Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Frankly, neither the $15K MQD or $250K waiver are difficult to meet for WAY too many people.

I’m sticking to my guns. I still wanna see a Double Diamond Medallion tier. $30K MQD and 250K MQM. $250K waiver or no, I’m cool with either.

Enough pussy-footin’ around, Delta.

Drain the swamp!
pulpfiction78 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheHorta
Frankly, neither the $15K MQD or $250K waiver are difficult to meet for WAY too many people.

I’m sticking to my guns. I still wanna see a Double Diamond Medallion tier. $30K MQD and 250K MQM. $250K waiver or no, I’m cool with either.

Enough pussy-footin’ around, Delta.

Drain the swamp!
$500k for the waiver with that.
ryandc99 and TheHorta like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
$500k for the waiver with that.
I’m with you, or eliminate the AX spend waiver altogether.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:15 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Diamond
Got a waiver with 129k MQMs, 5k MQDs and 50k AMEX, am a million miler, not sure if that helped. Called and was told they would look into it and 2 wks later my skymiles page showed I had qualified for next yr.
Renes Points likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:51 am

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
Originally Posted by DltaSchmlta
Got a waiver with 129k MQMs, 5k MQDs and 50k AMEX, am a million miler, not sure if that helped. Called and was told they would look into it and 2 wks later my skymiles page showed I had qualified for next yr.
Called who? The standard DM line?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by jmgriffin
Any recent experiences with getting the waiver for DM without $250k in spend? I'll be close to $250k but probably not quite there...
Many. But a few who were told NO flat out.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Many. But a few who were told NO flat out.
Is there data to back this up or just an assumption? I have searched this thread with very little reference to "NO" flat out. So you must be privy to some data the rest are not.
Renes Points likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: DL MM 3.2, DM; UAL; AAL
In what I consider to be a very unfair move, delta has allowed numerous people, according to blogs, to qualify for the DM level for next year using the Amex $25,000 spend rather than a $250,000 spend.

It’s NOT FAIR because we were all told that that policy had been changed... less than a year previous!
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by DLDMFLL
In what I consider to be a very unfair move, delta has allowed numerous people, according to blogs, to qualify for the DM level for next year using the Amex $25,000 spend rather than a $250,000 spend.

It’s NOT FAIR because we were all told that that policy had been changed... less than a year previous!
I would imagine that DL anticipated the $250K waiver fallout and setup a contingency plan to grandfather in customers they didn’t want to lose. I’d also bet that it’s primarily for the first year, and given only to the squeaky wheels.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by TheHorta

I would imagine that DL anticipated the $250K waiver fallout and setup a contingency plan to grandfather in customers they didn’t want to lose. I’d also bet that it’s primarily for the first year, and given only to the squeaky wheels.
Yeah, I dont think they will do that again next year. Interesting to note that since increasing the waiver to 250,000 delta has seen double digit growth to its amex revenue (If I am remembering correctly from the conference call). It seems like the increased waiver has caused a lot more amex spending than it lost while at the same time decreasing the number of diamond medallions. I know I for one spend about 100k more on my delta amex cards since this year to meet the requirement. I also obtained another reserve card, (so now I have 3).
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't wait for the Diamonds who lose status in early 2019 to drop out so I can always get my F upgrades to Hawaii! Gonna be insane!

(I'm kidding)
jamesteroh and TheHorta like this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 3MM, AMEX Delta Reserve, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Good on MQM's, but going to about $2K short of the $15K spend requirement, so I'll be heading back to Platinum status in February. Too bad that they don't include SkyBonus spending, which I have $40K of this year.

Last edited by EarlVolFan; Oct 25, 2018 at 2:20 pm Reason: spelling
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I'm going to finish 2018 with about 145,000 MQMs but nowhere near enough MQDs to maintain Diamond status. My AMEX spending will be about $100,000, so I satisfy the Platinum waiver but not the Diamond waiver. In 2019, I'll be Platinum in the absence of a one-time favor from Delta. With a one-time favor (as others apparently have received), I can remain Diamond. Which would be better for me? It's not an easy question to answer.

As Platinum, I would start 2019 with 70,000 rollover MQMs. My AMEX spending is always close to $100,000, so requalifying as Platinum is essentially guaranteed. And in a few more years, I'll be 4MM, which (under current rules, anyway) is lifetime Platinum. I would earn 9 RDMs per MQD, rather than 11, but that's minor.

If Delta were kind enough to allow me to remain Diamond for another year, I would start 2019 with 20,000 rollover MQMs and basically no chance at all of requalifying as Diamond. In fact, requalifying as Platinum would be at some risk -- not a lot, but not zero, either. I would earn 11 RDMs per MQD, but my flying isn't so much now that I care. I would be MUCH higher on upgrade lists, but lately I've been buying (discounted) F more and more, anyway. Best of all, I would get another set of Diamond choice benefits, which are truly valuable, but not as valuable as they might appear to be. GUCs are increasingly difficult to use, as I have discovered.

So, Flyertalk advisers, what do you think I should do? Should I willingly drop down to Platinum -- where I'm headed inevitably, for sure -- or seek a one-time Diamond waiver for 2019?

Bruce
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:13 pm

I think you should forego Diamond and stick with PM... especially if you fly out of HSV.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have to agree on the devaluation of GUCs.

When I first got them three or four years ago, I could book flights that would upgrade at booking. Recently, no way. Even calling and asking for help often generates nothing that works for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.