Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:11 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
This move is to lower chances of DM from friend's DR cards MQM gifts

Very few people flying DL will feel the need to spend 250k on Amex
I think one will see a lot more PM and a lot fewer DMs.

If you plan to hit DM with mainly card spend in 2017 do it NOW with the help of Delta Reserve MQM from friends.
In 2018, the value of DR MQMs will drop significantly as it is of no use beyond PM.
In fact I think the number of people with DR card will also drop (although the tie breaker will help the hard core keep it for a while).

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
The more I think about it, the more I'm wondering if I'm better off just dropping to PM for 2019 and getting rid of all my Am Ex cards except a reserve for SC access/tie breaker and just doing FCM on the long routes I want.

Between the savings on the annual fees on the Am Ex cards and the extra income I'll get from using a better rewards card on all the spend over skypeso's will help pay for some FCM fares and will guarantee I'll have a seat up front.

I was chatting with a girl in my office whose husband can't get anywhere near $250K in spend on credit cards and is going to drop to PM for 2019 but she said he knows his upgrade changes will drop significantly and on trips to Vegas, SFO, SAN and LAX he is just going to buy FC fares instead and/or use his many miles he has banked to upgrade.

If others dropping to PM use the same reasoning that is going to be fewer seats available upfront even though there are fewer diamonds competing for them. Maybe this is an effect Delta was hoping for, fewer diamonds plus they will sell more FC seats this way and/or get miles off the books.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by Start_at_UIN
Sounds like they really want to thin the herd.....
This won't thin much at all. It WILL get people to drop the Delta AMEX or at least immediately stop using it after a certain level, but almost all Diamonds already spend $15,000 MQDs a year anyway. This doesn't matter!
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by bergamini
Using this logic are you simply saying that they are getting rid of DM?.
Not at all. I'm saying that if anyone expects that the goal posts aren't going to keep moving (and not to the FF's advantage), then they're living under a rock.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by ffI
In 2018, the value of DR MQMs will drop significantly as it is of no use beyond PM.
In fact I think the number of people with DR card will also drop (although the tie breaker will help the hard core keep it for a while).
I disagree, you'll still want to use the card and spend $60k on it to get the 30,000 MQMs. This won't affect the use/need for the Delta Reserve Card at all!
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Delta probably realized they weren't getting as much benefit from AMEX as they could, so significantly increased the spend requirement for DM.

The MQD waiver probably wasn't giving DL much benefit compared to the costs of elite status -- or so they think (hmmm)

The flyers who spend $250k on an AMEX or who spend $15k are the ones DL wants to "keep." This is the highest tier status after all. By thinning out the DM population, it makes the remaining DMs feel more valued with more upgrades, etc. Since these are the high-spenders, they will keep spending on DL based on their positive experiences.

This also seems to coincide with the desire for FCM. If more and more First Class seats are being sold for cash, it seems like DL would want the "top of the top" to get the upgrades first (as they unfortunately become more scare in the future).
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:16 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
On with MS games

It will be a marathon MS spend to hit 250k each year!
I have to look at Frequent Miler blog to see what he comes up with on this one.
Originally Posted by josephstern
Well, it's out.
Gotta charge $250,000 for the MQD waiver for Diamond for 2019.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:18 pm
ffI

Welcome to FT

It looks like it took a major DL event to get you out of lurking!

msanseve
Programs: Delta, AA, JetBlue, Southwest

Originally Posted by msanseve
Received this today from Delta... outrageous!!

As a Credit Card Member, we want you to be aware that starting January 1st, 2018, the Medallion Qualification Dollar (MQD) Waiver for Diamond Medallion Status is increasing. The MQD Waiver for Diamond Medallion Status is currently earned by spending $25,000 in eligible purchases in a calendar year on a SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express. It is being adjusted to $250,000 in a calendar year.

We understand this is a significant increase, but wanted you to know that the MQD Waiver to qualify for all of the best-in-class benefits of Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion Status will still remain at $25,000.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
As long as you have 2-3 paid international business-class airfares then you should be OK, but anyone who doesn't travel internationally in paid international business-class will find it difficult to spend $15,000 unless they can afford paid domestic first-class tickets.

Besides being absurd, there is absolutely no reason why anyone who can spend $250,000 on a credit card should be using a Delta-branded American Express that only gives 1 point per $1 of general spending. There are much, much better credit cards out there.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ffI
Very few people flying DL will feel the need to spend 250k on Amex
I think one will see a lot more PM and a lot fewer DMs.

If you plan to hit DM with mainly card spend in 2017 do it NOW with the help of Delta Reserve MQM from friends.
The Reserve card also offers SkyClub access, which will be handy for any fallen DMs in the future. It also explains the new skyclub choice benefit options- DMs with the reserve card can now avail of other options instead of having duplicative access.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by CalebMCO
Good. Although this will not please everyone, this is a logical business decision.
Based on what? Isnt DL raking in billions in profits?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by gooselee
and obviously DL thinks they will come out ahead in the end vs. status quo.
Hyatt thought as much too.

And Coke with New Coke.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
As long as you have 2-3 paid international business-class airfares then you should be OK, but anyone who doesn't travel internationally in paid international business-class will find it difficult to spend $15,000 unless they can afford paid domestic first-class tickets.

Besides being absurd, there is absolutely no reason why anyone who can spend $250,000 on a credit card should be using a Delta-branded American Express that only gives 1 point per $1 of general spending. There are much, much better credit cards out there.
I totally agree on all points. But that's really Delta's point. They want the "high spending" clients to be Diamonds... and those are the ones that buy first class tickets.

And yes, NO WAY in the world should someone spend $250k on the Delta card... or even one credit card. You could be elite in 3 or 4 organizations if you spread it out right! HAH!
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ffI
It will be a marathon MS spend to hit 250k each year!
I have to look at Frequent Miler blog to see what he comes up with on this one.
  1. Find an apartment complex that accepts amex for rent payments and has no restrictions on subletting
  2. Rent 21 units for a 12-month term @ $1000/month
  3. Sublease those 21 units for $1000/month (cash or check only)
  4. Bingo! $250,000 manufactured spend for only $7,500 in CC merchant fees!

jamesteroh likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by BenA
In contrast, this is the e-mail that DMs who qualify via raw MQD earning receive:
I received the latter, along with "A Look At Your Qualification History".
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:32 pm
ffI

But that was the only reason for some high spenders on cards to fly DL

The program is a joke now.
I speak as one who has flown on SQ F on DL miles 70k each way to Singapore in the distant past.

DL Miles is the worst program and that does not change
AA and UA miles have more inherent value and I spend on AA and UA cards as a result.
The DL spend was to keep some status, which will not change, for <PM, but why even keep that going?

DL miles from flying were devalued by increasing the amount required for awards and the fees. They almost equal BA flying out of London.
DL miles from Amex transfer were also devalued by above
DL miles from Amex cards had some value for the incremental and incidental benefit

This move chips away at that incidental benefit of the cards
I gave away my DR MQMs from spend. Now I will close the DR and keep the SPG for spend and Plat Amex for all my paid airfare trips

If I was stupid enough to be loyal to DL alone,
AND
If I had enough money to spend I can hit 220k spend for 100k MQMs and get 30 more from a family or friend spending 60k, but what would that get me?

Nothing that spending a few 100$ on any airline flight alone just to sit in F would not get me. DL has destroyed loyalty as we know it, not only to DL, but also to the bank supporting DL (Amex)

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
United doesn't have a waiver for Premier 1K.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con.../PQD-FAQs.aspx

AA doesn't have a waiver for any elite level EQD requirement although spending on some cards can get extra EQD.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post28713178

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.