Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by ErikMpls
In his example, he did place some value on the first class companion ticket so was happy to have gotten $400 to keep the card. I don't know if he was expected to spend a minimum threshold for that or not.
I have the Platinum so $195. Not really worth it for the companion fare as I have yet to even use it. I only had the card to get the waiver so it's now useless to me. There are cards with much much better ROI out there.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by marcworld
huh? what is "KE"?
KE = Korean Airlines, based in Seoul (South Korea). It's a founding SkyTeam member.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm guessing that DL/AmEx wanted to set the requirement large enough to be virtually impossible to attain through MS.
If that was their goal, they will succeed mightily! My biggest issue will be putting the pen to paper (or excel) and deciding how I want to allocate business spend next year. If most everyone who was DM on card spend cancels or downgrades their reserve card- wouldn't PM w/reserve card be the new bar for the person on the bubble?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: DL MM DM
This is awful. Yes, based on past years I did meet the MQD requirements, but having the card waiver was a good hedge for fluctuations in my travel patterns. With that gone (and consistently carrying a balance of 300K+ MQMs) there is no reason to keep the card. Regular Amex Platinum is definitely the way to go from now on. Not happy at all with all the "improvements" we've seen over the past years....
bekachan likes this.

Originally Posted by Worldtraveler727
I'd be interested to know how big of a problem this really is. How many people are able to fly 125k miles for less than $15k? They should get diamond as a consolation prize as that would be miserable.
My wife and I do this every year, and it isn't nearly as bad as you think. Two transpac trips and a few transatl trips make up a lot of miles for very few dollars - often 5-10cpm. Use your DIAMOND-earned Global upgrades for the transpacs (get them on standby almost every time) and it really isn't bad at all. Oh, and as Diamond you get free upgrade to C+ for international flights.
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by bergamini
Ouch. Didn't Rene's Points say changing the Diamond waiver was happening earlier this summer and a few users mocked him for it? I hope they apologize now.
Never gonna happen. Ever. Quick to attack - never say you were right and I am sorry!
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: DL PM, HY-PL, National-Executive Elite, Hilton - Gold, Marriot-Gold, IGH-Gold
Well, I'll brace for the hammers that will be thrown my way but I am not all that disappointed with this change. I think the number is crazy high, but I do think an increase was merited. I've been a DM for a few years before changing jobs and traveling far less. Then two years at PM and one at GM. I am PM for the 2018 program year now having started traveling again.

I can understand a company wanting to reserve the top most level of loyalty rewards for those who are their best customers of their core product. PM offers some pretty great rewards and quality of life enhancements on its own. (SDC, C+ after booking Y, etc) Is it a bummer, sure, but hey, If I actually spent the butt in seat time on the plane, and spent the $15,000+ in tickets, I would think I've earned it too.

::ducks::
yohanson likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: DL DM
The email message seems to confirm they did the math on what the DM population would have been in 2016 and in 2017 to date with essentially no waiver. Would love to know that number!

I've not needed the waiver yet for DM/PM, but I liked always knowing that if I had a quiet year I could still re-qualify as DM between the waiver and my stash of roll over MQMs. My reserve card still has some use to ensure I don't drop below PM / lose Skyclub access.

As a data point I spend a tad more than $145k combined on my personal Reserve, biz Reserve, and personal Plat card yearly (not much value in those cards once the bonuses end). I'll probably cancel the platinum card. I get good use out of the reserve cards companion certs booking A fares.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: DL GM SPG National Emerald
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
So can you still get DM by putting $100K on a Delta Corporate Jet card account? That's $150K less than the new AmEx spending waiver. (Not that I have $100K sitting around to do that but it did make me wonder).
Those cards are not "credit cards" though, they are for use only on Delta Jet service.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
So can you still get DM by putting $100K on a Delta Corporate Jet card account? That's $150K less than the new AmEx spending waiver. (Not that I have $100K sitting around to do that but it did make me wonder).
Not picking on you here, but there have been a lot of comments like this one, and also folks saying "I'm cancelling my Amex".

The $250k spend does not have to be on airline tickets. It can be on anything from groceries to car repairs to paying property taxes to everyday business expenses for clients. So comparing it to a DPJ card is misleading.

Regarding cancelling the DL Amex, it still provides RDM and MQM bonuses, so there may still be value to many people, although the bonuses are not unlimited.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kitkat77
I have the Platinum so $195. Not really worth it for the companion fare as I have yet to even use it. I only had the card to get the waiver so it's now useless to me. There are cards with much much better ROI out there.
Also, there are cards without significantly greater annual fees that have much better customer service, including the regular Plat charge card (an in house competitor to the Reserve card) that seems to have better benefits too.

IME most Reserve card calls now are outsourced overseas and this wasn't happening noticeably until very recently.

Originally Posted by NoUseForAName
Those cards are not "credit cards" though, they are for use only on Delta Jet service.
IIRC the funds can be used to purchase any DL ticket for scheduled commercial flights too.

Originally Posted by gt5889a
The email message seems to confirm they did the math on what the DM population would have been in 2016 and in 2017 to date with essentially no waiver. Would love to know that number!

I've not needed the waiver yet for DM/PM, but I liked always knowing that if I had a quiet year I could still re-qualify as DM between the waiver and my stash of roll over MQMs. My reserve card still has some use to ensure I don't drop below PM / lose Skyclub access.

As a data point I spend a tad more than $145k combined on my personal Reserve, biz Reserve, and personal Plat card yearly (not much value in those cards once the bonuses end). I'll probably cancel the platinum card. I get good use out of the reserve cards companion certs booking A fares.
I feel the same way. I've been DM every year and never yet needed either the waiver or rollover, but I liked having them as insurance just in case.

Last edited by Canarsie; Sep 26, 2017 at 12:13 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Typical DL opaque/intentionally obtuse move; they might as well have just eliminated the waiver like UA did for 1K.

That said, as a "steady" PM, this will probably incrementally improve my upgrade chances if just one or two former DMs on my same flights with the same low-ish fare buckets as me are now PMs. This is especially true if they drop their Reserve cards. I think many of us have been Bubble Boy/Girl enough to know that a small incremental change can make the difference.
sweeper20 and mridley2 like this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:08 am

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
So I have been mulling over this and getting text messages from a lot of other folks I know who fly DL and know I'm one of those crazy idiots who lives in a hub city for another airline but flies DL.

This was a huge service design failure on the part of DL and could have been handled so much better. If there really wanted to thin the herd then they should have just eliminated the spend waiver all together as opposed to insulting everyone's intelligence like this. Then they could have quietly culled their data and privately waived the MQD spend for those using their card over $250K annually or just tossed them an invite to DL360. Instead, they set a ridiculous target and pissed most people off in the process.

Not your brightest move, DL.
This sums it up well. The original intent of DM was to create an ultra-elite tier but they strayed away from that and us PM folks felt devalued along the way, too.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: Blinged Out
Dear SeaHawg-

Thank you for being a Diamond Medallion Member and for your continued loyalty. We are always looking for ways to improve the Medallion experience by listening to feedback. Because we want to ensure our most well-traveled Members can take full advantage of all the benefits of Diamond, a change is being made to how you qualify for 2019 Diamond Medallion Status.

As a Credit Card Member, we want you to be aware that starting January 1st, 2018, the Medallion Qualification Dollar (MQD) Waiver for Diamond Medallion Status is increasing. The MQD Waiver for Diamond Medallion Status is currently earned by spending $25,000 in eligible purchases in a calendar year on a SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express. It is being adjusted to $250,000 in a calendar year.

We understand this is a significant increase, but wanted you to know that the MQD Waiver to qualify for all of the best-in-class benefits of Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion Status will still remain at $25,000.

This update will not change how you earn 2018 Diamond Medallion Status.
We are very grateful for your loyalty and many travels with us.
We look forward to seeing and serving you soon.

Sandeep Dube, Vice President,
Customer Engagement & Loyalty

My email...
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm just struggling to understand how those of us who are regular travelers lose here. Most coach trips for Mon>Fri or Sun>Thur travel from the main airports by home (MSN, MKE, ORD & MDW) are always $500+, no matter where you go and often how far in advance you fly. It takes me 35 flights to get to 105K MQM plus the 20K Plat Amex waiver for $50K spend = 125K MQM. That's $17,500 in MQD assuming 3K MQM's per $500 trip. I can see some international travelers losing out if you are getting 20K MQD for $800-900 but for the weekly road warrior, it doesn't seem to affect us much.

If you are getting to 125K MQM with < $15K MQD then I have to think you understand that as a customer there is less value to the corporation than someone who is. It is only fair to honor those who make the spend. Being PM (I am right now) is still quite nice.

At the end of the day, it is moving more and more towards a revenue recognition program and as someone who works in analytics, I can tell you that honoring your most profitable customers has historically been a smart decision. If I get to 125K MQM with < $15K MQD, I just don't think I'm very profitable to DL and am expecting them to treat me as such.
ATLCDG, TommyD2, ULDB65 and 3 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.