Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DLSuites
Thanks for the warm welcome.

GUC's are definitely next to impossible to use. Personally, my most traveled route is JFK-LAX and I have a pretty good clearance rate with using RUC's. In fact, I even wound up using my last global's for JFK-LAX-JFK flights I found that by picking the A330, your chances of clearing are very good and, you get the lounge access. My travel is all leisure so I can pick and choose travel dates and travel times to best suite OY availability. Even if I do make DM for 2020, and I might, like you, I don't think I would even pick the GUC's.
It really comes down to route. If you’re flying a long route with heavy premium demand on busy travel days - like ATL-ICN or DTW-NRT or LAX-SYD or ATL-JNB - it’s going to be a dice roll. But if you are flying more leisure focused routes or thinner routes on off days - JFK-secondary europe markets, SEA-Asia, etc. - GUC availability is surprisingly open.

Depending on how flexible you can be, you may be able to book a different routing or date that will significantly improve your chances of the upgrade clearing...
jmgriffin likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mikeef
<snip>I knew I could make Diamond, and figured that Delta's restrictions would mean that I'd have an easier time getting upgrades and using the benefits.
I don't mean to seem rude, but seriously? What in the world would make you think that? If one spends any time at all on the AA,UA, or DL forums, there does not seem to be any evidence, whatsoever, that elite benefits/upgrades are any easier on any one of the three vs. the other...

Regards
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
GUC's are definitely next to impossible to use. Personally, my most traveled route is JFK-LAX and I have a pretty good clearance rate with using RUC's. In fact, I even wound up using my last global's for JFK-LAX-JFK flights I found that by picking the A330, your chances of clearing are very good and, you get the lounge access. My travel is all leisure so I can pick and choose travel dates and travel times to best suite OY availability. Even if I do make DM for 2020, and I might, like you, I don't think I would even pick the GUC's.
It very much depends. I've chosen GUCs since they were first offered and I've never had one not clear weeks before the flight -- if not soon after booking. The trips I use them on are all LAX-XXX-EU. The closest I've come to a miss was I was flying LAX-JFK-PRG and JFK-PRG cleared at application but LAX-JFK didn't. That morning I was #2 for 0 so it didn't look good. Then the flight went MX and I would miss my connection and was re-routed LAX-CDG-PRG. A couple of other times flying thru JFK the LAX-JFK leg went to the gate.

I'm dropping to PM and I am most sad about losing the GUCs.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by scubadu
I don't mean to seem rude, but seriously? What in the world would make you think that? If one spends any time at all on the AA,UA, or DL forums, there does not seem to be any evidence, whatsoever, that elite benefits/upgrades are any easier on any one of the three vs. the other...

Regards
Figured it couldn't be any worse, since AA hands out CK at a rate far higher than DL does 360.

Sadly, FT is not a very good sampling size for what happens in the real world. I'm told that we tend to get a bit obsessive about miles and upgrades.

Mike
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I did not know if the route I take (to PVG from ATL, DTW or SEA) are more easy to use the GUC.
But on all flight I want to use them, it is always clear (even on my next flight in end Jan/Feb it is already clear).

On my side, I come from Flying Blue and I am VERY satisfy with the Skymiles program. I estimate the value of the Diamond choice benefit at +- 10K usd (for me)
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
<snip>
Sadly, FT is not a very good sampling size for what happens in the real world. I'm told that we tend to get a bit obsessive about miles and upgrades.
Oh, I agree with that but the exceedingly long upgrade lists that you can generally see with your own eyes on the gate monitor (or app) at the airport have nothing to do with the sample size of FT.

The world is rapidly moving to a want first/premium, buy first/premium model. Delta has made abundantly clear, in writing I believe (e.g. investor presentations) their intent to continue shifting the mix of paid vs. upgrade (and I don't mean shifting in our favor)

Regards
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:47 pm

Oh, I agree with that but the exceedingly long upgrade lists that you can generally see with your own eyes on the gate monitor (or app) at the airport have nothing to do with the sample size of FT.

The world is rapidly moving to a want first/premium, buy first/premium model. Delta has made abundantly clear, in writing I believe (e.g. investor presentations) their intent to continue shifting the mix of paid vs. upgrade (and I don't mean shifting in our favor)

Regards
I think the pay for upgrade is route specific. For many of us who fly under corporate policy rules, we don’t have the ability to charge upgrades and get them reimbursed. There are route exceptions to this: trans-con, over the ponds etc. But at some point, dropping let’s say $150 for upgrading segments just isn’t in the cards on a repeat basis. Sure, there are some routes and aircraft where we may splurge. But this won’t occur on a consistent basis. The Delta first product is fine. But by the mere fact I’ve never paid for an upgrade is quite telling to the true value I place on them. If they give it to me, I’ll be the first to say sure. When they pop up and ask if I want to buy or exchange miles, I simply laugh.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by FF524
For many of us who fly under corporate policy rules, we don’t have the ability to charge upgrades and get them reimbursed.
Nor should you have that ability. I fly both for business (occasionally) and pleasure (mostly), but I don't expect my employer to put me upfront, excepting some occasional circumstances.

Regards
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
DL doesn't need just road warriors buying the UGs, though. If they get 2 or 3 twice-a-year vacationers to bite on every flight, that's a consistent 2 or 3 fewer UG spots on every flight.

Don't underestimate the number of people out there who consistently pay $29/person on their DL Gold Amex to use the SkyClub for an hour before their ATL-TPA flight. These are the same people who are most likely to drop $79 on a one-way FC upgrade on that same flight.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by gooselee
DL doesn't need just road warriors buying the UGs, though. If they get 2 or 3 twice-a-year vacationers to bite on every flight, that's a consistent 2 or 3 fewer UG spots on every flight.

Don't underestimate the number of people out there who consistently pay $29/person on their DL Gold Amex to use the SkyClub for an hour before their ATL-TPA flight. These are the same people who are most likely to drop $79 on a one-way FC upgrade on that same flight.
I don't *understand* those people. You just aren't getting $29 value out of that club unless you are there for hours and hours. DL has a good scheme going.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by marcworld
I don't *understand* those people. You just aren't getting $29 value out of that club unless you are there for hours and hours. DL has a good scheme going.
I don't either. But they exist, and in great numbers.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:46 am

This depends greatly on what you value and whether $29 is a large or vanishingly small amount of money to someone, accounting for income/net worth.

Not everyone uses airport lounges just to try maximize alcohol/food intake in a given period of time.

Regards
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: Delta, Marriott and Avis
When will DL do the downgrades from DM to PM for everyone from last years changes? I am guessing Feb 2019?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Nor should you have that ability. I fly both for business (occasionally) and pleasure (mostly), but I don't expect my employer to put me upfront, excepting some occasional circumstances.

Regards
Side note: I work for a large corporation whose policy is that they'll pay for the lowest logical airfare and, if I want to upgrade, I can pay for it myself. Perfectly reasonable. What's odd is that, after 7+ years with the company, I have yet to figure out the mechanism to do so, i.e., buy the ticket and write a check, buy it on the corporate site and then go back to Delta for the upgrade, etc. I know it sounds odd, but nobody in the company can tell me the proper way to book it. It's kind of like the YBYL policy; nobody knows what it really is.

It depends, I guess, on what you value. It would probably be fair to say that the marginal cost of the average additional passenger is well below $29, but a person who needs a quiet room to do a meeting or finds some enjoyment in the free food, drink and relative peace, might be happy to pay.

Mike
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Depends on the club. In ATL, SEA, etc. one could easily get $29 in value in just an hour or so especially if they go to one of the bigger clubs with a larger food selection (New B, E, or F in ATL, the newest club at SEA, etc.). Otherwise one could easily spend near that amount on a meal and a drink or two in a terminal restaurant especially with airport terminal prices. One could make the argument that you could get a better quality meal (food) for $29 at an airport restaurant versus the buffet at the club, but one can offset some of that by having a couple drinks which would be priced pretty high in those restaurants. So to each their own based on what they value. I think one could easily get a $29 value with about ~1 hour in a SkyClub. That's less than the consensus on FT when it comes to FCM buy-ups which is often ~$0.01/minute of flight time (ie. some on FT see a good value for a buy-up if the buy-up for a 4 hour flight is around $240).

Originally Posted by gooselee
Keep in mind that some of that buy-up for a non-status pax on economy tickets buys things that we're often used to getting complimentary because of our status that they otherwise wouldn't get or would have to pay for with their economy ticket. If a non-status passenger is planning to check bags, $79 becomes a lot less of a premium for F when F would include checked bags that is now $30 for the first bag and $40 for the second. So if a passenger has a choice of $79 for FC and getting "Free" bags or paying $70 at check-in for two bags, it becomes a bit of a no-brainer. The past couple trips my parents have been on to HI, they've bought F for the island hopper flights on HA. It's not that they needed F for a flight that is ~15-20 minutes takeoff to touchdown but they saw that the premium for FC over Economy was basically the same as what two checked bags would have costs anyway, so why wouldn't they buy-up at that point?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.