Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rylan
Alternatively, those buying expensive D1 fares don't need the GUCs since they or their company pays to sit up front all the time.. and now they need the high fares to keep DM so wouldn't buy a cheap ticket and upgrade.
There is almost certainly a substantial class of flyers who primarily fly paid D1 (on company dime) and have no problem hitting DM revenue requirements, but also fly once or twice a year on their own dime and would value the GUC's (due to not being able to afford D1 on their own dime). I think you are ignoring a very large market segment here.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Renes Points
Would LOVE to be wrong on this one - sadly I am not.

There is limited time to make voices known or this will become the new policy.
Don't you mean.... There is a limited time to make voices known. This will become the new policy.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA EXP, AS MVP75K GOLD, HHonors Diamond, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by kop84
Should people who fly less then $.12 per mile ($15K/125K MQM's) get GUC's that can have value in the thousands of dollars?
Of course...you are forgetting the cash value component of the American Express relationship to Delta. Estimated to haul in more than $4 Billion thru 2021, Delta is reaping huge profits through sales of these miles to the credit card companies.

As high spenders with these credit cards, the value to the cardholder and loyal flyer on Delta is rewarding for a mutually (Delta/AmEx/Passenger) beneficial relationship.

GUC's are only cleared when they are not sold; revenue management has taking the reigns in that department. So, a 'perceived value' of thousands, but in reality often a seat that might have flown empty otherwise...so a fixed cost of a premium meal (minus cost of coach meal) to Delta and and amenity kit?

American Express should be calling for an emergency meeting with the top Execs at Delta before their cardholders melt the phones...

In 2016, we were successful in getting Delta to reverse their Platinum/Diamond flying with a companion Comfort+ seat policy. They DID listen to their elites....why not now?

Here is a great video on this revenue component of American Express to Delta.

Last edited by laptoptravel; Jul 17, 2017 at 11:22 am Reason: spelling, grammar
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by OHDL1
Don't you mean.... There is a limited time to make voices known. This will become the new policy.
Sigh. Maybe. But I know from insiders they have "flinched" before out of fear of "what if".

It is worth noting that 50-60% of Delta earnings comes from miles. See: http://www.msn.com/en-au/video/finan...BEkOK6?ocid=st
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:27 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
@Renes Points, Is there any indication of changes to the waived MQD requirement for non-US residents?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by John DELTA
Of course...you are forgetting the cash value component of the American Express relationship to Delta. Estimated to haul in more than $4 Billion thru 2021, Delta is reaping huge profits through sales of these miles to the credit card companies.

As high spenders with these credit cards, the value to the cardholder and loyal flyer on Delta is rewarding for a mutually (Delta/AmEx/Passenger) beneficial relationship.

GUC's are only cleared when they are not sold; revenue management has taking the reigns in that department. So, a 'perceived value' of thousands, but in reality often a seat that might have flown empty otherwise...so a fixed cost of a premium meal (minus cost of coach meal) to Delta and and amenity kit?

American Express should be calling for an emergency meeting with the top Execs at Delta before their cardholders melt the phones...

In 2016, we were successful in getting Delta to reverse their Platinum/Diamond flying with a companion Comfort+ seat policy. They DID listen to their elites....why not now?

Here is a great video on this revenue component of American Express to Delta.
The real unknown for us is how many DM's only remain DM due to the AMEX waiver. Obviously DL has the numbers from the last several years, and it's a near certainty they've shared this information with AMEX. Perhaps there aren't all that many and this is really a rather negligible issue between DL and AMEX. And it's not like 100% of those using the Reserve or other DL branded AMEX cards are going to drop their cards instantly when/if this takes effect. It could easily only be a tiny drip in the multi-billion dollar bucket.

I think we all get caught in the FT bubble and really forget that we are a highly unrepresentative sample of the overall passengers on DL.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by angra
fwiw, last year I made > 145kMQM for <$10kMQD. I have no idea how common or rare I am.

I do enjoy DM and would be sad to see this implemented, but I'd not be very worked up about, or feel that DAL had shortchanged me. My 2016 flying is almost certainly _not_ who they want to reward with top tier status.
I made DM on $8k MQD last year. I had like 46,000 MQM rollover last year and was able to fly 82k MQM last year. So, it would affect a few of us.

I won't make DM this year anyway, but I will probably be PM and need the MQD waiver.

Last edited by SJC ORD LDR; Jul 17, 2017 at 11:55 am
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Well, without the waiver I'm certainly not going to bother with the Amex anymore. I may keep a relationship with Amex, but it will be with a non-Delta branded card.

What will be really interesting is to see if partner MQD earning rules change along with this. I can still qualify if partner flying still counts, but if they close that as well and only incentivize flying on 006 tickets United style, it might be the final nail in the coffin that makes me a free agent - I simply don't fly $15k of only Delta metal. Living close to YVR, there are too many good international partners to limit myself like that...
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by LBJ
There is almost certainly a substantial class of flyers who primarily fly paid D1 (on company dime) and have no problem hitting DM revenue requirements, but also fly once or twice a year on their own dime and would value the GUC's (due to not being able to afford D1 on their own dime). I think you are ignoring a very large market segment here.
Yes, I did so on purpose to make a point in response to another poster. There are substantial mounts of high rev DM/D1 flyers, but there are also a substantial amount that has fluctuating travel that may make DM one year on straight up spend and MQM, and then relies on the Amex and rollover for another year.

Because of the current policies of waiver and rollover, it generates longer term loyalty instead of jumping to the next carrier. Kill the waiver, and there is a good chunk who would dump Amex spend in a heartbeat for other cards with better return.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by C W
@Renes Points, Is there any indication of changes to the waived MQD requirement for non-US residents?
My 3 sources only all shared what I have posted that is the change to DM waver. I have no facts on anything else.

Having said that, going into speculation mode, I would not be shocked if they look VERY closely at anyone who suddenly "moves" out of the USA this year and next and yet still keeps flying out of their old home town airports?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:39 am
C W

Originally Posted by Renes Points
My 3 sources only all shared what I have posted that is the change to DM waver. I have no facts on anything else.

Having said that, going into speculation mode, I would not be shocked if they look VERY closely at anyone who suddenly "moves" out of the USA this year and next and yet still keeps flying out of their old home town airports?
Thanks. Thankfully I am a legitimate expat.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:46 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
So, here'za specific 24 karat Diamond question . . . .

Am I worth more to Delta with $6000~ish MQDs and 2 Delta Amex cards & annual fees with $100,000 in spend

or

$15,000 in MQDs and NO Amex cards?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:46 am
C W

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Does anyone know how much money Delta gets from Amex spend? What is $25K spend worth to DL?

I know that full rate Amex merchant fee is 3%, which would be $750, though plenty of merchants pay less. If Delta gets half of that (and I have no idea what they actually get), plus some part of the $95/$195 annual fee, we are talking no more than $500 to Delta for $25K spend.

If people are actually getting away with spending much less than $15K, I can see why DL would want to eliminate the spend waiver from DM which comes with very valuable perks, especially GCU's and SC access.
I've done this calculus myself before and always wondered how the MQD waiver really makes financial sense for Delta. I always assumed it was more about trying to get people into the habit of using the DL Amex cards well beyond the threshold as well as proving a hoop for some people to jump through to retain their loyalty if they'd otherwise defect.

I always thought the Miles Boost DMs who fly like 25k a year made even less sense. Delta is basically selling DM for at most a few thousand dollars, it doesn't make sense.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:50 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by C W
I've done this calculus myself before and always wondered how the MQD waiver really makes financial sense for Delta. I always assumed it was more about trying to get people into the habit of using the DL Amex cards well beyond the threshold as well as proving a hoop for some people to jump through to retain their loyalty if they'd otherwise defect.

I always thought the Miles Boost DMs who fly like 25k a year made even less sense. Delta is basically selling DM for at most a few thousand dollars, it doesn't make sense.
Also relevant is how much AMEX pays DL. Even 3% of $25K is only $750, and after subtracting AMEX's overhead how much is left to pay to Delta...
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I always wondered why the waiver was so low, or not graduated.

Why not make it $125K for DM, $75K for PM, etc.?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.