Wiki Posts
Search

Paper Drink Coupons

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP75K
Paper Drink Coupons

I have a bunch of paper drink coupons (HOOU) that expire at the end of the year. I just booked a trip for my friend on DL to come visit me (he has no status) he leaves tomorrow. Has anyone had experience with a picture of the coupon (that clearly shows the QR code) and being able to use it? Searching the posts only references the electronic coupons and taking screen shots of it or sending the PDF of the coupon to someone.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: DL DM
My guess is that it will be a gray area. Some FA’s will take and some won’t. Not sure there is a DL policy to take a picture of the coupon, especially since paper coupons are being phased out. May just have your friends pay the $7.00 for a adult refreshment.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:56 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I'm sorry, I prefer my drinks to be liquid, not paper.

(Sorry, it has been a bad day )
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by scklumb
I have a bunch of paper drink coupons (HOOU) that expire at the end of the year. I just booked a trip for my friend on DL to come visit me (he has no status) he leaves tomorrow. Has anyone had experience with a picture of the coupon (that clearly shows the QR code) and being able to use it? Searching the posts only references the electronic coupons and taking screen shots of it or sending the PDF of the coupon to someone.
As long as it's still readable by the reader, and on a non CRJ200, it should be ok.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

FA will not take a screen shot of a paper coupon. They said they need the physical coupon cause in the air they can't validate the coupon. Which at first I said ok makes sense. But then I thought well they take the electronic ones, and their Buy On Board purchases are validated instantly (isn't it?).
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
FA will not take a screen shot of a paper coupon. They said they need the physical coupon cause in the air they can't validate the coupon. Which at first I said ok makes sense. But then I thought well they take the electronic ones, and their Buy On Board purchases are validated instantly (isn't it?).
This makes sense. The electronic drink coupons have a QR code so after the FA scans the QR, the drink coupon disappears from the app. If the paper coupon doesn't have a QR code, there is no way for the for it to be scanned and no way to stop the paper drink voucher from being used in the future. Unless the paper ticket can be scanned via QR, this won't work.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

But the paper ones do have a QR code.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
But the paper ones do have a QR code.
Theoretically the screenshot would work if there is a QR code, but it will be at the discretion of the FA. Give it a whirl, your friend has nothing to lose.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL PM
Also, if you currently have status/have any digital ones.. just send over a screenshot of one. That will definitely work!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Well that's my point. The digital ones they gladly take but a digital picture they will not take.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Did it have a barcode/QR code? If so as long as it was readable yhen should be fine. If no code to enter then yes they need the real coupon.

Exception is planes wiyh no FC. ie CRJ200 or E145. They need the actual printed coupon. No electornic handheld on these flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.