Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:22 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
HAHA, I dumped your stupid DL AMEX cuz of the MQD waiver change and now I'm DM and with room to spare! Kept my spending on cards that really help me and didn't need it! Thanks for making it a easy choice
Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:39 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Status isn't about really about "rewarding" you though - airline FFs are marketing programs under the guise of reward programs. If you have 74 segments and only 56,000 MQMs, you're flying short hops at an average length of about 720 miles (which doesn't factor in any MQM bonuses if you have any F/J fares or Y/B/M fares that earn the MQM bonus). That means there's quite possibly far less competition on the routes you fly, and less viable options. DL has to do less and offer less to compete for your business because it can likely already offer to you what you what most business travelers value most - convenience - while apparently another airline really can't (or offers it in a far less desireable way). I.e, if you're someone who flies ATL-DTW all the time, you're likely to stick with DL over say AA or UA because DL can fly you nonstop. AA and UA can't. So DL doesn't need to entice you with much to fly. They offer a nonstop, which is what most travelers would value most, over spending 2-3 times more time en route by connecting in say ORD, IAD, CLT, etc. to get to DTW.

Not saying DL will never do away with MQMs/MQSs and just go straight to MQDs, but for DL, if they went to just MQDs they would be over-rewarding people unnecessarily (in their minds) because if someone like you is already giving DL $20K in spend and maybe only making GM or PM (you will make DM but many others in a situation like yours won't), why would DL want to over-reward and spend more resources on someone that they don't need to? (That's the question from DL's perspective)
Excellent point. There’s another problem with purely revenue based systems. You can get to $15,000 in spend with a couple round trips from the US to Asia on expensive J fares. But someone who flies international Delta One a couple times a year, and then does all of their other flying with other airlines, isn’t a customer whose loyalty should be rewarded.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
HAHA, I dumped your stupid DL AMEX cuz of the MQD waiver change and now I'm DM and with room to spare! Kept my spending on cards that really help me and didn't need it! Thanks for making it a easy choice
The MQD change was all about rollover. I have several people on my team that are rolling over 1 Million miles a year. If you average 250- 400k a year for several years it can be done. At which point you could have DM for 10 years.
syd999, acrophobia and TheHorta like this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by acrophobia
But someone who flies international Delta One a couple times a year, and then does all of their other flying with other airlines, isn’t a customer whose loyalty should be rewarded.
Says who? Why not?

Regards
jaimemayo likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC

Excellent point. There’s another problem with purely revenue based systems. You can get to $15,000 in spend with a couple round trips from the US to Asia on expensive J fares. But someone who flies international Delta One a couple times a year, and then does all of their other flying with other airlines, isn’t a customer whose loyalty should be rewarded.
Not sure that this is a reliable scenario. But if it was ultimately this is a customer who is not over burdening the DM program so would likely not cause them to change it. I spent $15K on 100 segments this year, the most common of which was DTW>MSN and I'm squeaking into 125K and they are spending let's say $16K on 4 TPAC trips with 8-16 segments. For sure thinking that's a more profitable customer but I'm going to have the same status.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

They won't be if those are the only two DL flights they take.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

​​​​​

You don't even need to fly one Delta flight, let alone Delta One to get to $15K in MQD. If you can pick up a few deep discounted J partner fares, you can get to $15k with around 20% in actual spend.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
​​​​​

You don't even need to fly one Delta flight, let alone Delta One to get to $15K in MQD. If you can pick up a few deep discounted J partner fares, you can get to $15k with around 20% in actual spend.
EASILY! Or less potentially depending on how open your schedule is to jump on deals. Flying CZ to Singapore in PE in December and spent just less than 800 dollars and getting 3600 MQDs and just over 20,000 MQMs.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
EASILY! Or less potentially depending on how open your schedule is to jump on deals. Flying CZ to Singapore in PE in December and spent just less than 800 dollars and getting 3600 MQDs and just over 20,000 MQMs.
Wow!
Old Nov 12, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
I wrote in via the webpage portal. We shall see. Worth a kick of the can at least.

Current Stats:
MQM - 215K
SEG - 83
MQD - 12K
AMEX - 117K
Old Nov 12, 2018, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by scubadu
Says who? Why not?
Because they don't have any loyalty. See "all their other flying with other airlines".

Unfortunately, there's really no feasible way to tell who is actually loyal and who isn't, although there are heuristics that can help.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat

I was a PM back when it was the highest level and, yes, I got it by flying Delta One (then called "Biz Elite") two or three times a year. Guess what? I received almost no "reward" from Delta.

What could it give me? Because of my fare, anything that a top level Medallion gets, I would have gotten even if I had never flown before. I was not competing for battlefield upgrades with other PMs -- you can't upgrade someone who is already sitting in the front cabin. I did have some upgrades using SkyMiles but that was only possible by buying M (and later, B) fares on flights that had space set aside for upgrades. These became harder and harder to find and eventually close to impossible.

My very last itinerary on Delta was TLV-JFK-LAS-ATL-JFK-TLV. For that entire year I was unable to find even one itinerary (taking into consideration just the TLV-JFK-TLV segments) which was workable. I decided to use all of my SkyMiles for an award ticket. I managed to get TLV-JFK and ATL-JFK-TLV for the return ticket by flying out on Christmas Eve and returning two weeks later. The complete itinerary would not have cost any more SkyMiles if there was award space available for the other segments but there was none. Instead, I paid for a JFK-LAS, LAS-ATL, ticket in FC. That, for practical purposes, wiped out my SkyMiles account. I now have about 50,000 miles in it (received from the paid segments on that itinerary as well as from a number of AZ flights from TLV to Milan and Venice). For me, those SkyMiles are worthless.

So, please, don't tell me that I was given unearned rewards.
gooselee likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JesseRohr
I wrote in via the webpage portal. We shall see. Worth a kick of the can at least.

Current Stats:
MQM - 215K
SEG - 83
MQD - 12K
AMEX - 117K
Curious to see if you got a reply yet?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Diamond is pointless. I fly international on DL almost every week and I managed to use only only 1 GUC since 1/1/2018. Diamond desk is now answered by very inexperienced agents in foreign countries that are basically useless but polite. I get the occasional domestic short hop upgrades but that's it. With all the 777 and 767 being converted to suite + premium select, there isn't any free upgrades at all for the international flights... With the dismantling of the Asia network, you literally bounce yourself all over the places to get anywhere and end up exposing yourself to increasingly complicated and hard to fix IROPS. This has been a bad year to be Delta Diamond. The $15000 spend requirement is really well over $20000 with tax/fees and the unearnable partner segments... That's a lot of money spent to only get attitude thrown at me when I ask them to fix DL-created problems...
JesseRohr likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wlau
Diamond is pointless. I fly international on DL almost every week and I managed to use only only 1 GUC since 1/1/2018. Diamond desk is now answered by very inexperienced agents in foreign countries that are basically useless but polite. I get the occasional domestic short hop upgrades but that's it. With all the 777 and 767 being converted to suite + premium select, there isn't any free upgrades at all for the international flights... With the dismantling of the Asia network, you literally bounce yourself all over the places to get anywhere and end up exposing yourself to increasingly complicated and hard to fix IROPS. This has been a bad year to be Delta Diamond. The $15000 spend requirement is really well over $20000 with tax/fees and the unearnable partner segments... That's a lot of money spent to only get attitude thrown at me when I ask them to fix DL-created problems...
This is totally opposite of my experience. My GUC’s have cleared at request 50% of the time, I am regularly upgraded at the window and I often speak to DM agents in Minnesota which is not too far from my home. Just because someone has an accent doesn’t mean they’re foreign. People are upset about losing DM because it is worth something. And we are treated well.
JesseRohr and NotHamSarnie like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.