Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
How does one fly 130K EQM and spend only $7800??

Here I was saying to myself reading this thread is why are all these people complaining-- if you're flying the required 125K miles of course you're going to meet the minimum MQD or whatever DL calls it.

You might be the lone exception.

Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by bubbashow
I understand some are upset because they can't keep a status they enjoyed, but there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong a level of "eliteness" actually being elite. If you can't spend 15k on Delta, there is NOTHING "elite" about your travel habits.
One of the original features of Skyteam was that your miles accumulated by flying DL or a partner. Now it doesn't count unless you're buying 006 ticket stock.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by gregsfortytwo
Joint Ventures are not the same as alliances. Delta and AF/KLM, and Delta and Virgin Atlantic, (and soon, Virgin Atlantic and AF/KLM!) have Joint Ventures on transatlantic flights. I don’t know the exact details (not sure it’s public) but they do some degree of joint planning and pooling money over routes they fly from the USA to Europe (and back). That’s why you’ll see some routes where Delta pulls out and Virgin takes over all their slots, or airports where all the groundside operations for one of those airlines are handled by employees of the other.
Thanks. Like MSP, I've also found significant fare differences on the same flights using Delta.com and using AF or VIrgins site(always was highest on Delta).
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Now they just need to introduce rollover MQD's to offset this!
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
I'm unfamiliar with card with these kinds of cash rebates - which one(s) give 3%? Or even 2.5%? I'd love to have one!
JCB Marukai Premium gives you 3% cash-back on all purchases + $50 extra, for only $15 annual fee. No forex fee.
https://www.jcbusa.com/for_consumers...remium-hawaii/ https://www.jcbusa.com/for_consumers...mium-jcb-card/

Alliant Visa gives you 3% back first year, 2.5% back second year and onwards, for $59 annual fee (2nd year and on). http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/ba...signature-card

Both are solid options. The latter as a Visa will work everywhere, though the fee is a bit higher and the return a bit lower. The former has greater than AmEx acceptance (works at almost any merchant, since JCB is included with practically every Visa/MasterCard merchant account - many merchants just don't even know about it), and good global acceptance (except Europe), along with the highest simple straight all across cash-back of any card.

Every comparison I've done with travel specific cards, with a few specific good value redemptions excluded (that are usually hard to get and are in the way of becoming extinct anyway), a simple 3%/2.5% cash back card will yield better returns than any travel specific one, when averaged out across all purchases and redemptions, and give you total freedom in terms of airline, hotel, etc. that you book. Unless you are chasing the few unicorns of specific redemptions and have extreme flexibility and a lot of time to devote to chasing it, travel program specific cards are just too much hassle and the returns are too low to make it worthwhile, IMO.

Oh and there's also Discover It Miles, that is 3% for the first year (no fee), but only 1.5% 2nd year and thereafter...so that is only good for one year use.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: Delta, SW, Hilton, Marriott, Avis, Hertz, NCR
Originally Posted by burbanite
Same here:
Attached Images  
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by newser
Here’s the thing — and I don’t post often and am not trying to enrage some of you. I am a Diamond. I pay for my own flights. I don’t see mathematically how you could maintain Diamond status without coming pretty close to the $15,000 spend which isn’t changing. The MQD’s through Amex have been nice, but there’s a point where it ends up making next to no difference. Again, not trying to spark controversy, but it seems that those outraged probably aren’t really the Diamond spenders that Delta — which is a business — is trying to retain. But as others have pointed out, if you pay for F class routinely anyway, status relevance is decreased. I have not been on a flight in six months with more than 1 F seat left for upgrading.

Am I missing something?
I'll end the year with 200k MQMs and about 6k in spend.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This has settled down quickly in about twelve hours. It's very different from when DL first introduced MQD requirements. Then it seemed that the uproar lasted for days.
MQD requirements impacted every single Delta elite. This change impacts only the subset of Diamonds who don't meet the MQD minimum but met the waiver. A much smaller group of people.
MikeyZBT likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Zeeb
MQD requirements impacted every single Delta elite. This change impacts only the subset of Diamonds who don't meet the MQD minimum but met the waiver. A much smaller group of people.
And IMO the PM's even more...I made DM for the first time this year only because of a very inexpensive J fare last year, ended with 125,592 MQM's, scraping back to PM again which I have been for years even before the DM level. All the fallen DM's will be competing for UG's now with the PM's...which is already dismal odds. Good for the DM's that earn it and spend though.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobertS975
One of the original features of Skyteam was that your miles accumulated by flying DL or a partner. Now it doesn't count unless you're buying 006 ticket stock.
Not following. You still earn miles and MQD's for flying Skyteam partners even if they are not on an 006 ticket.
MikeyZBT likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Zeeb
NO, they didn't impact anyone with a foreign address or who was able to get a foreign address on their DL FF account.

Moreover, MQD requirements didn't really affect anyone who was already spending at least $25,000 per year on DL AmEx cards, which would include a large fraction of those with at least one DL AmEx Plat or Reserve card. It was never something of concern to folks in this group.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
JCB Marukai Premium gives you 3% cash-back on all purchases + $50 extra, for only $15 annual fee. No forex fee.
https://www.jcbusa.com/for_consumers...remium-hawaii/ https://www.jcbusa.com/for_consumers...mium-jcb-card/

Alliant Visa gives you 3% back first year, 2.5% back second year and onwards, for $59 annual fee (2nd year and on). http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/ba...signature-card

Both are solid options. The latter as a Visa will work everywhere, though the fee is a bit higher and the return a bit lower. The former has greater than AmEx acceptance (works at almost any merchant, since JCB is included with practically every Visa/MasterCard merchant account - many merchants just don't even know about it), and good global acceptance (except Europe), along with the highest simple straight all across cash-back of any card.

Every comparison I've done with travel specific cards, with a few specific good value redemptions excluded (that are usually hard to get and are in the way of becoming extinct anyway), a simple 3%/2.5% cash back card will yield better returns than any travel specific one, when averaged out across all purchases and redemptions, and give you total freedom in terms of airline, hotel, etc. that you book. Unless you are chasing the few unicorns of specific redemptions and have extreme flexibility and a lot of time to devote to chasing it, travel program specific cards are just too much hassle and the returns are too low to make it worthwhile, IMO.

Oh and there's also Discover It Miles, that is 3% for the first year (no fee), but only 1.5% 2nd year and thereafter...so that is only good for one year use.
Great Post, RealHJ. I'm with you. I can't figure out JCB Marukai Premium. I live in Utah. Can I use it at places where VISA or AMEX are accepted? Thank you!
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Anyone who works in the non-profit realm or works for a company with strict travel policies may have difficulty hitting the threshold, especially if it is increased from the present level of $15,000 per calendar year.
I find it very hard to believe that you can fly 90,000 MQMs (assuming worst case where you get 30,000 MQM from the Reserve card) and you won't spend $15k on flights? Seems unlikely.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
I find it very hard to believe that you can fly 90,000 MQMs (assuming worst case where you get 30,000 MQM from the Reserve card) and you won't spend $15k on flights? Seems unlikely.
Let's not forget that some people get 100,000 MQMs from four credit cards.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
That's part of the fun!

We're not all here to spend a lot of money, you know.
calrick likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.