Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

I’m one of them (I wrote snail-mail letters last year shortly after the announcement). I was told I’d be given a year “exemption” where if I meant the 125K MQMs and the $25K AmEx waiver I would be given DM. As it stands I’m not sure I’ll hit the 125K MQMs this year (I could mileage run but right now I’m leaning towards taking the rollover as after moving from SEA to TX, I expect shorter trips and many of them won’t be on DL so I’m leaning towards the rollover and an easier track to PM for 2020 as well as being able to bank some rollover for 2021 status).
Thanks! That's helpful. As it was an exemption for the first year they did it, I'm wondering if there are any additional recent data points over the last few months.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Can also shortcut the MQD qualification by flying with partners. I have $15K in MQD, but the actual out-of-pocket is around 1/3 of that.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:35 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I'm probably going to end the year at 20k MQD (and it's all DL spend, no partners this year) and possibly be short ~1k MQM. easy segment run but would be nice to get a MQM waiver if people are getting MQD waivers.
gooselee likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
I am sure it has been said before but as I approach retirement I have way too many MQMs and will not get enough MQDs to keep DM in retirement. It would be nice without the AMEX waiver that MQDs rolled over like MQMs. It will not happen but it would be nice.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hnewman
I am sure it has been said before but as I approach retirement I have way too many MQMs and will not get enough MQDs to keep DM in retirement. It would be nice without the AMEX waiver that MQDs rolled over like MQMs. It will not happen but it would be nice.
You wouldn't rather just keep Platinum 60% longer?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: Delta DM (3 MM) ; Sky Club (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Can also shortcut the MQD qualification by flying with partners. I have $15K in MQD, but the actual out-of-pocket is around 1/3 of that.
Interesting.
Could you please post an example of how this was/can be accomplished?
Thanks in advance.
hnewman likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by josephstern
You wouldn't rather just keep Platinum 60% longer?
4MM miles. I am good with Platinum until I hit the urn assuming DL does not change the rules.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by deltalirious
Interesting.
Thanks in advance.
Numerous blogs and such available (Rene’s Points blog has quite a few examples). You can also check the DL earning charts for partner flights (booked as the partner flight, not a partner operated, DL coded flight number). With the MQD earning being based off a percentage of the distance flown, yet cheap fares sometimes being available, one can earn great MQD to actual spend earnings especially if in a premium cabin earning MQDs for as much as 40% of distance flown.

Apparently there have been some great biz class sales on MU (China Eastern)
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: Delta DM (3 MM) ; Sky Club (Lifetime)
Thanks.
Much appreciated.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Interesting.
Thanks in advance.
Two trips with AM - earned about $8K in MQDs. Out-of-pocket = $1.5K

Two trips with KL - earned about $6K in MQDs. Out-of-pocket = $2.3K

All trips were in J, and MQDs were calculated using distance flown, at 40%.

Be on the look out for discounted fares with tier 1 DL partners.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Thanks.
Much appreciated.
Happy to help. DM me anytime. #HintHint
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Hertz PC, National EE, Bonvoy TE, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by MarkP24
Thanks! That's helpful. As it was an exemption for the first year they did it, I'm wondering if there are any additional recent data points over the last few months.
I sent mine in using the web page last Friday. Skymiles - Qualification. Yesterday they emailed me back saying the Skymiles Loyalty Team had granted me an exception for 2019.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Skystreak
I sent mine in using the web page last Friday. Skymiles - Qualification. Yesterday they emailed me back saying the Skymiles Loyalty Team had granted me an exception for 2019.
Wow!! Nice!
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Weird. I did the same the other day and was called to say nothing is offered at this time.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Weird. I did the same the other day and was called to say nothing is offered at this time.
Originally Posted by Skystreak
What was each of your MQM and MQD if I can ask?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.