Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:44 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Dovster
Personally, I would prefer getting rid of MQMs completely and upping the spending to a minimum of $500,000 even for Silver (although not for foreign residents). Of course, there should be no change in the MQD waiver for those who do not live in the US and while MQMs would be gone, segments should become more valuable.

I suggest that each segment be worth one step up in status. Hence, if I fly TLV-FCO on Alitalia I would become Silver for my outbound flight and Gold for the return trip. If I throw in another trip TLV-CDG on Air France, I would be raised first to Platinum and then to Diamond.

(Diamonds, of course, should be entitled to automatic free upgrades on all flights, foreign and domestic, which would be available at time of booking.)
Or . . . .

When you tip a SkyClub bartender $50, you get Silver. $100 tip gets you Gold. $250 tip gets you Platinum, and, <a mere> $1000 tip gets you Diamond. If you tip with a Delta Amex, you get a 20% discount, of course.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by davetravels
Or . . . .

When you tip a SkyClub bartender $50, you get Silver. $100 tip gets you Gold. $250 tip gets you Platinum, and, <a mere> $1000 tip gets you Diamond. If you tip with a Delta Amex, you get a 20% discount, of course.
However, if you are a U.S. citizen residing in a foreign nation which has no SkyClub (like, for example, Israel) it would be sufficient for you to prove that you paid the above amounts in American income tax.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Dovster
However, if you are a U.S. citizen residing in a foreign nation which has no SkyClub (like, for example, Israel) it would be sufficient for you to prove that you paid the above amounts in American income tax.
Not really. In your case, you would hafto tip in Shekels . . . . . . .

. . . . . to your Mohel.

Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:19 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by EarlVolFan
That’s interesting. I guess you wouldn’t want the less frequent flyers to see how unreachable Diamond status is now.

tons of people manage to get it without the waiver
CalebMCO likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
I’ve never had a problem reaching 15,000 MQDs in the past, but I’m getting a little worried about this year because tickets have been so cheap. I’ve already booked travel for every week though April, mostly within the US but also 2x to Europe and 1x to LatAm, and upon completing all of that will only be at about 5,300 MQD. I’m in the odd position of hoping that ticket prices go up as the year progresses.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by acrophobia
I’ve never had a problem reaching 15,000 MQDs in the past, but I’m getting a little worried about this year because tickets have been so cheap. I’ve already booked travel for every week though April, mostly within the US but also 2x to Europe and 1x to LatAm, and upon completing all of that will only be at about 5,300 MQD. I’m in the odd position of hoping that ticket prices go up as the year progresses.
Have you considered partner flights on partner web sites for higher percentage distance based MQDs (based on fare class) to help you over the top?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by acrophobia
If you are buying economy class fares and really want to remain diamond have you thought about buying first class fares? That will help you get more MQDS, plus you will get the bonus MQM's and not have to play the upgrade game and will have more flexibility with SDC if you want on another flight
Old Feb 4, 2018, 3:19 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Have you considered partner flights on partner web sites for higher percentage distance based MQDs (based on fare class) to help you over the top?
This!!!! Especially from JFK.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
If you are buying economy class fares and really want to remain diamond have you thought about buying first class fares? That will help you get more MQDS, plus you will get the bonus MQM's and not have to play the upgrade game and will have more flexibility with SDC if you want on another flight
Yes I have, and will start doing that if it is still looking iffy mid-year. With a kid in private school and other sky-high living expenses, I’m trying to get by on the fares allowed by my expense policy, but what you suggested is definitely my “plan b.”
Old Feb 4, 2018, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
This!!!! Especially from JFK.
Thanks - that’s another thing I’ll start looking at if it is still looking iffy mid-year. Generally I prefer being on Delta marketed/ticketed flights because I generally have better experiences, but if it takes doing this a couple times to requify for Diamond, it is probably worth it.

MQMs will be no problem at all; I’ll probably be close to 125k by mid-April.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:30 pm

Seriously

So it's not that big of a deal to get DM, but ya you will have to spend some coin on amex and delta and sit your butt in a seat, but that's the reason they make it this way; to make you want DM and spend money.

So then, grab a cobranded amex/delta plat and reserve card. Spend 60k on the reserve and 50k on the plat and POW, you got a waiver to PM and 50 mqms. Then what? Fly like 50k with 50% upgrade mqms and POW your a DM.

So can everyone stop complaining about how hard it is to hit DM please? It's not hard if you spend and fly, that's the whole point .
Old Mar 4, 2018, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Ewsmith
So it's not that big of a deal to get DM, but ya you will have to spend some coin on amex and delta and sit your butt in a seat, but that's the reason they make it this way; to make you want DM and spend money.

So then, grab a cobranded amex/delta plat and reserve card. Spend 60k on the reserve and 50k on the plat and POW, you got a waiver to PM and 50 mqms. Then what? Fly like 50k with 50% upgrade mqms and POW your a DM.

So can everyone stop complaining about how hard it is to hit DM please? It's not hard if you spend and fly, that's the whole point .
This is a dumb plan. Someone who only flys 50k a year, buys the upgrade on all of those flights, and is spending $15k MQD (or whatever it is) across those 50k BIS miles a) won't see much meaningful benefit from DM and b) is likely better off spending less money to just fly premium cabins on whatever airline they'd like based on price/schedule/product.

DM is indeed harder to attain now, and while I actually think that's a good thing, these formulas for ways to arbitrarily get status just for the sake or status are silly.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 5:16 pm

Dumb if you are poor

Sure it's a dumb plan if your poor. If you want DM it costs, that's the whole point. If you don't have the money or travel miles to get it then quit crying delta is making it so hard. The reason it's delta's 2nd highest tier is because you need money to achieve it.

Get a second job and stop crying.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Ewsmith

You do realize that if you spend $60K on the Reserve and $50K on the Platinum, that's only $110K, still $140K short of the spend waiver required for DM, right? Otherwise you have to meet 15K in MQDs to get DM with that remaining 75K in MQMs. So no, not quite "POW, you're a DM" with your strategy.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
You do realize that if you spend $60K on the Reserve and $50K on the Platinum, that's only $110K, still $140K short of the spend waiver required for DM, right? Otherwise you have to meet 15K in MQDs to get DM with that remaining 75K in MQMs. So no, not quite "POW, you're a DM" with your strategy.
I was wondering the same thing - - if Ewsmith was misunderstanding something . . . . or if it was me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.