Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Has the other shoe dropped?

EDIT: I read too quickly- this only applies to Membership Rewards cards, not cobrand or other credit products. I would not be surprised to see this policy roll out to other cards in the future, however.

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...ming-heats-up/

Saw this in my FT digest email today- seems Amex is looking more closely at spending patterns, including, notably:

Very large credit card spend that far exceeds a person’s apparent ability to pay. My guess is that they will watch this more closely with personal cards than business cards since large business purchases are common and normal.

Last edited by captaink; Nov 2, 2017 at 8:48 am Reason: Misread the source article :(
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by captaink
EDIT: I read too quickly- this only applies to Membership Rewards cards, not cobrand or other credit products. I would not be surprised to see this policy roll out to other cards in the future, however.

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...ming-heats-up/

Saw this in my FT digest email today- seems Amex is looking more closely at spending patterns, including, notably:
Very broad so they can do as they please essentially.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Platinum
I apologize if this has been addressed already, but my question relates to MQD earnings with partner airlines. I asked 2 different diamond medallion reps and got 2 different answers. I recently flew a China eastern business class flight that cost me around $2200. According to the Delta site, I would receive 35% MQD's; however, if you look at the footnote, it clearly states the following:

"Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) apply to Medallion qualification. Flights marketed and ticketed by the partner will earn MQDs based on a percentage of distance flown* as determined by the fare class paid."

The way I (want) to read this is that if my flight totaled around 14k miles roundtrip and the fare class yields 35% MQDs, that means I would earn around $4900 MQD's (14,000 miles * 35%)??? Am I completely off on this?

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 3, 2017, 4:25 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ARH2
I apologize if this has been addressed already, but my question relates to MQD earnings with partner airlines. I asked 2 different diamond medallion reps and got 2 different answers. I recently flew a China eastern business class flight that cost me around $2200. According to the Delta site, I would receive 35% MQD's; however, if you look at the footnote, it clearly states the following:

"Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) apply to Medallion qualification. Flights marketed and ticketed by the partner will earn MQDs based on a percentage of distance flown* as determined by the fare class paid."

The way I (want) to read this is that if my flight totaled around 14k miles roundtrip and the fare class yields 35% MQDs, that means I would earn around $4900 MQD's (14,000 miles * 35%)??? Am I completely off on this?

Thanks in advance!
My understanding matches yours provided that it was (1) booked as a MU flight and not DL and (2) not ticketed on 006. (And that with the new chart/rules starting 2018 the (2) part goes away)
Old Nov 3, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Jumping in at page 35...! I have an Amex related question.

I'm considering my options for next year. My Amex Platinum is up for renewal in March. I am lucky, because I got this card for the MQD waiver a few years ago when I was totally flying down the back and couldn't make the spend. Due to a change in circumstances I think I'll find it easy to make the cut with spend.

I am considering moving down to either Gold or Blue next year. Yes, the mile bonus at $25k/$50k is fine, but right now I have 280k MQMs for 2017, so collecting miles is not really a problem.

One thing I like about Amex is the personal rental car insurance, which I would not like to lose.

So, getting to the point, what do you think should be the best options for me for Amex next year?

Are there any benefits for someone like me staying with the $200 Amex product, or just going down. Would there be any benefit even in going to Gold or would Blue still be OK?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by tanglin

I'm considering my options for next year. My Amex Platinum is up for renewal in March. I am lucky, because I got this card for the MQD waiver a few years ago when I was totally flying down the back and couldn't make the spend. Due to a change in circumstances I think I'll find it easy to make the cut with spend.

I am considering moving down to either Gold or Blue next year. Yes, the mile bonus at $25k/$50k is fine, but right now I have 280k MQMs for 2017, so collecting miles is not really a problem.

One thing I like about Amex is the personal rental car insurance, which I would not like to lose.

So, getting to the point, what do you think should be the best options for me for Amex next year?

Are there any benefits for someone like me staying with the $200 Amex product, or just going down. Would there be any benefit even in going to Gold or would Blue still be OK?
Why do you need any Amex product? What does an Amex product give you? Sounds like you are already DM and don't need the waiver, and even the MQMs don't matter. Based on your comments thus far, I don't see that an Amex product gives you anything you don't already have.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:55 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by tanglin

Chase Sapphire offers even better rental car insurancefirst party for no additional cost.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mnbp
Why do you need any Amex product? What does an Amex product give you? Sounds like you are already DM and don't need the waiver, and even the MQMs don't matter. Based on your comments thus far, I don't see that an Amex product gives you anything you don't already have.
Lounge access (for the Reserve card and the regular Platinum/Centurion charge cards) without paying or using a choice benefit. IMO the regular Plat card is great for frequent business travelers.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Originally Posted by mnbp
As well as the insurance ($17 or thereabouts per rental), I travel a lot internationally and prefer a card without exchange fees.

The car insurance has already paid for itself 50x over, since my wife backed into a post in the UK last year!
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
My understanding matches yours provided that it was (1) booked as a MU flight and not DL and (2) not ticketed on 006. (And that with the new chart/rules starting 2018 the (2) part goes away)

Does this mean if someone booked a ticket through Delta using the partner flight numbers instead of the delta code share number, the earnings would be calculated based on partner rules? Or, would delta apply delta earnings rules if delta has a code share?
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Nolala
Does this mean if someone booked a ticket through Delta using the partner flight numbers instead of the delta code share number, the earnings would be calculated based on partner rules? Or, would delta apply delta earnings rules if delta has a code share?
If you book through Delta and fly the partner it would be a 006 ticket I believe and thus just get MQD as standard earning. IE on the dollars spent.

Originally Posted by ARH2

Thanks in advance!
Correct. I flew B Fares to PVG and on to JFK. It was a 620 dollar ticket and ended up with ~2000 MQDs. Booked expedia and was MU tickets.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
If you book through Delta and fly the partner it would be a 006 ticket I believe and thus just get MQD as standard earning. IE on the dollars spent.
That's correct for 2017 but changing on some of the 2018 charts. See this thread:

Delta Partner Mileage Accrual Changes Effective Jan 2018
Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
Originally Posted by Bowgie
I'm pretty sure raising the waiver was Delta's decision, not Amex's. A low waiver means more happy cardholders. I bet the reason that Delta raised the Diamond waiver to $250,000 instead of just eliminating it completely is that they were contractually required by Amex to keep it in some form -- even a ridiculous one.
Next year, wife cancels her Amex card. I keep mine (need it for business anyway), and double up spending to 50k for two 10k MQM bonus. I fly 30k MQM's (mostly SAN-SEA) for easy Plat status (30k flying + 20k Amex + 25k rollover). Wife mostly stops flying Delta for no status at all.
I believe Bowgie is probably correct about the waiver, and that our decisions will impact DL and AMEX in similar ways: less AMEX spending and less DL flights. Unfortunately, I do not believe there are enough of us to make DL change their policy...
Old Nov 9, 2017, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
That's correct for 2017 but changing on some of the 2018 charts. See this thread:

Delta Partner Mileage Accrual Changes Effective Jan 2018
MU looks unchanged if you book via MU? IE can fly on T/B Fares and get MQD on distance flown on some very inexpensive tickets.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
MU looks unchanged if you book via MU? IE can fly on T/B Fares and get MQD on distance flown on some very inexpensive tickets.
Yes, but what's changing in 2018 is you can earn MQDs (and RDMs) based on distance even when ticketed as 006.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.