Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by paterwdb
I have an MQD/MQM rollover question I haven't seen answered:

If I have 187K MQM for the year, but only qualified for Platinum because I didn't meet MQD spend (but got the 25K spend waiver), do I rollover 112 MQM (from the Platinum level) or do I rollover only 62K (from the Diamond level).

To make it clearer, if I had earned 125K but only hit the lower MQD waiver for Platinum, do I lose all the MQM?
You roll over the MQMs in excess of the level that you successfully attained. So, in your example, you get the 112K to start next year. If you didn't make Diamond, that threshold doesn't exist for you.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
As a waiver data point, I requested a waiver with the following stats:
  • MQM: 179k
  • MQDs: ~$6,300
And I was denied. But, to be fair, I wasn't DM last year, just PM. As far as I can tell the only people getting waivers are those that are DMs at risk of losing it for 2019, not PMs on the brink of hitting DM for the first time.
MSPeconomist and TheHorta like this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:03 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
how much amex spend did you have?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: DL DM
As another data point, I was GM last year and have 125k+ MQM and 10k MQD this year, with around 31k AMEX spending. They granted a waiver a month after my request.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pvn
how much amex spend did you have?
I had ~$160k at the time.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by gooselee

I've never fully understood all the posts/threads here of people bragging about getting top-tier status while flying a bare minimum amount. What's even the point?
There is a certain appeal to the fringe benefits of DM. When it was so easy to obtain with credit card spend on multiple amexes, it was a no brainer. I was granted a waiver with just under the Amex spend of 25k with about 7k MQDs and 240k+ MQMs. I usually fly about 50-60 segments a year. So, I'm not enough to make DM organically, but enough to realize the benefits.

For the coming year, I am going to no longer strive for the 250k threshold. Instead, I will shift the spend to other types of reward cards (cash back or hotels) and purchase the business class fares that make sense for me. It just so happens that I decided to hop on two of the AM UIO Business Class runs because the out of pocket expense of those trips (all things considered is about $1000). To me that's worth doing the trip to get the choice benefits of upgrade certificates, club membership and gifting gold or miles. In 2020, I'll have to reevaluate the relative value of the benefits versus the additional MQD running I'd have to do.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
There is a certain appeal to the fringe benefits of DM. When it was so easy to obtain with credit card spend on multiple amexes, it was a no brainer. I was granted a waiver with just under the Amex spend of 25k with about 7k MQDs and 240k+ MQMs. I usually fly about 50-60 segments a year. So, I'm not enough to make DM organically, but enough to realize the benefits.

For the coming year, I am going to no longer strive for the 250k threshold. Instead, I will shift the spend to other types of reward cards (cash back or hotels) and purchase the business class fares that make sense for me. It just so happens that I decided to hop on two of the AM UIO Business Class runs because the out of pocket expense of those trips (all things considered is about $1000). To me that's worth doing the trip to get the choice benefits of upgrade certificates, club membership and gifting gold or miles. In 2020, I'll have to reevaluate the relative value of the benefits versus the additional MQD running I'd have to do.
Same reply as my post above. I get it for the pattern you describe - my question was referencing people who literally shy away from flying (or flying DL) after earning DM.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by gooselee
Same reply as my post above. I get it for the pattern you describe - my question was referencing people who literally shy away from flying (or flying DL) after earning DM.
That seems so counter-intuitive, to me. Why would you make DM, then forego taking advantage of the benefits DM offers?

That said, I can see having a bajillion roll-over MQMs and, at least with the $25K DM waiver, having it "just because" it's almost impossible NOT to, but still...
gooselee likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by TheHorta
That seems so counter-intuitive, to me. Why would you make DM, then forego taking advantage of the benefits DM offers?

That said, I can see having a bajillion roll-over MQMs and, at least with the $25K DM waiver, having it "just because" it's almost impossible NOT to, but still...
Interestingly, another FT guy reached out to me and signed up for both the regular and business Amexes, upgraded mid year to reserves to make Diamond only on Amex Spend. I think he said he took a grand total of 2 flights as a Diamond....
TheHorta likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheHorta

I usually hit UA 1K around Nov and then fly a different airline for a new experience. This year I've flown to LHR 5 times on UA but since I've already re-qualified my 1K my next trip this month will be on VS. In Jan I am back on UA.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
For those of you who've gotten the waiver, how long did it take to show up in your account after the Corp. Care Rep promised to waive the requirement? And how did it show up? Just 2019 status changed to Diamond?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
For those of you who've gotten the waiver, how long did it take to show up in your account after the Corp. Care Rep promised to waive the requirement? And how did it show up? Just 2019 status changed to Diamond?
I got the email confirmation on 11/20 that said it was granted. I got a call the same day from Customer Care saying that the change would be updated "within a few hours."

To date, nothing has happened, so I followed up. They said that they had received a large number of requests and it is taking them about 2-3 weeks to have the change go live. I'll post here when and what happens with mine.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I got a call a few days ago, and an hour later, it was done. No email, just a call.

My SkyMiles page now shows 2019 status as Diamond, the color changed, and the check box between MQDs and AMEX waiver is checked, even though I have met neither requirement. I'm really happy that Delta is doing this. They have earned my loyalty.

Bruce
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by bdschobel
I got a call a few days ago, and an hour later, it was done. No email, just a call.

My SkyMiles page now shows 2019 status as Diamond, the color changed, and the check box between MQDs and AMEX waiver is checked, even though I have met neither requirement. I'm really happy that Delta is doing this. They have earned my loyalty.

Bruce
Did they say whether or not this is a one-time-only event, or that these waiver waivers will continue?

I’m thinking (hoping) this is a one-time thing by Delta, and that waivers end with 2018, else why bother?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:35 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I wonder if I can get a reverse waiver. I have 124k MQM and 20k MQD.
TheHorta likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.