlines SkyTeam Elite is lumped into the SkyPriority line for check-in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.