Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Another angle to this could be if it drives EOY MQM/MQD sales. That's got to be the most profitable product DL sells.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:07 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So this would severely impact me and my partner. I'd drop my DL AMEX since it wouldn't be needed anymore and focus really on Chase cards since they currently have the best value (Sapphire Reserve). With Marriott Visa vs SPG AMEX, if Marriott sticks with Chase, I'll be down to just the Hilton AMEX, which isn't really that good for me anyways.

I'd be PM likely and not DM, which is great for the GUCs.

Remember that AMEX stepped in to help DL when they were in bankruptcy with something like a $1B investment when they needed help.

I've emailed all the AMEX people (the email for Greg O'Hara bounced back btw). I'll email the Delta execs too. Though I suspect they'll just see me as one of the people that they are trying to exclude.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
removed

Last edited by kettle1; Jul 18, 2017 at 11:56 pm
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
$33K spent so far this year with only 115,XXX MQM. I don't own a Delta AMEX.

The waiver elimination would seem to benefit this PE.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: DL,EK
With my $300 for the CMB-LAS fare, I'll never qualify on dollars. I think most of my miles now come from Amex. Of course I am spending my own money since I am self-employed.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:14 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
This sucks!
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:15 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I want DM2018 and use amex

Originally Posted by Worldtraveler727
I'd be interested to know how big of a problem this really is. How many people are able to fly 125k miles for less than $15k? They should get diamond as a consolation prize as that would be miserable.
107kMDQ this year for 7.4k$ so far...
I have 2 more SNA-CLE trips (so that will only be another 700-1200) this year.
I am 20k into this year's AMEX spend. This will probably be the last year I go this way.

Most of my travel is for business, corporate policy is everyone goes lowest fare.

It is miserable.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by pvn
Well since you think you're scoring some clever points by being as hyperliterally nitty as possible, it's weird that you ignored the fact that my post talked about changes that benefit people plural, and chose to use an example that explicitly benefited a singular person.
Ok, so apparently you do agree that would be a devaluation. What if they gave this to two people? Three? A thousand? Where's the line where it goes from a devaluation to not a devaluation?

Last edited by javabytes; Jul 18, 2017 at 4:22 am
Old Jul 18, 2017, 5:20 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by AdamNP
I agree with you. I thought AA's elite program was far better than DL's before this, and now it is just more so. I matched DL because I have a Skyteam flight that will fulfill the challenge, so why not?

AA EXP upgrades are nearly constant, you can just select MCE, not wait for an "upgrade" to it, and OW Emerald gives you real and serious benefits, whereas ST Elite+, not so much. You can also use AA miles for longhaul J on partners for very reasonable amounts. I'm certainly not leaving AA anytime soon.

I just chimed in on this thread because I think it's actually a good move by Delta. Certainly terrible for AMEX though.
Nothing screams top-tier elite better than half the dated lounges across the network under construction that you cannot even access unless traveling on an international itinerary*, an elite telephone line with hour long hold times that can't even recognize your phone number, and upgrades that can't be used on their own airline because "sir, this is a British Airways codeshare flight"

*not including Canada, the Caribbean, Mexico (outside of Mexico City), and your grandmother's apartment
Old Jul 18, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by kettle1
This is great news for me. It is the best thing since Colonel Sanders came out with his "secret recipe" for fried chicken. Kettles in the rear, the rest of us (paying) up front.
If you are already paying to be upfront, how exactly is this great news for you?

Doesn't seem to effect you in any way.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 5:52 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Renes Points
It pains me to say it: +1 - THIS!

Those who remain - those who are yelling "Thin the herd"

They will be the ones fighting for a C+ middle seat "upgrade"

While FO's will pay $79 to sit in one of the 20x2020 1st class seats!
Boo hoo. You know, delta will happily take your money as well.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Worldtraveler727
I'd be interested to know how big of a problem this really is. How many people are able to fly 125k miles for less than $15k? They should get diamond as a consolation prize as that would be miserable.
I made that point yesterday to Renee; it ended poorly :-)
Old Jul 18, 2017, 6:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by msglsmo
I made that point yesterday to Renee; it ended poorly :-)
Some perspective so other FTer can judge on their own

Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Renes Points
Some perspective so other FTer can judge on their own

https://twitter.com/RenesPoints/stat...24168508137472
So because I'm a Silver, I don't have a valid viewpoint? I'll likely be Gold next year. Does that make my opinion slightly better or still irrelevant? I'm a Silver because I don't travel weekly/extensively like top tier Diamond travelers do. God bless those who do. I hope I'm never Diamond. Travel can be fun, but it can also be a giant pain in the backside.

My point hasn't changed - and it is the same other's have made here. Those who travel a LOT will still earn Diamond. Those on the fringe won't. I suspect that would be Delta's goal - to reward the truly high end flyers with Diamond, making it all that more elite.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by kettle1
This is great news for me. It is the best thing since Colonel Sanders came out with his "secret recipe" for fried chicken. Kettles in the rear, the rest of us (paying) up front.
And you back onto the ignore list where you belong.

If you're paying, you're already upfront. WFBF and all that.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.