Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by captaink
The idea that Delta is rewarding customers that generate more revenue at the expense of customers who generate less revenue should not be controversial,
I have nothing to worry about because I will make the new waiver. But anyway I would argue that a diamond under current waiver spending 10k mqd's per year but only flying a dozen-ish RT tickets per year, are as valuable than a "road warrior" doing 50 Round trips, getting tons of upgrades, and only doing 15-20k mqd's.

I only fly about a dozen RT's per year. I get upgraded on maybe 4 of them. Pay for maybe 5 of them and sit in the back the rest.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Hyatt thought as much too.

And Coke with New Coke.
This isn't anywhere in league with those changes.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by gooselee
Nobody can predict the future, but clearly someone at DL with oodles of data crunched the numbers and was able to convince management that this move would a) decrease the number of lower-margin customers, b) increase the number of higher-margin customers, or c) both.

Balance that out with revenue gained/lost on the Amex side, and obviously DL thinks they will come out ahead in the end vs. status quo.
Somebody thought the same during the Leo Mullin era.
Somebody thought the same when jacking up mileage upgrades to 60k one-way from a Y fare.
Somebody thought the same when all the airlines tried to massively jack up pricing for multi-city tickets by prohibiting end-on-end travel.

Obviously Delta thinks they will come out ahead in the end for every single action they take, otherwise they would not take said action. After all, as others here never fail to point out, DL is running a business. Companies are perfectly capable of getting things wrong despite the best data, the best intentions, or both.
Zeeb likes this.

Last edited by javabytes; Sep 26, 2017 at 2:43 pm
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Halloweverybody
I have nothing to worry about because I will make the new waiver. But anyway I would
Apparently Delta disagrees with you.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
I totally agree on all points. But that's really Delta's point. They want the "high spending" clients to be Diamonds... and those are the ones that buy first class tickets.

And yes, NO WAY in the world should someone spend $250k on the Delta card... or even one credit card. You could be elite in 3 or 4 organizations if you spread it out right! HAH!
If you can afford to buy (or bill to clients) paid international business-class/paid domestic first-class every time you fly then being a diamond is worthless. Plus, you're probably already in the standalone Delta 360 program.

Anyone who works in the non-profit realm or works for a company with strict travel policies may have difficulty hitting the threshold, especially if it is increased from the present level of $15,000 per calendar year.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: Delta DM 3+MM
Guess we all can go back to shopping at Costco.
bergamini, captaink, ffI and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Not at all. I'm saying that if anyone expects that the goal posts aren't going to keep moving (and not to the FF's advantage), then they're living under a rock.
Oh no, the goal posts will definitely keep moving until we hit another recession or other tragic occurrence that affects the commercial aviation landscape. Then it will tilt the other way.

When I was Plat on PMNW in like 2001 (yes, I'm old), and the highest status was Plat and you only had to earn 75K flight miles to get it, it was very rare to be Platinum and my UG success rate was unbelievably high. It just boggles my mind that a 125K tier needs to be thinned.
davetravels and MSPeconomist like this.
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
I doubt as the sky club is still open to the Amex Plat and to the Increased DR card holders hoping for a "tie breaker" benefit
2 and 3
Anyone who can spend 250k and be a "jerk" can buy F class and finish your "free" upgrade chances.
You are really a frequent "low spender", not a high spender if you are hoping for an upgrade.

It really means DL does not care about any Medallion below DM.
If I was a high spender, I would rather buy a F class ticket (paid or miles) than buy economy hoping for "free" upgrade. Simple.

Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
You're right, I don't know that. But there will certainly be less DM's in 2019 and
that will make for a better experience boarding in Zone PREM, a better experience in the Sky Club, and
better chances for upgrades for higher spenders. I'm reading this forum looking at what some DMs have spent with Delta for 125,000 MQMs and it irritates me that I've spent FAR more on average in the last few years and only made PM.
All those "Dollar Store Diamonds" won't necessarily be ahead on the upgrade lists in 2019, and that's a good thing in my mind.

I don't know how anyone can't hit $15,000. I dropped down to Gold last year and still was well over $15,000.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
I didn't bother reading every page but I certainly don't see this as a devaluation. A frequent flyer program is rewarding people who spend more money on FLYING and on the amount FLOWN. Isn't this what it should be? I guess I'm missing something but it seems like this is what most Frequent Flyers have been demanding out of their FF programs.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by lking
Guess we all can go back to shopping at Costco.
That trick won't work anymore since Costco joined the long list of merchants that stopped accepting Am Ex almost a year ago

(and for the record I never tried the Costco MS trick and found the trick to be in bad taste).
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold
Originally Posted by ffI
It really means DL does not care about any Medallion below DM.
How do you figure that? This is a huge boost for PMs.

If I was a high spender, I would rather buy a F class ticket (paid or miles) than buy economy hoping for "free" upgrade. Simple.
OK? I don't see what that has to do with whether you're a high spender or not, or how that changes based on the new waiver threshold?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Halloweverybody
But anyway I would argue that a diamond under current waiver spending 10k mqd's per year but only flying a dozen-ish RT tickets per year, are as valuable than a "road warrior" doing 50 Round trips, getting tons of upgrades, and only doing 15-20k mqd's.
That math doesn't make sense though. As a mundane road warrior, I can tell you that they price our tickets in the $5-800 range so most road warriors who do 50 RT's are going to be spending $25-40K. I'm doing 35 RT's this year and will hit 20K spend. I'm paying more per mile to fly on DL than most.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:45 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
That trick won't work anymore since Costco joined the long list of merchants that stopped accepting Am Ex almost a year ago

(and for the record I never tried the Costco MS trick and found the trick to be in bad taste).
Think you missed the point of their post. Because of this change they’re cancelling their DL Amex and can now go back to shopping at Costco using their Visa cards because they are no longer tied to Amex to meet the waiver.
Seabilly and lking like this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesteroh

Pretty sure that was the poster's point.

No more need to use the Amex at all.

It wasn't about a trick.
lking likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.