Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by Dick Ginkowski
I think it's more possible that people will spend $15K+ but not necessarily 15K MQD. It depends on the route. Let's say you're on a route where the usual fare is $300, give or take, RT, and a normal trip earns 2500 MQM. That's 50 round trips but you're not likely to hit 15K MQD.
Actually, 50 x $300 = $15,000. Still no issue.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by davetravels
I'm currently at $1200~ MQDs with 123K MQMs.

I'm the

of this move.

I'm sure there are TONS more like me, particularly after reading this thread.
Doubt it. It's nearly impossible to fly that many miles and spend just over $1,000.... you must be carrying over from previous years. If so, yes, you are the ones that Delta wants to target on this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
I find it very hard to believe that you can fly 90,000 MQMs (assuming worst case where you get 30,000 MQM from the Reserve card) and you won't spend $15k on flights? Seems unlikely.
I received 100K MQMS from credit card spend this year and know there are others. You could also have another reserve card holder gift you their miles so it would be possible for me to have Diamond status with no spend with my eight credit card boosts and if I had a reserve card holder give me their two boosts.

Someone could have also had a good year (or three) of very heavy travelling and have a lot of rollover MQMs. I will be rolling over close to 100K at the end of this year and there are people that have reported having over 350K MQM's in their account
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Let's not forget that some people get 100,000 MQMs from four credit cards.
Well, if do that, you've spent $110,000 on those cards, yes? If you only travel 25,000 MQMs a year to get to the 125k MQM for Diamond, does being a Diamond really matter to you?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by RealHJ
JCB Marukai Premium gives you 3% cash-back on all purchases + $50 extra, for only $15 annual fee. No forex fee.
https://www.jcbusa.com/for_consumers...remium-hawaii/ https://www.jcbusa.com/for_consumers...mium-jcb-card/

Alliant Visa gives you 3% back first year, 2.5% back second year and onwards, for $59 annual fee (2nd year and on). http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/ba...signature-card
That JCB card offer is very tempting. Sadly I don't live in their market.

Definitely looking into the Alliant option.

Thank you, RealHJ!
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I received 100K MQMS from credit card spend this year and know there are others. You could also have another reserve card holder gift you their miles so it would be possible for me to have Diamond status with no spend with my eight credit card boosts and if I had a reserve card holder give me their two boosts.
Well, I guess you just made the point on EXACTLY why Delta is making this change. Why should they reward you with their highest elite status when you aren't really a loyal traveler.

Remember, Skymiles is a FREQUENT FLIER PROGRAM. You're not a Frequent Flier.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
I flew on a lot of expensive last minute tickets this year, and a lot of paid FC on personal trips. I BARELY (though I had the Amex waiver anyways) made the MQD for PM. It is surprisingly difficult when DL takes away what feels like half the fare for what they count as MQD.

It is very possible to have more than 125k MQM's and not hit the MQD waiver for DM.

Originally Posted by josephstern
That's part of the fun!

We're not all here to spend a lot of money, you know.
But, for Delta, that is the purpose of the Diamond level... to reward high spending clients.

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by happydad100
Great Post, RealHJ. I'm with you. I can't figure out JCB Marukai Premium. I live in Utah. Can I use it at places where VISA or AMEX are accepted? Thank you!
JCB will work at most merchants that take Visa/MC (it's included with most Visa/MC merchant accounts), and everywhere where Discover is taken in the US (included with Discover merchant account, always), where AmEx is taken in Canada (incl. w/ AmEx in Canada), where China UnionPay is taken in China, where DinersClub is taken in rest of the world, etc...

However, I think that the card may be limited to HI & CA residents only... so if you are in UT, that may be all a moot point.

The Alliant Visa is a good second choice though, IMO.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
NO, they didn't impact anyone with a foreign address or who was able to get a foreign address on their DL FF account.

Moreover, MQD requirements didn't really affect anyone who was already spending at least $25,000 per year on DL AmEx cards, which would include a large fraction of those with at least one DL AmEx Plat or Reserve card. It was never something of concern to folks in this group.
Again though, that's a small subset compared to the overall number of elites.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Well, I guess you just made the point on EXACTLY why Delta is making this change. Why should they reward you with their highest elite status when you aren't really a loyal traveler.

Remember, Skymiles is a FREQUENT FLIER PROGRAM. You're not a Frequent Flier.
I fly over 90K miles a year so I would say I'm a fairly frequent flyer. And seeing some of the absurd fares they charge out of DTW where people on the same planes have flown on a connecting flight and paying less, I'd say Delta is making money off me.

If Delta is really concerned with rewarding loyalty they would have made this change at all levels and not granted a waiver for foreign addresses.
Seabilly likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by burbanite
Wow, that's cheap. Delta's average rev per pax mile is around 20c, you're <1/3 of that.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I find it very hard to believe that you can fly 90,000 MQMs (assuming worst case where you get 30,000 MQM from the Reserve card) and you won't spend $15k on flights? Seems unlikely.
For those who live in geographically far places (like a Seattle) and/or fly internationally, it’s actually really easy to end up in this situation. Especially since fares in our market are actually competitive thanks to the presence of AS (and international competition at YVR).

if you’re stuck grinding out IND-DTW-FNT or something as a segment warrior, I get how this could seem crazy... but unless you’re always flying last minute business, an international traveler with a modicum or advance planning is going to hit MQM long, long before MQD in the seattle market.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: Delta PM MM. Marriott LTP. Hilton Gold
I have flown a decent amount this year and used PWM on three itineraries when cheap flights to Europe were available from all over the country. This will be my first year with Diamond and will be my final year unless something in my career changes.

On that, Platinum has treated my well since 2013. I fly none frequent routes at weird times. My upgrades are near 90% this year when I avoid ATL and they only fall to roughly 75% when connecting in ATL. Of those 12 flights with the opportunity for upgrade where I sat in economy, I finished #1 for 0 eight times. I will shoot for Platinum from now on and won't be afraid to fly PE from LAX on China Airlines because Diamond is now out of the question.

In case my stats don't post:
MQMs: 109,352
MQSs: 63
MQDs: $6,907
Card Spend: $25K
Attached Images  
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:19 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by RobertS975
One of the original features of Skyteam was that your miles accumulated by flying DL or a partner. Now it doesn't count unless you're buying 006 ticket stock.
Huh....???

You will generally earn MORE DL EQDs if you fly a on a partner’s ticket stock—at least for international flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.