Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Question with regards to a International UG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, DL Platinum

I'm about to embark on a mileage run to ICN. My ATL to ICN UG cleared when I booked the flight 10 days ago but the leg returning (which still has five seats open) has not cleared. I fly ATL to ICN tomorrow morning flying in at 4:45pm then ICN to SEA leaving 6:50pm Friday afternoon.

Question is, is this situation usual for the UG not to clear this late in the game when there are five seats available and the flights leaves ICN tomorrow afternoon?

Appreciate any advice

Last edited by aspenedelen; Jul 19, 2017 at 12:19 pm
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Just curious...were you a DM previously and therefore have a couple of GUCs that you're trying to use? Otherwise how did you get upgraded already to ICN? Having also used a GUC to fly from ICN>SEA, I can tell you that it might not clear until an hour or so before departure!
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by audidudi
Just curious...were you a DM previously and therefore have a couple of GUCs that you're trying to use? Otherwise how did you get upgraded already to ICN? Having also used a GUC to fly from ICN>SEA, I can tell you that it might not clear until an hour or so before departure!
I was PM last year, made DM last Fall in early December if I'm correct. I've already used two of the GUC's for my birthday trip to Thailand this November so I have two left over I'm trying to burn.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aspenedelen
I'm about to embark on a mileage run to ICN. My ATL to ICN UG cleared when I booked the flight 10 days ago but the leg returning (which still has five seats open) has not cleared. I fly ATL to ICN tomorrow morning flying in at 4:45pm then ICN to SEA leaving 6:50pm Thursday afternoon.

Question is, is this situation usual for the UG not to clear this late in the game when there are five seats available and the flights leaves ICN tomorrow afternoon?

Appreciate any advice
Yes, it's pretty normal from my experience. I've cleared about 6 at the gate and I believe most of those had 5 or more seats open.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Do you mean you are on the SEA-ICN flight Friday? From your details, ATL-ICN departing tomorrow (Thurs) arrives Fri...

DL 198 ICN-SEA on Fri 7/21 is currently showing J6...Z5 for inventory with 5 seats unassigned so likely will be going to gate upgrades.
DL198 on Thurs 7/20 is wide open up front.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I was PM last year, made DM last Fall in early December if I'm correct. I've already used two of the GUC's for my birthday trip to Thailand this November so I have two left over I'm trying to burn.
Does this mean that you're currently DM?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by audidudi
Originally Posted by rylan
Do you mean you are on the SEA-ICN flight Friday? From your details, ATL-ICN departing tomorrow (Thurs) arrives Fri...

DL 198 ICN-SEA on Fri 7/21 is currently showing J6...Z5 for

​​​inventory with 5 seats unassigned so likely will be going to gate upgrades.
DL198 on Thurs 7/20 is wide open up front.
You are correct, I had my days mixed up. Way too much on my plate today before I head to LGA this afternoon. Flying OMA to LGA via DTW today then overnight at LGA catching a flight to ATL tomorrow morning then catching my flight tomorrow afternoon to ICN for 1.55 hours before my return back stateside.

I am on DL0027 which leaves tomorrow from ATL at 12:53pm and arrives at ICN at 4:45pm. At 6:50pm I turn around on DL0198 to SEA then onto ORD on DL2983 arriving at 11:02pm for work over the weekend then flying from ORD on Sunday to MSP then onto OMA and a two hour drive home.

Last edited by aspenedelen; Jul 19, 2017 at 12:22 pm
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does this mean that you're currently DM?
Correct
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
Yes, it's pretty normal from my experience. I've cleared about 6 at the gate and I believe most of those had 5 or more seats open.
Appreciate the information. Being a freshly minted DM it's hard for me to comprehend why but the business owner in me understands why
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:17 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I hope that you have a plan B, which such short turnaround time.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I'm about to embark on a mileage run to ICN. My ATL to ICN UG cleared when I booked the flight 10 days ago but the leg returning (which still has five seats open) has not cleared. I fly ATL to ICN tomorrow morning flying in at 4:45pm then ICN to SEA leaving 6:50pm Friday afternoon.

Appreciate any advice
For whatever reason, pretty much any ATL-ICN flight for now through September had confirmed-at-booking global upgrade availability when I was looking at a mileage/status-run to Asia.

You might try calling the diamond desk and asking if they can clear your return upgrade. If they say no today, call again tomorrow. Can't hurt. I'd also message @Delta on Twitter while in-fight to ICN using the on-board wireless internet. Again, can't hurt.

Perhaps you could even same-day change to DTW or ATL instead of SEA, if there was availability to do so and a confirmable upgrade.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by SDQBound
I hope you have a good amount of coffee/5hr energy to get through those days of work! Have fun, though, sounds like a great mileage run! Too bad you can't enjoy Seoul for a night.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SDQBound
Plan B is.. Well... Yeah... There is no plan B but if it happens I'll... Well.... Yeah that is gonna suck...
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
For whatever reason, pretty much any ATL-ICN flight for now through September had confirmed-at-booking global upgrade availability when I was looking at a mileage/status-run to Asia.

You might try calling the diamond desk and asking if they can clear your return upgrade. If they say no today, call again tomorrow. Can't hurt. I'd also message @Delta on Twitter while in-fight to ICN using the on-board wireless internet. Again, can't hurt.

Perhaps you could even same-day change to DTW or ATL instead of SEA, if there was availability to do so and a confirmable upgrade.
I've called the DM desk daily since this past Monday. I actually booked this flight a week ago today.

Appreciate the advice with the same day change with confirmable upgrade. I hadn't thought of that.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmarge18
I hope you have a good amount of coffee/5hr energy to get through those days of work! Have fun, though, sounds like a great mileage run! Too bad you can't enjoy Seoul for a night.

​​​​​Lots and lots of coffee. I'm currently in OMA waiting to board a flight to MSP (it was DTW but due to a delayed plane enroute my first leg is now changed) then onto LGA where I'll sleep in the airport tonight to catch my flight to ATL tomorrow morning then onto ICN.

I will say I am disappointed I will not be able to enjoy Seoul but hopefully if the plane arrives early I'll be able to sneak out of the airport and see what Korean soil looks like

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.