Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
that sounds the same as "the truth is not the truth"
Well... Delta SkyMiles is """"""A""""" award winning rewards program (but they did NOOOOOOOOT win cuz Alaska won). So what you said!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pulpfiction78
Those of us who play the Amex Spend game; it is just that, a game, of trying to get status without flying, or spending, a LOT. I ended up on the DM side of the fence so I don't care, but I'm sure I would be bummed if I ended up on the other, PM or lesser, side.

Delta can do whatever they want and that unfortunately also includes waiving their rules and letting someone jump the fence. I sense there must have been a memo circulated to tighten down the ropes, but a select few agents continue to grant waivers.

It's not like the waiver amount was announced mid-year, it was announced in September 2017. They had their reasons and the outrage cannot be of surprise to them.
I doubt they are too worried about the outrage. I know several people that roll over a Million MQMS a year at Amex 25k they would be DM for 5 plus years, but not flying anymore
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I was granted the waiver by corporate customer care. But now that it’s 2019, I’m showing as only PM. Anyone else who was granted the waiver, what does your account look like?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by TheHorta
Gotta go with Door #2 on that one, Bob!
It took me two follow ups after the request was granted in late November. But effective today, my account shows Diamond through 2020.

FWIW, I could have made the 250k with only $8,500 in more spend for 2018. I didn't think I would have the surge that I did in December. Nevertheless, I am now no longer going to attempt or rely on the MQD waiver, instead I will shift spend to other means and outright purchase more J travel (as opposed to relying predominately on J mileage redemptions).
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
I was granted the waiver by corporate customer care. But now that it’s 2019, I’m showing as only PM. Anyone else who was granted the waiver, what does your account look like?
I would call as I think they may have to manually adjust your Medallion level. That's what they told me I would need to do when I was given a waiver and called in early 2018 about it because the waiver wasn't showing on my profile (still showed that I needed to get to $250K spend on the AmEx). I didn't meet the DM MQM threshold (decided to opt for the rollover instead given a change in location and potentially less travel over shorter distances too) so I won't be calling them myself to ask about it.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: Delta, Southwest, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
My account is showing me as Diamond. I was granted waivers in September.

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Stoshbygosh

As of now, the only thing that has changed is the banner for "2019 Status" from Platinum to Diamond.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:22 pm

I sent an email yesterday on Delta's website requesting a waiver and it was granted today. For what it is worth, I have been a 2mm, diamond since inception and a platinum many years before that. I had 170K MQM, 210,000 AmEx spend, but was short on MQD.
Renes Points likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ALAtide
I sent an email yesterday on Delta's website requesting a waiver and it was granted today. For what it is worth, I have been a 2mm, diamond since inception and a platinum many years before that. I had 170K MQM, 210,000 AmEx spend, but was short on MQD.
Welcome to FT and thanks for the data point--well done!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: Skymiles Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Premier
My DP,

MQM 137K
MQD 14.7K ($231 short)
Amex spending $26K

Sent an email on 1/1 and received a rejection today. They even use the MQM rollover to be implemented as an excuse.

A bit bit surprised and disappointed given all the data I have seen here.

Last edited by liger; Jan 4, 2019 at 11:15 pm
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by ALAtide
Similar boat here. I had 260k MQM, 241,000 Amex spend (although about 20k less when waiver was granted), and about 7k short of MQDs.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by liger
My DP,

MQM 137K
MQD 147K ($231 short)
Amex spending $26K

Sent an email on 1/1 and received a rejection today. They even use the MQM rollover to be implemented as an excuse.

Yeah, I'd think 147K MQD would be a sure thing! Seriously though, Delta clearly values Amex spend as a revenue source. But shame on you for missing out by 231 MQDs.
jamesteroh and TheHorta like this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
My DP,

MQM 137K
MQD 147K ($231 short)
Amex spending $26K

Did you want to say....
MQD 14.7K ... (not 147K)
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:54 am

Programs: Skymiles Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
Yeah, I'd think 147K MQD would be a sure thing! Seriously though, Delta clearly values Amex spend as a revenue source. But shame on you for missing out by 231 MQDs.
I know. I didn’t realize that until very late in Dec. some business trips to Asia did not pan out in 2018.

Originally Posted by FBplatinum
Did you want to say....
MQD 14.7K ... (not 147K)
Yes I did. Corrected. Thanks.

Also an update. I sent a reply after realizing that the agent wasn’t even looking at my account closely before sending out a rejection. She mentioned that many people asked for exception when MQM was not met, which was clearly not my case.

I got a response today granting me the waiver. The second agent apologized saying not all the agents were advised for this exemption. So I am all set now. Can already elect the choice benefits.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:54 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I got a response today granting me the waiver. The second agent apologized saying not all the agents were advised for this exemption. So I am all set now. Can already elect the choice benefits.
Amazing! Congrats!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.