Comfort + Un-Requested Upgrade

Old Jul 17, 17, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Platinum UA-Silver
Question Comfort + Un-Requested Upgrade

I select the box for automatic upgrades to 1st only when booking as I want to avoid the "Upgrade" to a Comfort + middle seat, from a superior main cabin exit seat.

Yesterday I was way down the list for an upgrade to 1st so I assumed I would be sitting in my main cabin exit seat. I was automatically upgraded to Comfort +. It was a window seat on the 2 side of a MD-88 so I was ok with it, however if I had been upgraded to a inferior middle seat, I would have been annoyed. I had a short connection and my flight was boarding so not much time to change my seat with GA.

My question, why was I automatically upgraded to Comfort +?

I choose my seats carefully and if I can't get the upgrade to 1st I usually rather stick with my seat.

I was going to post this in the upgrade success thread, but it seems like a different situation, feel free to merge into another thread if this has been asked.
Old Jul 17, 17, 1:15 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Platinum; sometimes other things too
There have been a few reports of this -- I think the short answer is, the whole opt-out process doesn't seem to work reliably. Unfortunately the best/only advice at this point is to keep a close eye on your bookings.
Old Jul 17, 17, 1:28 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Keith2004 View Post
I select the box for automatic upgrades to 1st only when booking as I want to avoid the "Upgrade" to a Comfort + middle seat, from a superior main cabin exit seat.

Yesterday I was way down the list for an upgrade to 1st so I assumed I would be sitting in my main cabin exit seat. I was automatically upgraded to Comfort +. It was a window seat on the 2 side of a MD-88 so I was ok with it, however if I had been upgraded to a inferior middle seat, I would have been annoyed. I had a short connection and my flight was boarding so not much time to change my seat with GA.

I choose my seats carefully and if I can't get the upgrade to 1st I usually rather stick with my seat.

I was going to post this in the upgrade success thread, but it seems like a different situation, feel free to merge into another thread if this has been asked.
do you know when you were upgraded (i.e. was it before or after the gate took control)?
Old Jul 17, 17, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn View Post
do you know when you were upgraded (i.e. was it before or after the gate took control)?
I'm assuming after but I'm not sure, the upgrade happened while I was in the air on my first leg, I found out about 45 mins b4 the flight.

(I was upgraded to 1st on the initial leg of the trip)
Old Jul 17, 17, 8:13 pm

For about 3 weeks in April this seemed to happen to me on many flights (5+), and neither the GA's nor anybody on here seemed to be able to answer it.

My hypothesis began to be that because I have Window seats listed in my preferences (and most have aisle), the window available in C+ that I always got must have skipped over the people ahead of me on the upgrade list, but obviously that's pure speculation.

Similarly mine also always seemed to clear either at the gate or in the air on the first segment, this was never done well ahead of time. I would always approach the podium in puzzlement when they called my name and handed me the new BP
Old Jul 17, 17, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jk88usa View Post
For about 3 weeks in April this seemed to happen to me on many flights (5+), and neither the GA's nor anybody on here seemed to be able to answer it.

My hypothesis began to be that because I have Window seats listed in my preferences (and most have aisle), the window available in C+ that I always got must have skipped over the people ahead of me on the upgrade list, but obviously that's pure speculation.

Similarly mine also always seemed to clear either at the gate or in the air on the first segment, this was never done well ahead of time. I would always approach the podium in puzzlement when they called my name and handed me the new BP
Is there any way to get unupgraded back to ur original seat that late in the game?
I guess I just have to watch my app carefully especially on flights with connections, not the first time delta IT has given "gifts"
Old Jul 18, 17, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is there any way to get unupgraded back to ur original seat that late in the game?
I guess I just have to watch my app carefully especially on flights with connections, not the first time delta IT has given "gifts"
The problem is that the old seat you picked usually is given to another passenger instantly and DL refused to undo this.
Old Jul 18, 17, 8:31 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I'm assuming after but I'm not sure, the upgrade happened while I was in the air on my first leg, I found out about 45 mins b4 the flight.

(I was upgraded to 1st on the initial leg of the trip)
My guess then is that the gate agent did it, the agent probably saw you had a window and figured you were declining C+ upgrades just to avoid middle seats, and since there was a window available that you wouldn't mind.

Several gate agents I've talked to said they won't upgrade people at the gate into middle seats without asking. I am not sure if they can even see if you've opted out of C+ upgrades but there are people in this forum who could tell us.
Old Jul 18, 17, 8:37 am

The only thing you can really do is approach the GA about it, and like the poster above said, the seat you originally had is almost always gone. I never did complain about getting the C+ upgrade because I was always put into a window, but if it were a middle seat I certainly would've said something.

I also had another set of issues on connecting flights where I would be upgraded at the gate into F on the first flight, and my C+ seat on the 2nd flight would suddenly disappear at the same time. In these cases I did approach the GA and usually they were able to get some C+ seat back for me. You're not the only one with "gifts" from IT
Old Jul 18, 17, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
The problem is that the old seat you picked usually is given to another passenger instantly and DL refused to undo this.
That makes sense, just lame all around. I guess my only recourse would be to complain and maybe have some Skymiles thrown my way as consolation

I have a couple trips coming up where I am in 21A/F on the 739*, one of those exit row seats with no seat in front, if my 1st class upgrade doesn't clear and I get put in a Comfort + middle seat or any Comfort + seat for that matter

I'm sitting on drink vouchers and I get Sky-priority from my status, Comfort + is useless to me if I have an exit row seat

*Side note these are BWI-MSP-BWI flights
Old Jul 18, 17, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn View Post
My guess then is that the gate agent did it, the agent probably saw you had a window and figured you were declining C+ upgrades just to avoid middle seats, and since there was a window available that you wouldn't mind.

Several gate agents I've talked to said they won't upgrade people at the gate into middle seats without asking. I am not sure if they can even see if you've opted out of C+ upgrades but there are people in this forum who could tell us.
This makes sense and in the case of this flight I didn't mind the seat change, but there are exit row seats that are superior to comfort plus seats.

If this is true it definitely makes sense, Middle seats should not be included in automatic or GA upgrades to begin with
Old Jul 18, 17, 9:23 am

Programs: Delta
I have a couple trips coming up where I am in 21A/F on the 739*, one of those exit row seats with no seat in front,

*Side note these are BWI-MSP-BWI flights
So YOU'RE the one stealing my favorite seat with acres of legroom on my BWI-MSP flights.

Old Jul 18, 17, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeltaDunce View Post
So YOU'RE the one stealing my favorite seat with acres of legroom on my BWI-MSP flights.

Stay tuned thanks to Delta IT the seat may become available at check in
Old Jul 18, 17, 11:13 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I was "upgraded" to 1B on a CR2 yesterday about 45 minutes before departure. I was second in line to board and the guy in front of me was also "upgraded" from his exit row to 1D. He was a bit irate and told the GA that he couldn't sit in a bulkhead due to having knee problems. His seat was given away and they told him he was SOL. He sat in his original exit row anyway.
Old Jul 18, 17, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yohanson View Post
I was "upgraded" to 1B on a CR2 yesterday about 45 minutes before departure. I was second in line to board and the guy in front of me was also "upgraded" from his exit row to 1D. He was a bit irate and told the GA that he couldn't sit in a bulkhead due to having knee problems. His seat was given away and they told him he was SOL. He sat in his original exit row anyway.
Some of those F bulkheads are tight -- I noticed the A320 the other day seemed so, I would not be happy there.

The easiest solution is to accept the upgrade, find the person in your original seat, and give them your boarding pass. Unless it's a 6'5" pax who would hate the bulkhead more.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: