Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
So if you want to be DM, you now have to earn it. This has to hurt big-time for many.

The waiver should eliminated altogether instead of the ridiculous increase. We're not that stupid. If you don't want anyone qualifying on card spending, which you made clear with the change, just eliminate the option and spare us the insult.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:42 am

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
There were different versions:

Dear Mr. Ginkowski,

Thank you for being a Platinum Medallion® Member and for your continued loyalty. We are always looking for ways to improve the Medallion experience by listening to your feedback. Because we want to ensure our most well-traveled Members can take full advantage of all their benefits, a change is being made to how Members qualify for 2019 Diamond Medallion Status. As a current Platinum Medallion Member, this change will not impact how you earn Platinum Medallion Status.
Spacer
As a Credit Card Member, we want you to be aware that starting January 1st, 2018, the Medallion Qualification Dollar (MQD) Waiver for Diamond Medallion Status is increasing. The MQD Waiver for Diamond is currently earned by spending $25,000 in eligible purchases in a calendar year on a SkyMiles® Credit Card with American Express. It is being adjusted to $250,000 in a calendar year. Keep in mind, the MQD Waiver to qualify for all of the best-in-class benefits of Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion Status will still remain at $25,000.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:43 am

Yeah, only worth getting a credit card or 2 for MQM bonus, no need for all 4 now since I wont get to DM anyway in 2019. And can just keep the AMEX Platinum for Skyclub and PP lounge and centurion access.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
You're right, I don't know that. But there will certainly be less DM's in 2019 and that will make for a better experience boarding in Zone PREM, a better experience in the Sky Club, and better chances for upgrades for higher spenders. I'm reading this forum looking at what some DMs have spent with Delta for 125,000 MQMs and it irritates me that I've spent FAR more on average in the last few years and only made PM. All those "Dollar Store Diamonds" won't necessarily be ahead on the upgrade lists in 2019, and that's a good thing in my mind.
"Dollar Store Diamonds", love it

It's very true, though. A significant amount of people would just manufacture spend for 25k.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Hahahaha
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:45 am

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Why? They are more valuable...and in 2019 will be demonstrably more-valuable.
The original intent was to provide additional benefits for an ultra-elite tier. DM really wasn't very "ultra" elite. Remember that mergers swelled the ranks, too.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Platinum AMEX (8 years as a customer) cancelled - felt good; decision was easy
skofarrell likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
I will be among the newly hatched Cubic Zirconium Medallions... A PM from 2000 through 2010, then a Diamond ever since. Always use the waiver since that has been in effect.

Time to burn my miles and worry less about earning them.

A really bad miss on this one, Delta!
skofarrell likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: DL DM
This has always been to a pay to play industry. Glad to hear this!!
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
As a chronic PM who holds a DL Reserve and DL Plat Amex and regularly buys enough short-haul HQK tickets to meet DM MQD requirements without getting anywhere close to the MQM:
- I LOL'd when I saw the email from DL, knowing exactly what FT would be saying.
- I look forward to marginally better UG chances in 2019, as many DMs will either drop to PM or leave the program (if people here actually do what they say they will).
- I will make no change to my Amex strategy: Spend $60k on the DL Reserve for MilesBoosts, spend $0 on the DL Plat because I don't want/need more miles than that, enjoy the companion certs from both each year.

But this thread is entertaining for sure.
BamaGirl likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
You're right, I don't know that. But there will certainly be less DM's in 2019 and that will make for a better experience boarding in Zone PREM, a better experience in the Sky Club, and better chances for upgrades for higher spenders. I'm reading this forum looking at what some DMs have spent with Delta for 125,000 MQMs and it irritates me that I've spent FAR more on average in the last few years and only made PM. All those "Dollar Store Diamonds" won't necessarily be ahead on the upgrade lists in 2019, and that's a good thing in my mind.
^
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$250K wow! I guess it is better than no possible waiver as initially rumored. I don't see too many who cannot make $15K MQD but can spend $250K on DL Amex.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL MM, UA Global Services, AA Platinum
Maybe this is just me, but...I suppose I feel a little bit like a weirdo outsider for only ever getting DM based on the MQD requirement and not the waiver.

Zero judgment, of course, just sort of an eye-opening thread here for me. Now I'm curious about seeing how these changes will feel on the ground and in the air.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Would LOVE to be wrong on this one - sadly I am not.

There is limited time to make voices known or this will become the new policy.
Renes is too polite to say, "See, I told you so!"

He said he'd rather be proven wrong, but he wasn't.

It was a bold prediction when he said it, and Renes took a lot of negative comments on FT about it.
calrick and hi55us like this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by audidudi
Is the $250K spending on a single AmEx card, or if one has two or more cards, then it's the cumulative spending of $250K?
So far it's been total spend on all (eligible) DL AmEx credit cards.

I wonder whether the DL-AmEx contract said that DL would continue to grant MQD waivers for FO, GM, PM, and DM without specifying the amount or whether there was some analytic work suggesting that what AmEx loses from those who cancel cards or shift spending will be offset by people spending more on DL AmEx cards in order to hit the $250,000? The latter would be a small group of people unless a fair number decide to start doing MS to a huge extent (and risk having their AmEx accounts closed).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.