Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
File this under "Things Delta has done badly", and I'm normally not a big whiner. But you have those of us who increased spend with personal funds to hit $15K who are mad that waivers were granted for those who didn't, you have those who don't know about the waiver ever existing but are disappointed to no longer be DM despite meeting prior year requirements and then you have those who know about the waiver but didn't request it before they pulled it who have to be ticked that others with possibly less strong portfolios of loyalty to DL did get. Bungled. Bigly.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: DL DM
Is it me or does it seem like Delta must have listened to feedback and noticing that a lot of frequent flyer members were receiving waivers, and that's why they pulled the plug? They seemed to be very lenient there while it was still a thing.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by pulpfiction78
Is it me or does it seem like Delta must have listened to feedback and noticing that a lot of frequent flyer members were receiving waivers, and that's why they pulled the plug? They seemed to be very lenient there while it was still a thing.
I am still getting reader feedback on granting wavers. It is very YMMV however.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by jboylan
Requested a waiver by email Dec. 14, denied Dec 20. Also tried calling in and was also denied.

Stats:
MQM: 205k
MQS: 25
MQD: 14k
Delta CC spend: $61k

The email from Delta read:
How does one get 205K MQM with only $14K MQD?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by vtgambler
I've got ~207k MQMs with $7k MQDs

But, AMEX CC spend on Platinum and/or Reserve cards and rollover miles will do the trick....

Last edited by jmgriffin; Dec 20, 2018 at 3:07 pm
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat
I thought you could only get MQMs from one Amex. I have the personal Reserve card. If I added a business Platinum or Reserve can I collect MQMs from those also?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought you could only get MQMs from one Amex. I have the personal Reserve card. If I added a business Platinum or Reserve can I collect MQMs from those also?
Yes, you can.

But for the truly large disparity between MQMs and MQDs, you need lots of rollover miles.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
The max you can get in a year is:
  • 2 x 10k = 20k for Platinum Personal
  • 2 x 10k = 20k for Platinum Business
  • 2 x 15k = 30k for Reserve Personal
  • 2 x 15k = 30k for Reserve Business
= 100k MQMs from Credit Cards, not to mention any sign-up bonus MQMs. If you have a spouse or friend with one of those cards they can gift their MQMs to you to make it even more.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Last I heard, you could get MQMs from all four.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL exDM MM
Originally Posted by bergamini
File this under "Things Delta has done badly", and I'm normally not a big whiner. But you have those of us who increased spend with personal funds to hit $15K who are mad that waivers were granted for those who didn't, you have those who don't know about the waiver ever existing but are disappointed to no longer be DM despite meeting prior year requirements and then you have those who know about the waiver but didn't request it before they pulled it who have to be ticked that others with possibly less strong portfolios of loyalty to DL did get. Bungled. Bigly.
This decision has massively influenced not only my credit card spending but also my flying strategy. For several years I spent $150,000-plus on my Delta AX Reserve cards. Easily made DM. I moved my spend to my Chase Sapphire card and I now use all of those points to buy FC tickets. Sometimes on Delta but now I am a free agent and look at others. Both Delta and AX have lost most of my business. Sad. I have had an AX card since 1976 and put nearly all of my air travel on Delta since 1999, Twenty years of loyalty.to Delta and forty years of loyalty to AX. Over.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by captiveguru
This decision has massively influenced not only my credit card spending but also my flying strategy. For several years I spent $150,000-plus on my Delta AX Reserve cards. Easily made DM. I moved my spend to my Chase Sapphire card and I now use all of those points to buy FC tickets. Sometimes on Delta but now I am a free agent and look at others. Both Delta and AX have lost most of my business. Sad. I have had an AX card since 1976 and put nearly all of my air travel on Delta since 1999, Twenty years of loyalty.to Delta and forty years of loyalty to AX. Over.
It truly is “one man’s trash is another man’s treasure.”

I’m glad they made the move they did. I view it as DL being *more* “loyal” to their actual flyers.

Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: Delta DM, United 1K, Bonvoy Plat Elite, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC, Nat'l Executive Elite
Rollover and CC spend bonuses.

As an update, I appealed yesterday 12/20 to Delta's twitter to point out the issues with inconsistently granting waivers. They said they would forward to SkyMiles Service Leadership Team, and about four hours later came back to say they'd grant the waiver (stressing it was one time), and MQD is now showing as checked.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:27 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by jmgriffin
The max you can get in a year is:
  • 2 x 10k = 20k for Platinum Personal
  • 2 x 10k = 20k for Platinum Business
  • 2 x 15k = 30k for Reserve Personal
  • 2 x 15k = 30k for Reserve Business
= 100k MQMs from Credit Cards, not to mention any sign-up bonus MQMs. If you have a spouse or friend with one of those cards they can gift their MQMs to you to make it even more.
Also, some people got a targeted offer for a third 15k boost from the reserve card. I don't think I heard of anyone getting the 3rd boost on both a personal and a business reserve but it might have happened.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pvn
Also, some people got a targeted offer for a third 15k boost from the reserve card. I don't think I heard of anyone getting the 3rd boost on both a personal and a business reserve but it might have happened.
And some got the third boost offer on the Plat Amex as well.

TheHorta likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by jboylan
Rollover and CC spend bonuses.

As an update, I appealed yesterday 12/20 to Delta's twitter to point out the issues with inconsistently granting waivers. They said they would forward to SkyMiles Service Leadership Team, and about four hours later came back to say they'd grant the waiver (stressing it was one time), and MQD is now showing as checked.
And I will make sure to let DL know how this pi**es me off that I played by the rules and increased spend to reach MQD and the inconsistency in their actual rules.

What's ironic is I actually was more profitable to them than you yet they were apparently more concerned with your perception of this than mine.
TheHorta likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.