Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
But, for Delta, that is the purpose of the Diamond level... to reward high spending clients.
Well, high-profit customers, anyway. Not sure they can suss out the difference, but those are the ones they care about.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, if do that, you've spent $110,000 on those cards, yes? If you only travel 25,000 MQMs a year to get to the 125k MQM for Diamond, does being a Diamond really matter to you?
And, along that same vein, does it affect many others if this person is a Diamond? If they don't fly, they aren't competing for many upgrades or jamming up many lounges.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:30 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Doubt it. It's nearly impossible to fly that many miles and spend just over $1,000.... you must be carrying over from previous years. If so, yes, you are the ones that Delta wants to target on this.
Feel free to doubt it. Yes, 57K rollover, as posted here in post #997 :

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28862819-post997.html
Attached Images  
Xeno, pgh234 and taxicabnumber like this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:52 pm

Called in yesterday and just asked if it was a typo on the 250k. They had some form ready to fill out and took my comments. I just told them i was surprised at the amount?

Just got what looks like a cut and paste response from Delta.
--
Dear Mr.

Thank you for contacting us regarding the changes to qualification for 2019 Diamond Medallion Status.

We understand your concerns and apologize that you are not happy. We are committed to ensuring we meet the expectations around Diamond benefits like Complimentary Upgrade availability and Delta Sky Club access. With our growing Diamond Medallion population a change was needed in how Members qualify for Diamond.

We understand that you would prefer Diamond Medallion Status and you have been loyal to Delta, but please remember that the $25,000 MQD Waiver can still be used to achieve all of the best-in-class benefits of Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion Status. And remember, you can keep Diamond by earning $15,000 MQDs or reach the new MQD Waiver amount of $250,000.

Thank you for your continued loyalty and for choosing Delta.

Sincerely,
Robert W.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Wow, that's cheap. Delta's average rev per pax mile is around 20c, you're <1/3 of that.
Where did this stat come from?

It's pretty revealing. That would mean that, on average, it takes $25k MQD to gain 125k MQM. So...those of you getting to DM on $2k MQD are in fact the cheapskates.

My CPM with DL for the year is just over $0.26, and in past years it's been closer to $0.50, so I'm now going to strut around with the believe that I'm the one paying for all the benefits for you low-rev freeloaders.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by nydave
... Just got what looks like a cut and paste response from Delta.
--
... you can keep Diamond by earning $15,000 MQDs or reach the new MQD Waiver amount of $250,000. ...
really? they expect us to believe we're "earning" MQDs?
davetravels likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I find it very hard to believe that you can fly 90,000 MQMs (assuming worst case where you get 30,000 MQM from the Reserve card) and you won't spend $15k on flights? Seems unlikely.
I have flown between 140,000 and 160,000 MQMs each of the last three years, excluding the MQM bonus from the Reserve card. My MQD has been between $14,000 and $19,000. This year, I should finish with about 150,000 MQMs and $16,000 spent.
MikeyZBT likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Not sure if this has been mentioned in here already, But DL CEO mentioned this MQD Waiver thing echoing what many on here have said

"Delta wants to reward customers who spend to fly on the airline"

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/09/del...itch-below-31/

SO anyone questioning the motivations there it is
Diamonds hitting MQD requirement via flying would probably mostly agree
Platinums like me welcome former Diamonds who used the loophole to join us in line for upgrades...potentially behind us depending on fare class
MikeyZBT likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL DM MM
Given the incredible response by FTers to this thread, Delta will dramatically reduce the number of Diamond Medallions with this new policy. A few will win (less crowded SCs and more complimentary upgrades) but many will lose.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
Originally Posted by LonghaulCommuter
Given the incredible response by FTers to this thread, Delta will dramatically reduce the number of Diamond Medallions with this new policy. A few will win (less crowded SCs and more complimentary upgrades) but many will lose.
Lose no, migrate yes. I thought on it a bunch and I feel quasi liberated. DL will see a lot less of my BIS time and I'll drop the coin for comparable product elsewhere when the routing/timing is simply better. DL will certainly never see me on the West Coast again or Texas for that matter.

I'll still achieve PM easily by Q1 of each year and will do so by spending 1500-2000 USD with them and the MQD waiver. I'll migrate the other 8-10K in airline spend a year to other airlines and 150-175K in CC spend to another card.

I realize I am on the bubble on hitting either metric but both are still an unrealistic stretch with my schedule.

Next year this will look like 25K spend, 75K miles...PM Medallion. I can't imagine I'll be alone here. DL chased me off with the move for next year.

Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LonghaulCommuter
As with all things FT, don't forget that this crowd is but a small fraction of the people out there in similar situations.

And I'm guessing the gamers (I'm one) are disproportionately represented here.
Zeeb likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The more I think about the new DL rule, the more I'm concerned that the problem is that the $250,000 waiver will allow the worst of the "gamers" to continue as DM by doing extreme MS as well as getting lots of MQMs from credit cards (or rollover in some cases) while booting some people with rather reasonable frequent travel patterns from the DM ranks. To me, this doesn't look fair and I would have *much* preferred to see DL simply eliminate the DM MQD waiver entirely rather than continue it at the quarter million level if DL didn't want to have it depend on elite tier in a reasonable way or be redefined in the form of threshold DL AmEx spend (at least on ONE personal Reserve card, perhaps not counting authorized users) giving credit toward modest numbers of MQDs.
Do credit card companies "approve" of MS?

I wonder if one of the reasons for a 250K threshold is to help Amex actually find the MS guys and shut them down - to be really cynical, maybe at the 240K mark. Seems to me it would be easier to find the handful of customers on track for 250K on DL cards and look into possibility of MS vs the millions of customers on track to the 25K level and check them for abuse of MS.

Just a thought, as a non-MSer myself.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mnbp
Do credit card companies "approve" of MS?

I wonder if one of the reasons for a 250K threshold is to help Amex actually find the MS guys and shut them down - to be really cynical, maybe at the 240K mark. Seems to me it would be easier to find the handful of customers on track for 250K on DL cards and look into possibility of MS vs the millions of customers on track to the 25K level and check them for abuse of MS.

Just a thought, as a non-MSer myself.
They already can find those. Why would this help?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL exDM MM
I have looked and cannot find a clue as to what "MS" stands for. Please translate. Thanks.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by captiveguru
I have looked and cannot find a clue as to what "MS" stands for. Please translate. Thanks.
Manufactured Spend

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.