Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:49 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
And I will make sure to let DL know how this pi**es me off that I played by the rules and increased spend to reach MQD and the inconsistency in their actual rules.

What's ironic is I actually was more profitable to them than you yet they were apparently more concerned with your perception of this than mine.
This! I knew the rules and played by them!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United 1K, Bonvoy Plat Elite, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC, Nat'l Executive Elite
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
And I will make sure to let DL know how this pi**es me off that I played by the rules and increased spend to reach MQD and the inconsistency in their actual rules.

What's ironic is I actually was more profitable to them than you yet they were apparently more concerned with your perception of this than mine.
If Delta had granted no waivers at all, that would have been totally reasonable and I wouldn't have complained. I would've just taken a mileage run and gotten the MQD. But if they are giving waivers on a widespread basis to people with spend that is several thousand less than what I spent, but then changed the policy again and stopped doing that, that is not reasonable/equitable, which is the specific point I made to them.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Tomphot
This! I knew the rules and played by them!
No you don't. Read again. They say:

Delta and its program partners reserve the right to change program rules, benefits, mileage regulations, Award Travel, Medallion qualification requirements and levels, fees, Award prices, Pay with Miles terms and conditions, and special offers at any time without notice. - https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ram-rules.html

The rules are whatever they say they are. Period!
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:16 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Renes Points likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Renes Points
No you don't. Read again. They say:

Delta and its program partners reserve the right to change program rules, benefits, mileage regulations, Award Travel, Medallion qualification requirements and levels, fees, Award prices, Pay with Miles terms and conditions, and special offers at any time without notice. - https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ram-rules.html

The rules are whatever they say they are. Period!
The rules are the rules. Providing a waiver to the rules doesn't mean the rules have changed.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: DL DM
Those of us who play the Amex Spend game; it is just that, a game, of trying to get status without flying, or spending, a LOT. I ended up on the DM side of the fence so I don't care, but I'm sure I would be bummed if I ended up on the other, PM or lesser, side.

Delta can do whatever they want and that unfortunately also includes waiving their rules and letting someone jump the fence. I sense there must have been a memo circulated to tighten down the ropes, but a select few agents continue to grant waivers.

It's not like the waiver amount was announced mid-year, it was announced in September 2017. They had their reasons and the outrage cannot be of surprise to them.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by pulpfiction78
Those of us who play the Amex Spend game; it is just that, a game, of trying to get status without flying, or spending, a LOT. I ended up on the DM side of the fence so I don't care, but I'm sure I would be bummed if I ended up on the other, PM or lesser, side.

Delta can do whatever they want and that unfortunately also includes waiving their rules and letting someone jump the fence. I sense there must have been a memo circulated to tighten down the ropes, but a select few agents continue to grant waivers.

It's not like the waiver amount was announced mid-year, it was announced in September 2017. They had their reasons and the outrage cannot be of surprise to them.
It was never "announced". Someone on a Facebook private group posted on twitter that Delta was offering the waver. I have learned Delta stared offering the waver in early January of 2018 but few were aware (my guess is due to bat crazy 1/4M spend jump email flood to VA ave).

Bottom line is the rules are whatever Delta says at any given time. They run the game and make up the rules as they go. These are the facts.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:58 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Renes Points
It was never "announced". Someone on a Facebook private group posted on twitter that Delta was offering the waver. I have learned Delta stared offering the waver in early January of 2018 but few were aware (my guess is due to bat crazy 1/4M spend jump email flood to VA ave).

Bottom line is the rules are whatever Delta says at any given time. They run the game and make up the rules as they go. These are the facts.
Oops- I meant to say, the new spend threshold rule was announced September 2017.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Plat, HH
I emailed for waiver 2 weeks ago and still no response, so inquired about my open case via twitter and was told current response times were ~ 4 weeks. That sounds a bit long - or they’re putting us off intentionally.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by davedimes
I emailed for waiver 2 weeks ago and still no response, so inquired about my open case via twitter and was told current response times were ~ 4 weeks. That sounds a bit long - or they’re putting us off intentionally.
Gotta go with Door #2 on that one, Bob!
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jmgriffin
The max you can get in a year is:
  • 2 x 10k = 20k for Platinum Personal
  • 2 x 10k = 20k for Platinum Business
  • 2 x 15k = 30k for Reserve Personal
  • 2 x 15k = 30k for Reserve Business
= 100k MQMs from Credit Cards, not to mention any sign-up bonus MQMs. If you have a spouse or friend with one of those cards they can gift their MQMs to you to make it even more.
NO, only Reserve card MQMs can be gifted.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by bergamini
The rules are the rules. Providing a waiver to the rules doesn't mean the rules have changed.
You could also say that granting a waiver is changing the rules as they're allowed to do.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
You could also say that granting a waiver is changing the rules as they're allowed to do.
That’s like saying granting a pardon is changing the law. A waiver explicitly means Delta is not requiring you to meet the rules to qualify for DM. With that said the T&C explicitly allow DL to grant waivers and those of us who followed the rules are allowed to be annoyed by it.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
It seems like we're splitting hairs in this "they're changing rules" vs. "they have the right to do whatever they please" debate. Does it really matter? The end result is the same: Delta is making an exception to the minimum spending, which is inflating the number of Diamonds.

Mike
FBplatinum likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by bergamini
that sounds the same as "the truth is not the truth"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.