Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by danola
Just by the volume of comments/ reactions voicing their disapproval in such a short time, shows what a monumental miscalculation delta marketing geniouses have made.
I would draw the opposite conclusion. Reaction has been muted, considering that this is a major change to the program.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CalebMCO
I would draw the opposite conclusion. Reaction has been muted, considering that this is a major change to the program.
Initial social media/blog outrage. Knew that is all it would be. Why? There is nothing anyone can actually do. It wasn't going to change.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 5:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ULDB65
And considering there are something like 74 million Skymiles members, our little FT sample is miniscule...
Maybe one tenth of one percent of those SkyMiles members (BTW, 74,000,000 is low--it was over 80,000,000 around the time of the DL ATL DO, so maybe your number is "active" members defined very liberally?) are DMs. No one else has reason to care about the change for now.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gooselee
I agree with your first sentence, but for folks involved in the 2nd sentence, a lot will be indifferent. Many of those people don't need MQDs to count because they meet them on their own, and many more aren't DM so they aren't impacted by the higher waiver amount.

And "total traveling population that actually cares" might only represent 1% of the overall population of SM elite members, which only represents 20% of all SM members, which only represents 50% of all DL pax. (I've totally made up all of these numbers.)

Whatever the percentages, FT is one of the worst representative samples in existence.
When DM started, there were about two million elites and supposedly 2% of the elites, or about 40,000 individuals, had DM status as charter members. There are certainly more DMs now, but I doubt it would be significantly over 100,000.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: DL: 2MM/DM Marriott: LT Platinum
Happen to call the DM line for an upgrade request and at the end of call I mentioned that if they are taking notes, I would like to express my displeasure at the MQM waiver change from $25k to $250k. She said that they are getting a lot of calls and now have created a list of members who have expressed dissatisfaction with this change. People on this will list will get a phone call from a Delta representative to discuss/explain this matter. She mentioned that it will be two to three weeks before someone calls me. Not sure if anything new/useful will come out of the call but good to know that DL is taking the effort to affected folks.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When DM started, there were about two million elites and supposedly 2% of the elites, or about 40,000 individuals, had DM status as charter members. There are certainly more DMs now, but I doubt it would be significantly over 100,000.
Funny, sometimes it feels like everybody is DM when lining up at the gates. Too bad the programs don't break out their membership numbers, would be very informative.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CommentatusMaximus
Funny, sometimes it feels like everybody is DM when lining up at the gates. Too bad the programs don't break out their membership numbers, would be very informative.
It is likely pretty low and not what we think. Maybe 100K is accurate? ATL-LAX for instance on the triple 7 flight daily. There are a good number of seats in FC and it boards with about 40-60 people in PREM. That means what? DMs and their party make up a small part of that? Or even half?

Wish they did share the numbers.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
The new policy will benefit me so I love it. I spend $35K - $40K per year and alternate between Plat & Diamond every other year due to MQM. It won't help me qualify for Diamond, but it will thin the ranks that I compete with to get that domestic F upgrade.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
The new policy will benefit me so I love it. I spend $35K - $40K per year and alternate between Plat & Diamond every other year due to MQM. It won't help me qualify for Diamond, but it will thin the ranks that I compete with to get that domestic F upgrade.
You mean those upgrades that are actively being sold as FCM? Guess what, even as a DM I've moved to taking advantage of the buy-ups most of the time when the difference is reasonable. Obviously others are doing the same, as there are few seats left for upgrades... and those leftover pickings are going to continue to dwindle.

Another case of short-sighted 'it helps me so damn the rest'...
Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
This makes the pay with miles feature of the DL AmEx cards much less attractive. In the past, folks were using the option as a way to essentially get an award ticket (but not at great value per mile) that generated MQMs.
You do get full MQMs with PWM, but also can't use RUC/GUC for upgrades. I've mostly used PWMs when buying F/J fares to knock the price down a bit. I did buy a ticket for a nephew recently: 40K SM was the best I could find for the dates but a cash ticket was $300. For family peace reasons it had to be a "free" ticket so I went with PWM,
Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
...There are certainly more DMs now, but I doubt it would be significantly over 100,000.
Which makes the few dozen active DM posters on FT a truly microscopic representation, despite our beliefs otherwise...
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by rylan
You mean those upgrades that are actively being sold as FCM? Guess what, even as a DM I've moved to taking advantage of the buy-ups most of the time when the difference is reasonable. Obviously others are doing the same, as there are few seats left for upgrades... and those leftover pickings are going to continue to dwindle.

I do as well if the price is reasonable, especially on long hauls or where I want the SDC flexibility. And if I decide to drop to PM in 2019 instead of going for the $250K spend or $15K MQD's I have a lot of RDM's to burn and may as well just use them as PWM to upgrade. Only reason I want diamond is for the co-terminal capability and the GU's and if I do go for the 250K Am Ex spend that is going to give me at least $2,500 to have for PWM upgrades or to do 20 OW long haul upgrades if I want to use the 12,500 miles instead on a long haul where F is more expensive or if I use the RDM's outright for an award trip I'll be booking in J/First. So in my case regardless of if I drop to PM or stay at DM I'll be buying more FC tickets taking upgrade inventory away.

As I mentioned last week the husband of someone in my office isn't going to be able to put $250K on their Am Ex or reach diamond with $15K MQDs and he has a ton of RDM's and is going to just start buying first class outright on long hauls or burning RDM's for mileage upgrades.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by rylan

Why do you assume these two things (waiver boost to $250k for DM and more FCM) are connected? If this move reduces the number of DMs, then anybody who's either (a) still going to be DM,or (b) still going to be a PM, benefits in the competition for whatever number of FC seats are available for upgrade.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Might be interesting to have a poll in the DL forum, asking DMs to answer a yes/no question:

Do you accumulate more than $15k MQDs/year or spend more than $250k/year on the DL Amex?

See what % of respondent DMs this change will actually affect.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Might be interesting to have a poll in the DL forum, asking DMs to answer a yes/no question:

Do you accumulate more than $15k MQDs/year or spend more than $250k/year on the DL Amex?

See what % of respondent DMs this change will actually affect.
Pretty much anybody can create a poll on FT, but if we're going to do this, let's think about what the questions should be. I don't think anyone is likely to get a new Reserve card as a result of the new $250,000 MQD waiver. OTOH, some people might normally be close to the $15,000 MQD requirement and can increase their spend on DL tickets to get there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.