Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by prushing
I don't know how anyone can't hit $15,000. I dropped down to Gold last year and still was well over $15,000.
I could hit it if I chose to buy FCM tickets on every trip; rather, I choose to try to pay $300-400 RT to the west coast, and $700-800 RT to Europe. I'm largely able to book my travel at least three weeks in advance, and I live in an area where I live 100 miles or less from six different airports (IAD, DCA, BWI, CHO, RIC and MDT) and 140 miles from a seventh (PHL), so I can usually find a bargain, even on short notice.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by S.R
Think you missed the point of their post. Because of this change they’re cancelling their DL Amex and can now go back to shopping at Costco using their Visa cards because they are no longer tied to Amex to meet the waiver.
sorry misread the post to mean people could go shopping at Costco using the jewelry/expensive online purchase return trick to get the $250K spend in I guess that wasn't Delta people were doing that trick with anyway a few years ago since they could process an Am Ex return in the store
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by bergamini
The real losers are the DM-->PM who book lower fare buckets, specifically. Nobody else loses. But those members lose big league.
Other big losers are those that fly international on lower tier partners.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:55 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
The number of PMs will increase, so PM will not see any real benefit as it will now be based on fare type for each flight.

A high spender who had loyalty to Amex and DL can switch to any F class in any airline and be better off, so it does destroy loyalty to the old Card / Airline miles / Airline Status combo.

I kept my Amex through 2007-12 using the DL cards as they gave me status benefits on DL. I hit DM the first couple of years and PM since by using my cards MQMs on top of my flying.

That option will not change. But if I can use the spend on SPG or my Chase Club card with 50% bonus, I may overall get a better value from that than by staying with DL miles. So as I use my Amex less, I will fly DL less as well. and just focus on the cheapest F class fare.

Already after the DL/US swap at DCA my DL flying is down. This will make DL like SW for my flight choices. AA has worse planes, but a bad F seat is better than a seat in economy on a better plane.

Originally Posted by 1973 Ford Pinto
How do you figure that? This is a huge boost for PMs.

OK? I don't see what that has to do with whether you're a high spender or not, or how that changes based on the new waiver threshold?
tn_flyer likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The spend increase is pretty silly being 250k now. Basically excludes pax who use the card for personal purchases to get the waiver.

Not sure why some are saying its a good thing for PMs either... since this change is going to cause the PM ranks to expand more from DMs that don't make the spend.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by prushing
I don't know how anyone can't hit $15,000. I dropped down to Gold last year and still was well over $15,000.
Naive! My wife and I have been DM every year since its inception and never have spent $15K.
mfong and dmann33 like this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: Delta DM and 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RobertS975
Naive! My wife and I have been DM every year since its inception and never have spent $15K.
Yup! Even trapped in a place like SLC, have averaged only $11-12K a year with 130-140K MQMs, as I do a lot of cheap international flying...
mfong likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by rylan
The spend increase is pretty silly being 250k now. Basically excludes pax who use the card for personal purchases to get the waiver.

Not sure why some are saying its a good thing for PMs either... since this change is going to cause the PM ranks to expand more from DMs that don't make the spend.
It doesn't really impact PMs or lower. In fact it is a slight benefit for PMs since anybody who was using the waiver to make DM will now be a DM and depending on fare class you could now be ahead of them on the upgrade list.

Originally Posted by bergamini
Oh no, the goal posts will definitely keep moving until we hit another recession or other tragic occurrence that affects the commercial aviation landscape. Then it will tilt the other way.
You are right on the $$$

On average, the people most ticked about some little perk going away, are also the easiest to "buy" back in a downturn.

bergamini likes this.
Suspended

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold
Originally Posted by ffI
The number of PMs will increase, so PM will not see any real benefit as it will now be based on fare type for each flight.
Even assuming the total number of medallions stays the same, it's much better for current PMs to have fewer diamonds and more PMs. And if that PM earned it via real MQDs, he's probably not buying many X fares.

A high spender who had loyalty to Amex and DL can switch to any F class in any airline and be better off, so it does destroy loyalty to the old Card / Airline miles / Airline Status combo.
Which again, is great for current PMs. Every one of those "dime store DMs" that starts playing the field is good for them.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by 1973 Ford Pinto
Great news for PMs and DMs who actually spend money with Delta. Bad news for the moochers and freeloaders.
Bad news also for Delta and Amex. Good news for JetBlue, Southwest and Alaska. Last time I change planes in ATL heading for FL.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL DM
Not hardly

Originally Posted by JetAway
Anyone spending a quarter million dollars on a single credit card is unlikely to need or be very interested in any airline's "elite" status. They will either be flying private (an increasingly attractive option) or buying premium tickets. So this threshold looks both silly and pointless.

Seriously? I am fortunate to spend the $250K+ on my DL Amex cards, but I cannot fathom flying private. I am indeed interested in the airline's elite status. There are not many of us here that will meet the $250k spend while only reaching $1500 in MQDs, so I can fully rebut your "pointless" remarks. I'm not an uber 1%er either, just an average business owner who buys supplies and pays property taxes with Amex. Heck, I can barely afford to fly coach!

Frankly, I don't have a reason to earn MQD except for the annual Coach TATL + GUC. I've got tons of miles and I really don't fly as much as most diamonds, so I am not filling the clubs and taking that many, if any, upgrades away from others (I only fly a few tourist routes per year).

What irks me, is that

1) I may not be able to sustain the $250k Amex spend indefinitely, and I was banking on the fact that I could rollover diamond for a couple years when I stop earning boost MQMs.

2) I have redeemed/planned my GUC redemptions based on the fact that I would rollover 2019 DM as of Jan/Feb 2018, now I guess my 2019 GUCs won't be available until I can get to $250K spend and that will be too late for my 2018 TATL. Basically, I claimed my 2018 GUC in early 2017 to get the nearly 2 years worth of "gift Gold" status to spouse. (2017 to end of 2018).

I would speculate that DL has calculated that they get enough kickbacks on $250K spend to justify the DM status - so yes we earn it. Question is... for the miles flown DM haters out there, how many of you are actually paying for your $15,000 MQD with your own money vs the corporate employer you work for? Kudos if you are, you deserve it, but for the others? I'm not so sure they really earned anything, yet they call us credit card MQMers freeloaders. In the end it is just a game we all play. Rest assured, DL gets paid one way or the other.
SLCEO likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
The more I think about it, the more I agree with those who posit that DL doesn't intend for anyone to hit the $250k threshold. The number of people who can put $250k/yr through a card is limited pool to begin with. The number of people who can put $250k/yr through a card AND happen to fly 125k MQMs on Delta AND don't hit MQDs has got to be infinitesimal. Why they don't just drop the waiver altogether, we'll never know... whether it's due to the agreement with Amex or some other reason.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by ND76
I could hit it if I chose to buy FCM tickets on every trip; rather, I choose to try to pay $300-400 RT to the west coast, and $700-800 RT to Europe. I'm largely able to book my travel at least three weeks in advance, and I live in an area where I live 100 miles or less from six different airports (IAD, DCA, BWI, CHO, RIC and MDT) and 140 miles from a seventh (PHL), so I can usually find a bargain, even on short notice.
Yup! Even trapped in a place like SLC, have averaged only $11-12K a year with 130-140K MQMs, as I do a lot of cheap international flying...
I hate to break it to you all, but if you all are the exact passenger type that DL is trying to weed out.

Your fares barely cover the fuel used to transport you and if you are obtaining DM benefits on top of that, then you are costing DL money.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by pvn
lol, yeah, how could he possibly benefit from driving traffic to his ad-saturated blog? Double benefit in this case in that most of the traffic he's driving there is made up of gullible, insecure suckers.
Is there still debate about whether the increase is no longer a rumor?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.