Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lovecabo

I still have my plastic charter member bag tag, and qualified for DM two more years. Then with the advent of GoToMeeting and other tools I cut back my flying. It was a terrible thing to return to “ordinary” status after having a taste of the good life, but I got over it. Now retired, I only fly because I want to and rely on my 2MM GM status to get a few perks. I guess now that half of each plane will no longer be DM it will make getting on a little easier.
DL is changing their boarding groups again, but as a GM, having fewer DMs (with most of the former DMs staying as PMs rather than dropping further in status or leaving DL) won't change the number of people above you on the upgrade list. At best the DM>>>PM crowd will be boarding with you rather than before you, but IIFC premium select and C+ will now board before you, so there could be more or fewer in the groups ahead of the new SKY.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
I think I know the answer to this, but has anyone had luck getting a waiver for the following situation? MQMS only 102K, credit cards way over 250K... previous DM every year since inception circa 2010, flying cut down this year due to family member health issues. Real low MQDS as I usually pay with miles.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Originally Posted by RobertS975
I think I know the answer to this, but has anyone had luck getting a waiver for the following situation? MQMS only 102K, credit cards way over 250K... previous DM every year since inception circa 2010, flying cut down this year due to family member health issues. Real low MQDS as I usually pay with miles.
Welcome to Platinum!
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You'll have 27,000 MQMs rollover, so it should be pretty easy for you to re-earn DM midway through the year.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by TheHorta
1) Yes, this is a serious post.

2) This is from a seasoned (15+ years) DM Desk agent, so not a Deep Throat source.

Per this rep (about an hour ago), they emphatically stated that, as a result of the new waiver, DM ranks plummeted from ~60K in 2018 to ~40K for 2019.

*IF* this is true, or reasonably accurate, this is SPECTACULAR news. This is not an insignificant reduction in the ranks.

While it doesn't deter me from stumping for a Double Diamond-like $30K/250K tier, this is a step in the right direction.

Thank you, Delta!
Now, I wish they would up the minimum spend to $25K.

THIS IS FANTASTIC NEWS.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Doesn't hurt to ask. Looks like they care a lot about the AMEX spend.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:20 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
TIL bubba had $25,001 MQD in 2018
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by FBplatinum
Did you mean most Diamond here are not "profitable" for Delta ?

I pass the 125K MQM & 15K MQD without problem (with mix of Y & J), I "believe" to be profitable for Delta... I am wrong?

I feel the 125K & 15K is quite "reasonable" for a Diamond status... you will place the requirement more high ? (do not forget... Delta must not "lost" to many customers to competition because they put the requirement too high for their highest level...)
Originally Posted by rogo
I'm sure you're nicely profitable to Delta.
Why is $15k spend "nicely" profitable to Delta?

Put another way, the first thing we hear about airline profits are inevitably ancillary fees, and in particular bag fees. All other things being equal, a non-status traveler is more "profitable" than a top tier elite buying the same ticket, since the non-status traveler is probably paying bag fees, possibly paying other fees (SDC, seat upgrades, etc), gets fewer redeemable miles, doesn't get lounge access, and doesn't get free upgrades. The non-status traveler is also less likely to be traveling on a corporate (discounted) contract. On two identical face value tickets, DL almost certainly gets more money from the non-status traveler.

What the elite does get DL is more predictable revenue (since you're a repeat customer) and lower advertising costs (since you're probably going to stick with DL to enjoy or maintain your status), and maybe the occasional fee (change fees, end of year MQM buy ups).

Of course, it's next to impossible to say if a given person is profitable. The best you can probably say is that your average cost per mile is above the airline's average break even cost, or that you contribute more to cash flow. From a customer's perspective, who cares? Either DL sells me the service I want at the price I'm willing to pay or they don't. It doesn't matter to me if I'm "profitable" or not.
bdschobel and 3Cforme like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
My rollover just showed up, and with a total of four RTs this month, I'll only need 30k more MQMs plus the spending criterion to make DM for the rest of 2019 plus 2020. I may try to play the China Eastern or Virgin Atlantic MQD game to get to 15k MQDs. If true, that they lopped 20k DMs from the list should make PM a lot better.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:11 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Now, I wish they would up the minimum spend to $25K.

THIS IS FANTASTIC NEWS.
If they do that, I hope I'm able to get granted my 1 time waiver as I didn't need it this year This waiver thing has really p...ed me off!
Seabilly likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
I bet Bubba did not like to share toys when he was a kid. He probably is someone that gets up first when plane is unloading, gets his bag, and stands in the way so no one else can stand up. Just kidding. I believe $15.0 is ample. Share a little bit Bubba
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
On one hand, the idea that 60k DMs have been culled to 40k is really good news to me. Now i'm even more special!

But I wonder, what is the practical effect. Because -- if you were getting DM because of the waiver, you aren't actually flying all that much. So, how many of my flights (i'm in air every single week) are actually packed with the waiver-cheaters anyway? Aren't those people just occasional travelers and probably not on my biz-commute Mon/Thu regular routes, which are the hardest for me to get upgraded on?

Yes I know I antagonized people with the word "cheater". Joking. Ish. (I used to be a cheater too!)
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by marcworld
So, how many of my flights (i'm in air every single week) are actually packed with the waiver-cheaters anyway? Aren't those people just occasional travelers and probably not on my biz-commute Mon/Thu regular routes, which are the hardest for me to get upgraded on?
Delta changed the MQD waiver, not the MQM requirement for Diamond.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Delta changed the MQD waiver, not the MQM requirement for Diamond.
Yes I know that.

Point is, I'm wondering exactly what kind of travelers these demoted 20k people are.

Are they flying a ton but buying cheap tickets LUXV? In that case, it won't matter to me either if I'm always booking in KQM etc.

My hypothesis is that competition will remain fierce for my particular routes. I can't imagine those people I'm all fighting with, on the upgrade list, are waiver folks. Just a hunch.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
I believe there are more than 60.0 Diamonds

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.