Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I'm at $15K spent for 110K on AA already (mostly on my own dime)..it's not that hard to find good premium cabin fares on either airline guys. I don't think this is a big deal unless you've been riding the cheapskate (use your corporate credit card to get DM) train on DL.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This has settled down quickly in about twelve hours. It's very different from when DL first introduced MQD requirements. Then it seemed that the uproar lasted for days.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Personally I'd just go with a straight 3% or at least 2.5% cash back card (on all purchases; dealing with category bonuses IMO is not worth the hassle...may be for someone like the bloggers it is, but not for most). It's rare for any travel-specific program (airline, hotel) miles, points or what not to exceed 3cpm value. That way you are not tied to any airline or hotel, there are no blackout dates, no constantly decreasing value of the awards, etc., but if you prefer you can still use the cash-back as travel purchases offset - while being completely liberated to use it for whatever you want.

Edit: sorry, I missed it that you want it to be an AmEx (but why? AmEx has some of the worst service, and is not accepted at many US businesses and most int'l ones). For an AmEx card, well just get the straight up Platinum AmEx. Priority Pass lounge access, Uber credits, airline fee credits, etc. - if you use it all, you can almost justify the annual fee. Just the rewards in terms of MR are subpar, but, well, that is the best that you can get with AmEx, unless you go with the SPG AmEx that has the most valuable (transferable to almost any major airline) rewards, but the fate of the SPG program in 2018 and beyond if uncertain still.
Many thanks:-)
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:30 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This has settled down quickly in about twelve hours. It's very different from when DL first introduced MQD requirements. Then it seemed that the uproar lasted for days.
Well, this only applies to one tier.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:07 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.8MM, IHG Spire Elite
I won’t be renewing my Delta Reserve and will get another
Non-Delta related card. I’be been a DM since the program
began. I’m not a hub captive and can work it to fly what
ever airline I want. I’ve got a year to regroup and I will.
It’s a shame because I have over 320k MQMs this year
and counting.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:24 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by DeltaFirst
I won’t be renewing my Delta Reserve and will get another
Non-Delta related card. I’be been a DM since the program
began. I’m not a hub captive and can work it to fly what
ever airline I want. I’ve got a year to regroup and I will.
It’s a shame because I have over 320k MQMs this year
and counting.
So you've got what? Something like half a decade guaranteed at Platinum?;-)
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:44 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
This is the best news I have read in a while as it will significantly thin the herd.

For those of us who qualify based on MQD, this is a very welcome change.
KevinDTW likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:34 am

Its not worth trying to spend $250K because what if Im a few bucks short, all that for nothing. It will be a shame to lose the 3 benefits, even if you look at it as $600 cash value on 3 $200 vouchers. Have to just hope, as PM, I go on flights that have a lot of empty FC seats so I can still upgrade. Other than that, no real difference. Will just prob do 2 $200 annual fee cards, thats good for 40K MQM plus flights get me to PM, everything else goes on 2 points per card...
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Why did it settle down so quickly? Flyertalk used to be a fun and educational place where folks could share tips and hints for navigating the ever changing frequent flyer landscape. We would help each other out and commiserate/celebrate the negative/positive changes together.

Now it is just a chorus of grumpy silver-spooned men who loudly tell you how great they are and how much money they spend.

Basically....why waste my breath here in this thread and many other threads. I don't see why so many wealthy and powerful folks who WFBF all the time even participate in a FF forum. If you buy first all the time and have millions of dollars in your checking account...Why do you need DM, care about MQD's, or care at all about anything in the Skymiles program? Is it simply the pure enjoyment seeing those of us who enjoy the hobby (what this site revolves around) go through these negative changes (for us) that keep you coming back again?

There is nothing I can say in this thread that will be met with any sort of positive or productive or even empathetic response.
calrick, Zeeb and AceReport like this.

Last edited by pgh234; Sep 27, 2017 at 5:44 am
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Because I think it's a hard sell to complain about an airline requiring $15K in flight spend to be in the top of 4 tiers on the airline's status. TPG rates that at $7.8K in value for this year alone and if you use your GUC's wisely, probably even more.

And because the life of a Plat (which I am now after resuming becoming a road warrior again last year after a sabbatical) is not so bad.

And lastly, because the only people it affects right now are low spend DM's and it will actually help high fare bucket PM's and so there are absolutely a good chunk of PM's out there right now who know they will complete with the DM's who move to PM based on fare bucket now and not medallion priority, thus improving their chances.
calrick likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by davetravels
Well, this only applies to one tier.
And only a subset of that tier (those that don't spend $15,000 on DL flights or $250,000 on DL AMEX cards) is actually affected.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bergamini
Because I think it's a hard sell to complain about an airline requiring $15K in flight spend to be in the top of 4 tiers on the airline's status. TPG rates that at $7.8K in value for this year alone and if you use your GUC's wisely, probably even more.

And because the life of a Plat (which I am now after resuming becoming a road warrior again last year after a sabbatical) is not so bad.

And lastly, because the only people it affects right now are low spend DM's and it will actually help high fare bucket PM's and so there are absolutely a good chunk of PM's out there right now who know they will complete with the DM's who move to PM based on fare bucket now and not medallion priority, thus improving their chances.
I agree that $15,000 spend isn't unreasonable, but many of us have appreciated the insurance aspect of the waiver. It was nice not to have to worry about MQDs, including gaming them by the strategic purchase of tickets on other carriers and bothering with the calculations and reading of the fine print to make this work.

The more I think about the new DL rule, the more I'm concerned that the problem is that the $250,000 waiver will allow the worst of the "gamers" to continue as DM by doing extreme MS as well as getting lots of MQMs from credit cards (or rollover in some cases) while booting some people with rather reasonable frequent travel patterns from the DM ranks. To me, this doesn't look fair and I would have *much* preferred to see DL simply eliminate the DM MQD waiver entirely rather than continue it at the quarter million level if DL didn't want to have it depend on elite tier in a reasonable way or be redefined in the form of threshold DL AmEx spend (at least on ONE personal Reserve card, perhaps not counting authorized users) giving credit toward modest numbers of MQDs.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
And only a subset of that tier (those that don't spend $15,000 on DL flights or $250,000 on DL AMEX cards) is actually affected.
I'd rather lose an upgrade to someone with 14,000 MQDs and $75,000 spend on ONE DL AmEx card than someone with 1,000 MQDs and $250,000 in MS (or a fake foreign address).
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:23 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I'd rather lose an upgrade to someone with 14,000 MQDs and $75,000 spend on ONE DL AmEx card than someone with 1,000 MQDs and $250,000 in MS (or a fake foreign address).
I totally agree. I don't even really understand MS -- although I guess there is a session in Chicago (2 hours away) on how to do it next month. I don't think I'm interested. I am not messing with my personal credit in any way, shape or form by risking a closed card or a derogatory mark in some internal system. They will still hit that $250K spend but be in a distinct minority. I'm not adverse to trying interesting things but there's no way I'm even going to consider risking my personal credit with MS and some consequences it has.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by indufan
BUT, the people in my department (about 18 DMs) are up in arms on this despite the fact that every single one of them make enough MQDs. I am still trying to convince them that this is a good thing. Some of them are a little slow to comprehend this.
Maybe they all have big stockpiles of rollover MQMs for the days when their MQDs start falling?

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.