Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by GatorBlues
Based on the stock analyst's comments on the video, Delta's reliance on credit card users is even greater than I thought:

"Roughly fifty to sixty percent of Delta's earnings . . . comes from selling miles to credit card companies."

Maybe there aren't enough people hitting their $60,000 spend thresholds on their Delta cards for this change to make a dent in this profit derived from Amex. Nonetheless, I don't think Amex is going to be pleased about some of its best cardholders canceling their $450 per year cards and taking their six figure spending elsewhere.
I knew it was a BIG number but that just shocked me!

Originally Posted by Love_Travel
Revenue generated because of credit card spending can be rewarded with free tickets and sky miles. NOT MQM or Status. If you fly, you get the MQM. If you don't, then you don't. As simple as that. One need to have just basic business sense to understand this.
The only reason I spend one penny on any of my Delta co-branded cards is for MQMs and MQD exempt spending. I am sure I am not the only one.

SkyMiles are simply a byproduct of earning MQMs. I could earn ZERO SkyMiles and I would still spend for MQMs.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Great News. Too many DMs who don't Fly lot, but earn MQM via credit cards crowding business class.
Restricting DM to only those who spend money on delta tickets is a great move

Why should Delta give DM status to those who don't fly delta? There is a reason this program is a frequent flyer program. Not a frequent spender program
Fake news. People who don't fly or only earn status aren't crowding business-class, unless they're paying for a business-class ticket, redeeming a global upgrade certificate, or redeeming miles.

Your beef should be with Delta non-revenue passengers crowding business-class or, better yet, Delta's shadyness with award redemption and constant devaluation of miles.

Who the heck cares if you fly 200,000-butt-in-seat miles at premium prices when the reason behind a frequent flyer program -- redeeming miles -- is worthless.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
I don't have a delta credit card. I like chase better.
You know there's not a one credit card issuer per person rule, right?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by SamOF
You know there's not a one credit card issuer per person rule, right?
Nobody tell my wife this!
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Renes Points
...The only reason I spend one penny on any of my Delta co-branded cards is for MQMs and MQD exempt spending. I am sure I am not the only one.

SkyMiles are simply a byproduct of earning MQMs. I could earn ZERO SkyMiles and I would still spend for MQMs.
You aren't the only one!

Bruce
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Revenue generated because of credit card spending can be rewarded with free tickets and sky miles. NOT MQM or Status. If you fly, you get the MQM. If you don't, then you don't. As simple as that. One need to have just basic business sense to understand this.
So what if you fly a partner and get a MQD 'bonus' because it's distance based? Does not that 'count' in your world? Or some fares earn an MQM bonus and it's not even a premium cabin fare and it's CHEAPER than flying on DL Metal. Does that not 'count'?

Basic business?

You realize someone could spend MORE on a credit card and more money ends up with Delta than spending on actual tickets? Look at the details in this thread about how much the program/credit card racks up.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
To you folks who are grousing about the credit card spend waiver inflating the elite ranks... do you similarly post in protest in the "I have a question about my DL status challenge" threads?

(Yes... I know that DL does not do DM status challenges... but the underlying principle remains.)
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
To you folks who are grousing about the credit card spend waiver inflating the elite ranks... do you similarly post in protest in the "I have a question about my DL status challenge" threads?

(Yes... I know that DL does not do DM status challenges... but the underlying principle remains.)
Or there was a thread one time where someone was complaining about it being unfair to people that earned status all BIS on Delta that others could earn status through Am Ex spend MQM's but I remember that poster mention in the Hilton thread sometime earlier he earned diamond status at Hilton through $40K spend on a Hilton Visa Apparently it's ok to compete for upgrades at Hilton against people who earn that status BIB but they don't like competiting for upgrades against people who don't earn status BIS

Similar with the Am Ex cardholders complaining about the influx of Chase Sapphire Priority Pass customers taking up a lot of room in a couple of the lounges and overcrowding them. They have issues with that but I'm sure they have no issues using their Am Ex cards to enter the Skyclub crowding the Skyclubs for members who have actual memberships

And speaking of status matches if Delta wants to thin the herds so bad then why are they giving out status matches? And why give MQD on partner purchases?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
And speaking of status matches if Delta wants to thin the herds so bad then why are they giving out status matches? And why give MQD on partner purchases?
...because Delta loves their partners....

no wait, they hate their partners......

well they like their partners they own 49% of and put them in group 1

....it really is confusing just who Delta loves isn't it?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
It costs travelers who fly often. It make no sense to award flying status to those who don't fly..
But it's just not Delta. The whole travel industry seems to be going that way.

I have status with Hertz and another car rental company I never use. One is through a credit card and I have presidents club at Hertz through a professional association membership.

Hilton gives you Diamond status with just $40K spend on their card.

I think a fair system would be to do like Hyatt and American does and give partial credit. American gives you credit for half your MQD's or whatever they call it with a large credit card spend. Delta should cut your MQD requirement in half (for all levels for all levels for a certain spend and raise the spend from $25K to $50K).

Same with Hilton. Instead of just giving status out they should do what Hyatt does and after $40K spend on the credit card give xxx nights towards diamond status.

It still requires you to use the travel partner but is giving you a substantial benefit for a large spend but the weekly flyer or weekly hotel guest won't compete for upgrades again the person that flies every other month or stays in a hotel every other month.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm also one of those. Even with Delta purchases at 2 SkyMiles/$, once I have the MQM spend in on all my cards I don't even charge my Delta tickets to the Delta Am Ex since the CSR 4.5 cents/$1 is more rewarding to me than 2 skymiles/$1.

It would be interesting to know what percent of Delta Am Ex Platinum and Reserve card holders max out the MQM's. I'm willing to be bet it the majority on the Platinum since the card doesn't provide any other real benefits over the Delta gold outside of the companion ticket which used to be worthless to me (but is more valuable now that they are eligible for upgrades). I know the reserve provides a lot of other benefits, and I'll probably hold on to one reserve card if this goes through for those benefits. The Skyclub access will be nice since it's no longer going to be a Diamond benefit is great for people who aren't diamonds but fly Delta a lot and the companion ticket on that can be valuable since you can use it on a FCM fare.

Someone in my office who isn't diamond and I were talking about this yesterday and she is worried that if they do this to diamonds will they do this to Platinum members next year (she is PM) or due to all the new PM's will they raise the MQM level to thin the herds there or start doing what American does and use MQD spend for tiebreakers.

I remember you used to get bonus Delta miles in certain categories on Am Ex spend (I think grocery stores and Phone charges were two of them but I may be thinking of the Hilton Am Ex). Maybe Am Ex will start doing bonus categories again if they lose too much spend.

Based on my conversations with people at Am Ex and seeing the posts here about Am Ex conversations either Am Ex was never advised of the changes or their high top brass is keeping totally quiet or is really good at playing dumb
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:59 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Tomphot
Ummm not sure your getting it - what are you loosing from folks who don't fly as much as you? Since they don't fly as much, they don't compete with you for upgrades.
This is wrong, because you're looking at individuals and ignoring the aggregate.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus
How difficult is this to understand?

Form Delta website:

"Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs): earned based on distance flown."

Not based on how much I spend on credit Card

I knew it was a BIG number but that just shocked me!

The only reason I spend one penny on any of my Delta co-branded cards is for MQMs and MQD exempt spending. I am sure I am not the only one.

Attached Images  
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Apparently....very.

<too lazy insert screenshot of Amex page displaying DL Plat/Reserve MilesBoost benefits>

Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:59 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card

Form Delta website:

"Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs): earned based on distance flown."

Not based on how much I spend on credit Card
ok? If you only want to earn MQMs via butt-in-seat miles, that's totally up to you. Not sure what the problem is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.