Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: delta dm
This is one of the best days ever for DMs that spend actual money on delta tickets and arent gamers. My upgrade percentage will be going up. Im sure PMs that spend actual money on high bucket fares are also rejoicing as well. Great job delta. Now only if we can get delta to have DMs flying solo trump a DM and a companion life would be even better. If flyertalk has taught me anything its always about me what i want and no one else. Lol. Thanks flyertalk. You're the best.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dzflyer
This is one of the best days ever for DMs that spend actual money on delta tickets and arent gamers. My upgrade percentage will be going up. Im sure PMs that spend actual money on high bucket fares are also rejoicing as well. Great job delta. Now only if we can get delta to have DMs flying solo trump a DM and a companion life would be even better. If flyertalk has taught me anything its always about me what i want and no one else. Lol. Thanks flyertalk. You're the best.
It's an even better day for the extreme gamers who are willing and able to do a quarter million dollars annually in MS. They can continue to enjoy DM benefits but now they will be competing with fewer DMs who behave more moderately even if they might not hit 15,000 MQDs in some years. Those with foreign addresses, genuine or fraudulent, and those willing and able to change their DL FF account to a foreign address (genuine or fraudulent) are also the big winners here.

I strongly agree with you about companion upgrades.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: Delta, SW, Hilton, Marriott, Avis, Hertz, NCR
Originally Posted by DeltaFirst
My first reaction will be to cancel the AMEX Delta Reserve card, my 2nd during 2019 will be to spread the love to other airlines.
Ditto, the question is what AMEX card to downgrade or to move away from.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's an even better day for the extreme gamers who are willing and able to do a quarter million dollars annually in MS.

I strongly agree with you about companion upgrades.
I agree that the gamers shouldn't be allowed to game but as I'm out in the battlefield as a PM for 1-2 more months and losing out on UG's, I don't think it's to the MS crowd, I think I lose much more to those getting DM with the waiver and that's much easier low hanging fruit.

I am torn on companion upgrades. I think maybe if they buy K or higher maybe but that gets too complex.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by davetravels
I'd hafto say that, this could at least be bearable for me, if, they'd offer 2 GUCs as a PM Choice Benefit.
If Delta really wants to thin the herd they should raise the MQM requirement for PM's to 100K and offer 2 GUC's as a choice benefit seeing their competition offers them for flyers who reach 100K elite miles in a year.

I wish Delta would eliminate the waiver for foreign addresses for all levels as well. When the MQD requirement started it it was speculated by some the reason foreign addresses were exempted was because American's could get the Delta Am Ex more easily for the waiver. Seeing that is all but going away for diamonds then the foreign address waiver should as well.
Seabilly likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:44 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by pgh234
Now it is just a chorus of grumpy silver-spooned men and women*** who loudly tell you how great they are and how much money they spend.
So, we HAVE met?!?!?

Also, fixed that for'ya.

***No specific women in mind.

Last edited by davetravels; Sep 27, 2017 at 7:50 am
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I'm actually going to flip around and take an opposite tack here: Why doesn't DL just bin MQMs entirely
No MQMs == no $$$$ from end of year MQM sales.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
If Delta really wants to thin the herd they should raise the MQM requirement for PM's to 100K and offer 2 GUC's as a choice benefit seeing their competition offers them for flyers who reach 100K elite miles in a year.
I could get behind this one but people like the sound of Plat so they probably want to make it as accessible as possible. But yeah, obv there's a huge gap between 75K and 125K. Even when I wasn't a road warrior, it was hard not to be gold with card MQM and a few work + personal trips.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:51 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
This thread has been SO liberating! I just changed my signature!

bergamini and Seabilly like this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
No MQMs == no $$$$ from end of year MQM sales.
The offer I got (which I didn't need) was really, really, expensive for the MQM. I would be surprised if they got much revenue from that at all.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: Delta, IHG
I am okay with this change. I feel the top tier should be reserved for those who spend money with Delta since after all, it is Delta's loyalty program, not American Express'. This will exclude me now, despite having both a Platinum and Reserve card that I max out for the MQM bonuses, but I am okay with that. I'll move my spend to other cards but I will keep my Delta Amex cards for the perks.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Noctilum
I am okay with this change. I feel the top tier should be reserved for those who spend money with Delta since after all, it is Delta's loyalty program, not American Express'. This will exclude me now, despite having both a Platinum and Reserve card that I max out for the MQM bonuses, but I am okay with that. I'll move my spend to other cards but I will keep my Delta Amex cards for the perks.
The problem with this argument is that some people spend very little money on DL but are willing to do $250,000 MS on their AmEx DL credit cards.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd rather lose an upgrade to someone with 14,000 MQDs and $75,000 spend on ONE DL AmEx card than someone with 1,000 MQDs and $250,000 in MS (or a fake foreign address).
If you see a man wearing an ugly Hawaiin shirt, your upgrade was given to Rene and his MS.

Also found it comical how he said only "Lazy" people wont be doing the 250K in MS.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by DCFinanceinFlight
If you see a man wearing an ugly Hawaiin shirt, your upgrade was given to Rene and his MS.

Also found it comical how he said only "Lazy" people wont be doing the 250K in MS.
I've met Renes' Points and think I would recognize him in an airport.

Maybe with the change to the DM MQD waiver, DL will also eliminate priority for those who achieve the waiver early in the year. If that happens, I'm pretty confident that I won't be losing upgrades to Renes' Points, regardless of what shirt he's wearing.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: DL DM
This change essentially eliminates the waiver, which makes MQM rollover pretty irrelevant. Hard to justify DL DM status vs. UA 1K. After all, DL DM requires 125k miles while UA 1K requires only 100k miles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.