Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:56 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Zorak
Also relevant is how much AMEX pays DL. Even 3% of $25K is only $750, and after subtracting AMEX's overhead how much is left to pay to Delta...
A good while back, when the Amex waiver was being discussed, someone posted some numbers as to how much Delta actually nets on <let's say> $1000 worth of ticket sales, and the number was incredibly small.

I wish I knew where to look for that post.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMHO, Amex should segment elite waiver by card type. Gold wavier can extend to Gold level, Platinum waiver can extend to Platinum while Reserve waiver can extend to Diamond.@:-)
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TerryK
IMHO, Amex should segment elite waiver by card type. Gold wavier can extend to Gold level, Platinum waiver can extend to Platinum while Reserve waiver can extend to Diamond.@:-)
This is an idea I could get behind.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
For those who are AMEX customers in good standing and do not want to see this change, call AMEX and ask to be connected with a retention agent, and share your concerns.

Be prepared for a supercilious "Let me confirm that your account qualifies you to talk to a retention agent." But, if you are not a deadbeat, or someone who carries the card but does not use it, you should ultimately reach the retention agent.

BTW, I easily meet the annual $15K MQD threshold. However, I am tired of getting the dirty end of the stick every time DL and AMEX get together and decide to benefit themselves at my disadvantage.

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Jul 17, 2017 at 1:15 pm
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.8MM, IHG Spire Elite
My first reaction will be to cancel the AMEX Delta Reserve card, my 2nd during 2019 will be to spread the love to other airlines.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaFirst
My first reaction will be to cancel the AMEX Delta Reserve card, my 2nd during 2019 will be to spread the love to other airlines.
This may be like what happened with Hyatt's recent status achievement changes: there's a diaspora of elites, and they all find that life is pretty nice without allegiance to one travel company.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by TerryK
While I really admire your level of complexity and it is Delta worthy level of confusion when it comes to everything to do with the program I think it is a bit too much.

But how about a tweak of this (and this is must IMO). ONLY make the MQD waver (as it now is) for those who have the Reserve card. That would make AMEX more happy and it would still "thin the crowd" a bit?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
Originally Posted by youvesaiditall
144 segments last year with under 10k in spend. Needless to say, I would not bother to spend a penny on the card if this was removed. (Much better currencies out there, obviously). I would also have to seriously consider just giving up on DL, period. My primary reason for flying them was that I could get to DM as apposed to AA Platinum or Plat Pro.

Agree this is a benefit to those that actually meet the spend--but there are a few of us out there that Delta and AMEX would miss out from, I imagine.
This 100%. AMEX would lose my biz immediately.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL DM 3MM
I hope this does happen - Since 1/2014, I have over $131k MQD's ($20k so far this year) - 99% domestic travel. I also get Amex "Waivers" and spend ~$100k per year on AMEX too.

Thin the heard! I often buy discounted F, but the times I don't I am maybe 60% success this year on upgrades. Also, I have already had 2 RUC's not clear this year (applied at time of booking too) and often have a heck of a time finding space to clear at booking for my GUC's. I am mostly flying to SFO and it baffles me how it seems 1/4 of my SFO flights board when PREM is called during the boarding process.

I get a chuckle out of how people can fly 125,000 miles for $2k and get the waiver - now, one less loophole to take space from those of us spending more with them. I bothers me that someone can get several AMEX cards, set themselves up to fly maybe 40/50k miles and get all the benefits of others who pay a lot more to Delta.

As for the argument that AMEX $ make their way to Delta and thus, are as valuable as MQD's - I don't buy it - meaning, maybe 1% of the spend makes it to Delta and in exchange you also get SkyMiles which themselves are worth no less than $0.01. Heck, the miles posting to your account can be used as pay with miles for $0.01 - a wash. I get it, there is other monies too (annual fee, etc.) - but heck, that waiver as diamond exposes Delta to 2 GUC's, upgrades (C+), other benefits and sorry, nobody is using a GUC on a $100 flight - they are thousands of $ of benefit just in GUC's alone...

If this change in policy is true, Delta internally did the math and am drawing the same conclusion I am... Thanks Delta for increasing the value of my Diamond status!
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
What annoying is that I'll have enough roll over MQM by the end of this year to carry me over for that period after simply dropping $25K on one of my Reserve cards. I could have made some other moves had I known this was coming down the pipe.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
This also completely kills off any remaining value of rollover miles.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Renes Points
But how about a tweak of this (and this is must IMO). ONLY make the MQD waver (as it now is) for those who have the Reserve card. That would make AMEX more happy and it would still "thin the crowd" a bit?
Thats a good idea/compromise and keeps in-line with DL marketing and Amex card benefits.

Another would be to even just have the waiver be a 'credit' towards the MQDs... lets say for example when you hit the waiver, you still need to spend half of the originally required MQDs to get the corresponding status level. That could also achieve the perhaps intended reduction of elites that qualify almost only via plastic?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by Worldtraveler727
I'd be interested to know how big of a problem this really is. How many people are able to fly 125k miles for less than $15k? They should get diamond as a consolation prize as that would be miserable.
I do regularly! With PWM especially!
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
Originally Posted by youvesaiditall
144 segments last year with under 10k in spend. Needless to say, I would not bother to spend a penny on the card if this was removed. (Much better currencies out there, obviously). I would also have to seriously consider just giving up on DL, period. My primary reason for flying them was that I could get to DM as apposed to AA Platinum or Plat Pro.

Agree this is a benefit to those that actually meet the spend--but there are a few of us out there that Delta and AMEX would miss out from, I imagine.

I gotta say. I'm a little perplexed at this. I'm assuming you are connecting. So a couple questions. I'm assuming that means 36 trips per year. Why on earth would you connect when you could presumably as a CLT flyer fly AA directly? I can't imagine doing 36 trips a year connecting if I had direct options. Also if the 36 number is correct this shows me you only avg 277 spend per trip. Hardly a lot. In 2017 is elite status really worth this kind of effort to preserve?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Perspective from "View from the Wing" ("Delta Issues Non-Denial Denial")

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....-elite-status/

===============================
BTW... if DL does away with the credit card spend waiver, why should we not expect them to simultaneously jack up the MQD requirements?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.