Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Just looked, and my DLAX spend is updated, although none of my cards have closed the DEC billing cycle yet. Nothing is really “tracking” just yet, and I’ve got a lot more than $25K on my Amex since 01 JAN. I should hit $250K within Q1.

Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by TheHorta

Well... that’s a secret, but I will say it involves a Starship.
Don't tell me, you built this status on Rock 'n Roll?

Mike
Zorak and TheHorta like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bergamini
Because I used personals funds of ~ $1K (FCM, Flex tickets, etc) to hit the spend requirement based upon my expected travels. I would have qualified for the waiver. I followed the rules and incurred the loss of personal funds to meet the DM goal. If I lose an upgrade, or a RUC, or a GUC or SkyMiles award space because of someone with a waiver, then I've been punished for following the rules and spending 4 figures extra.
The problem, of course, is that not everyone is on Flyertalk. If Delta believes that granting a waiver to somebody who didn't hit the MQD threshold will earn it more money next year, it will do so without any guilt or a second thought. It doesn't have to worry about anyone else finding out about the waiver, since 99.9% of its elite base isn't on FT, paying attention to these things. And then, it will happily accept your extra ~$1k, knowing that you likely won't know any different. And if you do, Delta assumes that you won't undergo the switching costs to move over to United or AA.

Sad but true, and probably the most lucrative result for Delta's owners (i.e., the shareholders).

Mike
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL: 2MM/DM Marriott: LT Platinum
Originally Posted by sacaptiva
Asked for Waiver last week it showed up today for me.
Spend was @230k?
Asked DL for AMEX spend waiver around Dec 20th, waited for a week without any response. Decided to pay my taxes on credit card to reach $250k spend... Next day I get a waiver email from Delta :-) :-( Oh well, you win some you lose some.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by shukar
Asked DL for AMEX spend waiver around Dec 20th, waited for a week without any response. Decided to pay my taxes on credit card to reach $250k spend... Next day I get a waiver email from Delta :-) :-( Oh well, you win some you lose some.
how do you pay your taxes on your credit card? do they charge you a service fee?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Originally Posted by frankflieslots
how do you pay your taxes on your credit card? do they charge you a service fee?
Assuming you're in the USA (safe bet given you'd not have a MQD requirement otherwise) and paying federal taxes, the IRS has three approved payment processors that take credit cards at varying fees: https://www.irs.gov/payments/pay-tax...-or-debit-card

IME, 1.87% from pay1040.com is quite low (especially for American Express) compared to other places. At $250,000, you're still paying a hair under $5k for the privilege of the MQD waiver, but you're also getting at least 250k RDM (at 1cpp that's 2.5k back in value) + the MQM and other mileage boosts on top of that 250k RDM. This, on top of the DM benefits you wouldn't have otherwise gotten, is not bad.

If you're a business, I believe you can write down that 1.87% as well, which probably shifts the calculus fairly close to being worth it if you're going to make use of the RDM, GUCs, etc.
cliburn likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
I’ll add... assuming you play your cards right, if you spread $250K out over the 4 max AX cards, you’ll get your 250K RDMs for spend, plus 100K MQMs, plus another 100K bonus RDMs, for a total of 350K, plus 4 RUCs at PM, plus 4 GUCs at DM, plus already have SC access via AX Reserve, so a double dip of 25K more RDMs, for a grand total of 400K RDMs, strategic R/GUC usage can easily save $10K, plus all of the other small advantages of DM — better phone support, SDS/C, coterminal, RDM redeposit, upgrades, automatic C+, and bendy plastic brag tags.

If you’re a lucky schmuck like me and you don’t need to MS and pay a penny in fees, then it’s a no-brainer.
rogo likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mikeef
The problem, of course, is that not everyone is on Flyertalk. If Delta believes that granting a waiver to somebody who didn't hit the MQD threshold will earn it more money next year, it will do so without any guilt or a second thought. It doesn't have to worry about anyone else finding out about the waiver, since 99.9% of its elite base isn't on FT, paying attention to these things. And then, it will happily accept your extra ~$1k, knowing that you likely won't know any different. And if you do, Delta assumes that you won't undergo the switching costs to move over to United or AA.

Sad but true, and probably the most lucrative result for Delta's owners (i.e., the shareholders).

Mike
I don't dispute their right to offer the waiver, I just feel pretty strongly it should be open and honest but zero chance of that happening. I left Northwest for LUV when they opened up in MKE and after I hit MM later this year, I will re-evaluate if I go back to LUV. Our current travel policy includes Business Select tickets. But I'm for sure going to see what DM is like this year after the alleged reduction and since I have more roll-over than planned and some Asian trips early this year, DM will happen sooner than most for me. But I swear some day I'll be willing to switch!
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Delta denied me the waiver, my MQMs were just above 125K and my Amex spend was not very high at $112K.
I love the email:
"We are not offering exceptions or making changes to the Diamond's Elite requirements. While we sincerely appreciate your business and interest in the Medallion program, in fairness to the Diamond members who have achieved their status by meeting the published requirements, we must decline your request."
The irony.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by daloosh
Delta denied me the waiver, my MQMs were just above 125K and my Amex spend was not very high at $112K.
I love the email:
"We are not offering exceptions or making changes to the Diamond's Elite requirements. While we sincerely appreciate your business and interest in the Medallion program, in fairness to the Diamond members who have achieved their status by meeting the published requirements, we must decline your request."
The irony.
What was your MQD?

ETA: Sorry. Although I'm opposed to the waiver, for those where it's been inconsistently applied it must be frustrating.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:17 am

What was your MQD?
ETA: Sorry. Although I'm opposed to the waiver, for those where it's been inconsistently applied it must be frustrating.
My MQDs were only half the waiver amount, so pretty low there too. I was rather lucky this year to be able to buy fairly well in advance and have to change very few flights. It's not a terrible result, I expected plat with rollover, and when it became clear I would cross 125K MQMs I gave some thought to asking for the waiver. I concluded there was no harm in asking, especially since it seemed DL was giving the exceptions out like candy. But as the year ended, it appeared that exceptions were drying up.

Looking at it as a whole, with half the MQDs and half the Amex spend, I can understand how my situation is different than some FTers who were a grand short of MQDs or $20K short of $250K. It's just funny in the context of our conversation in this thread, especially for the outraged Diamonds, for Customer Support to tell me about "fairness to the Diamond members who have acheived their status by meeting the published requirements."

I'll just have to steel myself to boarding after C+ and not getting GUCs! And do my extra flying on another airline.

Last edited by daloosh; Jan 16, 2019 at 7:22 am
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:40 am
Suspended

I'll just have to steel myself to boarding after C+ and not getting GUCs! And do my extra flying on another airline.
As a plat, you will get C+ at booking (in most cases) just like Diamond so your boarding place will only slide down one notch. I'm a DM since inception and will side down the elite totem pole myself this year. I decided DL plat is still better than all the other US airlines and when it comes right down to it, C+ is for the most part just as good as F class.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by DLSuites
As a plat, you will get C+ at booking (in most cases) just like Diamond so your boarding place will only slide down one notch. I'm a DM since inception and will side down the elite totem pole myself this year. I decided DL plat is still better than all the other US airlines and when it comes right down to it, C+ is for the most part just as good as F class.
Welcome to FT, DLSuites, we hope you stay awhile, learn some stuff and make some friends! Yep, if I can continue to buy in advance this year, I'll get C+, so I'll admit to adding a little drama to my closing above. And while GUCs would be nice, they're as difficult to use as RUCs. While I was briefly contemplating DM, I was thinking of just taking the 25K miles instead of GUCs.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't dispute their right to offer the waiver, I just feel pretty strongly it should be open and honest but zero chance of that happening. I left Northwest for LUV when they opened up in MKE and after I hit MM later this year, I will re-evaluate if I go back to LUV. Our current travel policy includes Business Select tickets. But I'm for sure going to see what DM is like this year after the alleged reduction and since I have more roll-over than planned and some Asian trips early this year, DM will happen sooner than most for me. But I swear some day I'll be willing to switch!
You and I are in complete agreement. It would be better if they were open about it, but we know that's not going to happen.

I switched from AA partly because of the inability to use GUCs, even for CKs (not me, but my most recent flight had CKs on the waitlist using upgrade certs). I knew I could make Diamond, and figured that Delta's restrictions would mean that I'd have an easier time getting upgrades and using the benefits. Right now, I'm waiting on a GUC to clear for a flight ATLNRT in March. We'll see if that clears...

Mike
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:27 am
Suspended

Welcome to FT, DLSuites, we hope you stay awhile, learn some stuff and make some friends! Yep, if I can continue to buy in advance this year, I'll get C+, so I'll admit to adding a little drama to my closing above. And while GUCs would be nice, they're as difficult to use as RUCs. While I was briefly contemplating DM, I was thinking of just taking the 25K miles instead of GUCs.
Thanks for the warm welcome.

GUC's are definitely next to impossible to use. Personally, my most traveled route is JFK-LAX and I have a pretty good clearance rate with using RUC's. In fact, I even wound up using my last global's for JFK-LAX-JFK flights I found that by picking the A330, your chances of clearing are very good and, you get the lounge access. My travel is all leisure so I can pick and choose travel dates and travel times to best suite OY availability. Even if I do make DM for 2020, and I might, like you, I don't think I would even pick the GUC's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.