Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sky_priority

So you did not get a waiver and those individuals did. Evidently DL values them more than you and may or may not have reason to do so, or you are sufficiently loyal to be willing to take financial losses to buy DL’s soft products. Have you ever bought popcorn at a movie theater? Are you going to complain that the person who bought essentially the same product at a grocery store for 10x less is unfairly gaming the system or not playing by the rules? Market forces are not uniform across the population.

If you are worried about losing personal funds because of how other pax are treated, I’d suggest you pay for what you want instead of conniving to spend a few extra dollars for chance upgrades at an undetermined later date.
"conniving"? Because I followed the rules. I see. I'm not "worried about losing personal funds", I think it's inequitable to publish rules without publishing the one time waiver criteria. It's much more equitable when everyone knows the criteria and can choose how to spend their travel dollars based upon them. Is the popcorn at the grocery store hot, doused with delicious fake butter, bottomless if you buy the big bucket and available to me when I'm in my recliner theater seat watching "Crazy Rich Asians"? If not, it's not the same product nor do the same "market forces" apply.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
Wow, the snark factor on here shot up fast.

Of course not everyone is "elite" - the word, by definition, separates some from others.

But who cares?
​​​​​​
i just want to sit in first class without paying for it and only a limited number of people are going to be able to do that.

If the plane were "all first", nobody would be elite but everyone would be comfortable. (Of course people would still find a way to separate the better first seats from the poorer ones, but I'm after comfort not a fake feeling of importance.)
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
This DM and his husband are *always* on LUTXV fares from NYC. And in recent history, we have either been upgraded at the window or have been #1/2 on the list. This includes JFK-West Coast with Delta One.

I'm always surprised I'm that high on the list.
I can't remember ever being #1 on the D1 TCONs except when they did that weird thing where DMs could call in and ask to be "activated" on the list (and hardly anyone knew that was a thing). I once bought a relatively last minute fare (booked into Q) and I was still #2 on the list. Most recently with RUCs waitlisted I was #6 and #4.

Originally Posted by rogo
The discussion included "a mix of Y and J". Anyone paying J at all frequently is "nicely profitable" for Delta.
I don't think paying J automatically makes you profitable, given that you take up 3-4 times as much space on the plane as a Y seat. Many cheaper Z fares are probably breakeven at best, accounting for fuel costs and the investment in the seat, etc.

If you really need to feel "profitable", you should probably be buying Premium Economy fares, which apparently have quite the price premium relative to the increased space and amenities.

I'm going to, however, exit this discussion here. It seems no one can be rational about this conversation beyond their own narrow interest.

Everyone who thinks the new waiver is good is right.
Everything who thinks the new waiver is awful is right.
I don't really care one way or another on the waiver, and I have no interest in whether or not I or other passengers are "profitable". I'm slightly interested in the airline overall being profitable, only to the extent that it keeps it in business. That seems a pretty rational position to take.

Originally Posted by bergamini
They key is not to apply too much love, hate or judgement to any decision a large corporation makes..
+1.

Originally Posted by TheHorta
Having flown Concorde on both AF and BA in the late 80’s and early 90’s
My one aviation regret was not buying the Concorde sale fares right before service stopped. They were expensive relative to my income at the time, but would have been "affordable" as a splurge.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:35 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I’m holding out for Horta Medallion.

HM makes KM look like a passenger bus in Calcutta.

And yeah, the brag tag will be made out of Pergium.
What are the criteria for Horta360?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Well, I was a 20-something punk with a few bucks in his pocket and no idea how to handle even the most modest amount of success — but that’s a story for another time.

Overall, the cabin was so small (and rarely full) that everyone that boarded felt special. The QoS was so amazing that I was spoiled early in life with what was possible for a commercial flight. The FAs pegged me immediately as someone who wasn’t part of the REAL Jet-Set — and treated me like royalty. There were many onboard who took that flight twice per WEEK! In the event that doesn’t register, that’s ~$20K in spend per WEEK, or approaching $1MM annually (and we think 360 is a big deal).

In fact, I spoke with a gentleman who was a weekly Concordian who had the option to fly private and preferred Concorde because it saved him over four hours per week.

That struck me as amazing that there are people out there whose time is so valuable that the value of recovering 4 hours in a week exceeds the benefits of private air travel.
In comparing prices of Concorde versus private jet, remember that this was before onboard internet. Moreover, although there would have been onboard phones (remember when those were located in FC armrests, in the days before cell phones?) for at least part of the Concorde era, I'm not sure that they would have worked over oceans. So for many executives, it would have been four additional hours of wasted time in terms of business and perhaps more importantly in some jobs, four additional hours of being incommunicado.

I don't know what private jets would have cost then, but a ten hour one way trip in a suitable private aircraft for a TATL trip surely would not have been cheap, although with no TPAC Concorde service, the private jet option might have been the only possible choice for certain trips to/from Asia.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by Zorak
What are the criteria for Horta360?
Well... that’s a secret, but I will say it involves a Starship.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;

Well... everyone can FEEL “elite” for a few hours by paying $20,000 for a round trip ticket.

Not sure if that supports your philosophy.
Delta tried to sell me one of those last year for a D1 multi-city Asia trip. I broke it into two tickets for less than $10K.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:01 pm

Asked for Waiver last week it showed up today for me.
Spend was @230k?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
At long last (yeah, I hate waiting) my Delta Amex spend has updated on Delta.com for 2019 showing crossed 25k spend and on the raw data link showing total spend of over 30k!

(can't find old flyertalk thread on the raw data link so here it is: https://www.delta.com/acctactvty/get...kerData.action )
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond

Well... that’s a secret, but I will say it involves a Starship.
Did need to be equip with warp drive ?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:59 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Renes Points
At long last (yeah, I hate waiting) my Delta Amex spend has updated on Delta.com for 2019 showing crossed 25k spend and on the raw data link showing total spend of over 30k!

(can't find old flyertalk thread on the raw data link so here it is: https://www.delta.com/acctactvty/get...kerData.action )
thanks for the update
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by marcworld
Yes I know that.

Point is, I'm wondering exactly what kind of travelers these demoted 20k people are.

Are they flying a ton but buying cheap tickets LUXV?
That describes me, anyway.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by sethb
That describes me, anyway.
Same here - to an extent. I do a lot of JFK-SFO and JFK-LAX in coach for work. Those flights usually net me in the $400s for MQD; and sometimes even less. MQMs are around 5,000 R/T for either route. So it is easy for me to see how someone could get to over 125k MQM by pure flying without reaching 15k MQD.

In my case, I’ve also been doing a fair amount of international J and paid domestic F for personal travel lately, so reaching the MQD threshold has been no problem for me. Were my circumstances different, however, I could easily see myself in the >125k MQM < 15k MQD camp.

Also, let’s not forget a lot of people have a ton of rollover MQM banked. I’m at 144k, and I know I’m minor league material around here (at best).
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by Renes Points

Good to hear! I'm still waiting for mine to show up. I called both Delta and Amex, but their call center staff really didn't know why things weren't updating.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by DCAhome
Good to hear! I'm still waiting for mine to show up. I called both Delta and Amex, but their call center staff really didn't know why things weren't updating.
FWIW, mine partially updated this morning. Yesterday it was still showing $0, this morning it shows 3-4K, spend through last week was 5-6K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.