Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by wlau
Diamond is pointless. I fly international on DL almost every week and I managed to use only only 1 GUC since 1/1/2018. Diamond desk is now answered by very inexperienced agents in foreign countries that are basically useless but polite. I get the occasional domestic short hop upgrades but that's it. With all the 777 and 767 being converted to suite + premium select, there isn't any free upgrades at all for the international flights... With the dismantling of the Asia network, you literally bounce yourself all over the places to get anywhere and end up exposing yourself to increasingly complicated and hard to fix IROPS. This has been a bad year to be Delta Diamond. The $15000 spend requirement is really well over $20000 with tax/fees and the unearnable partner segments... That's a lot of money spent to only get attitude thrown at me when I ask them to fix DL-created problems...
I flew one paid international trip on DL this year and used two GUCs. (One took a re-route based on schedule change; the original schedule would have worked for me but the GUC wouldn't have cleared so I changed the route.)

If you game the MQDs you can do it for about $4K cash.

And I've had my few problems fixed easily enough. Maybe it helps to be polite when asking. (With one exception: I met the MQD waiver for Platinum in February, and my account still shows $21-22K. Delta and Amex are pointing fingers at each other, and I can't talk to the appropriate department in either one.)
Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TheHorta

You want qualifications to remain low, because it benefits you personally. You decry the fact that I would like to see qualifications raised because it benefits me.
That's the irony.
(BTW, I'm not trying to be offensive. We're both welcome to our personal opinions, both of which don't amount to the proverbial "hill of beans" )

Ok I get it Except that honestly, qualification being changed wouldn't impact me much since I normally buy first/biz tickets. And if its higher I'd likely still qualify... unless its made extremely high in which case nothing would change much because then there would be very few DMs and instead the PM group would be massive. And I'd still buy-up to F.

I just don't like program devaluations in general.
BamaGirl and TheHorta like this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:02 am

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Quick question... What is the consensus of the impact from the increase in AMEX spend waiver, ... will it really affect the DM population as many have learned new ways to game the system? Just wondering as I haven't been very connected this year and I wasn't planning on remaining DM into 2019 and beyond, but travel/business plans changed this last quarter and will be an accidental DM again next year.

Last edited by SYRRDU; Nov 22, 2018 at 3:06 am Reason: spelling
Old Nov 22, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by SYRRDU
Quick question... What is the consensus of the impact from the increase in AMEX spend waiver, ... will it really affect the DM population as many have learned new ways to game the system? Just wondering as I haven't been very connected this year and I wasn't planning on remaining DM into 2019 and beyond, but travel/business plans changed this last quarter and will be an accidental DM again next year.
The herd is still going strong. Anecdotal evidence seems to confirm that DL is handing out $25K waivers like candy, at least this year, and that there will likely be little practical impact for 2019.

In my worthless opinion, DM is the absolute least “elite” FF program of any major airline. It seems as though there are ~60,000 of us running around out there.

P.S. Since you’ve done both, how would you compare EXP to DM? I’m thinking about making the switch (not hub captive) and taking our $70K MQDs elsewhere?

Last edited by TheHorta; Nov 22, 2018 at 8:05 am
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:14 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by TheHorta
In my worthless opinion, DM is the absolute least “elite” FF program of any major airline. It seems as though there are ~60,000 of us running around out there.
what's your basis for comparison? the bar for both UA 1k and AA ExP is significantly lower (100k miles/$12k spend).
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by pvn
what's your basis for comparison? the bar for both UA 1k and AA ExP is significantly lower (100k miles/$12k spend).
I don’t know if AA/UA make it so easy via CC spend to gain status, and I don’t know what advantages over DL the others have. It’s strictly anecdotal, but perusing the various forums it seems like the DL forum is much more vocal about how easy it is to attain elite status via CC, and dilution if that status, than the others.

That said, it is just an opinion and it could easily be similar or worse on the “other side.”
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:48 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
a handfull of credit card gamers isn't going to make a huge difference when there are 42 million "natural" diamonds.
gooselee and TheHorta like this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 9:48 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by pvn
FWIW UA announced an increase to $15k (I forget, maybe a month ago?) and I read that AA followed suit in the last few days.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Originally Posted by sethb
If you game the MQDs you can do it for about $4K cash.
So if you drop $250K on tax payments, you spend $5K. (Arguably add in ~$700 in pro-rated Delta card fees. You'll need 2 Delta cards, one personal, one business. And you'll need to play upgrade/downgrade on them.)

You get 350,000 Delta miles, worth a minimum of $3500.

You get two companion certs, which you'll have to value on your own but let's say both are good for domestic first if you time it right.

You spend zero nights/weekends/whatever doing mileage runs. (You will spend 5-10 hours on the year managing the upgrades and downgrades of the cards and tracking the certs.)

It's correct that you only get 100K MQMs (well, the first year you do this you'll get more thanks to signup bonuses on those cards!). But the "fly around the world on partners" method isn't likely to beat that. And without 25K flown miles on Delta, why does one even care about Diamond?!?

Personally, I will fly something like 80K miles in 2018. I will have spent <$5K on Delta. (Honestly, flown miles are probably higher, but I'm trying to estimate the Delta total.)

The value of those rollover MQMs is non-zero.

The "net cost" of this is <$2500 using worst case 1 cent/mile redemption. The value of not spending lord knows how much time on planes just changing MQDs is priceless.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rogo
So if you drop $250K on tax payments, you spend $5K. (Arguably add in ~$700 in pro-rated Delta card fees. You'll need 2 Delta cards, one personal, one business. And you'll need to play upgrade/downgrade on them.)

You get 350,000 Delta miles, worth a minimum of $3500.

You get two companion certs, which you'll have to value on your own but let's say both are good for domestic first if you time it right.

You spend zero nights/weekends/whatever doing mileage runs. (You will spend 5-10 hours on the year managing the upgrades and downgrades of the cards and tracking the certs.)

It's correct that you only get 100K MQMs (well, the first year you do this you'll get more thanks to signup bonuses on those cards!). But the "fly around the world on partners" method isn't likely to beat that. And without 25K flown miles on Delta, why does one even care about Diamond?!?

Personally, I will fly something like 80K miles in 2018. I will have spent <$5K on Delta. (Honestly, flown miles are probably higher, but I'm trying to estimate the Delta total.)

The value of those rollover MQMs is non-zero.

The "net cost" of this is <$2500 using worst case 1 cent/mile redemption. The value of not spending lord knows how much time on planes just changing MQDs is priceless.
That's assuming you have a need for $3500 worth of paid Delta airfare, and no better way to use those points. For example, you can't pay with your 5x Amex Platinum with travel insurance. You can't pay with your Citi or Chase or MR points.

You get a lot of something that you may not be able to easily use.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by SYRRDU
The real consequence is that many who did not qualify for DM will buy FC seats instead of hoping for an upgrade. Those who did make the DM bar will not find upgrades easier to come by.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by rogo
So if you drop $250K on tax payments
If you have to park $250K in tax payments with the IRS and other state/local tax agencies, for up to a year, or some other type of non-organic activities (e.g. MS), wouldn't it be easier to just get $15K of MQD? Or, better yet, with that kind of discretionary funds, just buy FC tickets outright. Also, $250K gets you SkyPesos; instead you could earn better return elsewhere.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by pvn
a handfull of credit card gamers isn't going to make a huge difference when there are 42 million "natural" diamonds.
Any idea on the actual numbers of top tier elite status with each airline?
Old Nov 22, 2018, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by MarkP24
Any idea on the actual numbers of top tier elite status with each airline?
Assuming published tiers, Delta has 50-60,000 Diamond Medallions.
MarkP24 likes this.

Last edited by TheHorta; Nov 22, 2018 at 7:59 pm
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:54 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RobertS975
The real consequence is that many who did not qualify for DM will buy FC seats instead of hoping for an upgrade. Those who did make the DM bar will not find upgrades easier to come by.
Exactly this. Where once I'd have taken my chances as a DM on a T fare (behind higher bucket DMs) I know I won't get upgraded as a PM on a T fare, so maybe I burn a RUC or keep an eye out for cheap FCM instead. Either way, a DM who would have been ahead of me no longer is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.