Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Goodbye NRT-PVG, hello ATL-PVG

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by pbarnette
There is a tendency to overstate the importance of diaspora populations in driving air traffic.

But, if the population of Asian or Chinese Americans are critical to the success of TPAC routes, then DL should seriously reconsider TPAC service from DTW and MSP, given that the Asian American populations in those two metro areas are substantially smaller than the ATL metro.
Except you forget that Toronto can be a feeder for Detroit. The Asian population there is huge; Toronto itself is majority-minority.

Whenever I fly back to Detroit and clear customs and immigration, I always see lots of Canadian passports.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
This is why Delta needs the 787. I think the 777 will be too big and the A350 would be way too big.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:43 pm

I think DL starting ATL-PVG will be successful.

To connect people to PVG from all over America, DL has three core strategies:

For ATL, connect people from Latin America, Central America, Mexico, and southern United States

For DTW, connect people from eastern United States, Canada (everything east of Windsor), and the midwestern United States (a la what UA/AA do at ORD)

For SEA, connect people from the Rocky Mountain and West Coast areas of the United States, and Canada (everything west of Windsor)

It's not foolproof, but it has potential to be a massive moneyprinter if executed correctly.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Except you forget that Toronto can be a feeder for Detroit. The Asian population there is huge; Toronto itself is majority-minority.
I didn't forget anything. Though it should be pointed out that YYZ-PVG is served nonstop by two carriers, and that NYC and ORD would also compete quite naturally with DTW as a connection point.

But, at any rate, I was disputing the argument that it takes a large local Asian American population for a route to be successful, not actually saying they should pull TPAC service from DTW.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
This is why Delta needs the 787. I think the 777 will be too big and the A350 would be way too big.
The 772 and the 789 are almost the exact same size. Delta's 77L have 290 seats and AA's 789 have 285 seats.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jfadool
The 772 and the 789 are almost the exact same size. Delta's 77L have 290 seats and AA's 789 have 285 seats.
Stop it with your facts.

Though, I suspect the OP was thinking of the 788. Not sure the economics really work with a 788, though.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
NRT-PVG was obviously a slot hoarding flight in every sense of the word, so it's great to see DL moving it over to something more substantial. If it doesn't work out commercially, I can see it being replaced by LAX-PEK.

Meanwhile, DL's downsizing of Japan is entirely down to its lack of Japanese partner. Any long haul route DL cancels out of Japan is almost guaranteed to be picked up by either NH or JL or one of their partners at some point. NH is beginning a 2nd NRT-LAX (which DL pulled out of last year) on top of HND-LAX, and I wouldn't be surprised to see NH start EWR-NRT or JL add a third JFK flight, on top of whatever new destinations they're willing to try out. With JL's government restrictions lifted now, who knows where their ambitions might take them - that 2:45AM 2nd HND-LHR flight might offer some hints.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA,DL
With ATL-PVG starting next year with a 77L, I think there's a very high chance that DTW-PVG will switch to the A359 next summer.

I'm kind of surprised DL went with ATL-PVG again and not try something else such as MSP-PVG or JFK-PVG, but with the partnership with MU and a much better schedule for connecting flights, I think the route has a higher chance to succeed this time around.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by deltaflyer08
With ATL-PVG starting next year with a 77L, I think there's a very high chance that DTW-PVG will switch to the A359 next summer.

I'm kind of surprised DL went with ATL-PVG again and not try something else such as MSP-PVG or JFK-PVG, but with the partnership with MU and a much better schedule for connecting flights, I think the route has a higher chance to succeed this time around.
My guess is because MSP-PVG would provide very little that DTW-PVG or even SEA-PVG can't provide where as ATL-PVG pulls from a bigger metro area for O&D, plus Delta's Caribbean and LatAm network and makes as much sense for much of the Southeast as going via DTW does.

With the new JV with KE, I think you'd see MSP-ICN before you ever see MSP-PVG, and that's if we even see MSP-ICN.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
We'll see how it goes this time. MU will help now, but it's still PVG, ICN is building as the preferred Asian gateway, and it's still a loonnngggg flight.

Originally Posted by jfadool
They're only almost the "same size" when the comparison is to the 789 at a relatively higher density. At similar densities, the sizes aren't very close, and of course the 788 is in a totally different field.

And that's only half the story. Cost-wise the 787 blows the 77L out of the water. 787s would help DL greatly with routes such as this.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
the A350 would be way too big.
It certainly isn't big enough, at least in terms of the business-class cabin.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
My guess is because MSP-PVG would provide very little that DTW-PVG or even SEA-PVG can't provide where as ATL-PVG pulls from a bigger metro area for O&D, plus Delta's Caribbean and LatAm network and makes as much sense for much of the Southeast as going via DTW does.
The 3 p.m. departure from Atlanta won't work that well with many of the incoming flights from the Caribbean and Latin American, as those don't arrive until late afternoon or early evening.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by motytrah
MSP-PVG has a PDEW of 36. MSP-TYO has a PDEW of 30. As a bench mark the other non-stop internationals are MSP-LHR (118), MSP-AMS (57), MSP-CDG (57), MSP-FRA (48).

If DL really does ratchet down the connections in NRT then MSP-PVG might become a reality for the connecting TPAC traffic. In particular since MSP-ICN only has a PDEW of 22. Could be a DL route or China Eastern.

Unclear how much the mall would actually directly pay any airline and the MSP MAC has been more concerned with getting MSP-MEX going.
Curious, where do you get those PDEW numbers from?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by minnyfly
They're only almost the "same size" when the comparison is to the 789 at a relatively higher density. At similar densities, the sizes aren't very close, and of course the 788 is in a totally different field.
If you look at carriers that operate both, such as BA, you are talking maybe 10 seats total difference, even accounting for variations in density.

Originally Posted by minnyfly
And that's only half the story. Cost-wise the 787 blows the 77L out of the water. 787s would help DL greatly with routes such as this.
In an environment of low fuel costs, I'm not convinced the difference in cost is that significant.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The 3 p.m. departure from Atlanta won't work that well with many of the incoming flights from the Caribbean and Latin American, as those don't arrive until late afternoon or early evening.
It also doesn't work well with the big deep South American routes, as most flights are red-eyes both ways. It appears to be U.S./China-based timing.

Originally Posted by pbarnette
If you look at carriers that operate both, such as BA, you are talking maybe 10 seats total difference, even accounting for variations in density.

In an environment of low fuel costs, I'm not convinced the difference in cost is that significant.
Look at AF for the best comparison. A carrier with both dense 9-across 789s (276 seats) and 10-across 772s with the same type of J/W seat. Their two 772 configurations compared to their 789 configuration yield either:

+10J
+3W
-9Y
(280 seats)

or

-2J
+3W
+35Y
(312 seats)

As you can see, not the same size. You're looking about a 10% difference in size at comparable densities. That would help with lower route demand requirements for good yields.

Low fuel helps no matter what the price. We're talking in the thousands of dollars saved every ATL-PVG flight even at today's low price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.