Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR to DTW via BOS or AMS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:21 am
Original Poster

LHR to DTW via BOS or AMS

Delta cancelled my award ticket flight for February 2018 back home to DTW this weekend, they put me on a LHR to BOS flight with an almost 2.5 hour layover, I called and they said they weren't sure why they cancelled the flight but it's possible they could bring the flight back on a different plane and I should check the schedule every few days.

I checked this morning and the fastest route that came up was LHR-AMS-DTW with a 1.5 hour layover in AMS, would this be the way to go? Would I have to clear customs and re-check my bags in AMS like I would have to do in BOS?

Also, I'm flying Delta One.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ltp711
Delta cancelled my award ticket flight for February 2018 back home to DTW this weekend, they put me on a LHR to BOS flight with an almost 2.5 hour layover, I called and they said they weren't sure why they cancelled the flight but it's possible they could bring the flight back on a different plane and I should check the schedule every few days.

I checked this morning and the fastest route that came up was LHR-AMS-DTW with a 1.5 hour layover in AMS, would this be the way to go? Would I have to clear customs and re-check my bags in AMS like I would have to do in BOS?

Also, I'm flying Delta One.
No need to recheck bags or clear customs in AMS. Since you're starting in LHR and ending in BOS, you're flying non-Schengen to non-Schengen. It's an easy connection that I've done with as little as 50 minutes between flights.

I would probably connect via AMS in this case.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
+1 for AMS. Quick easy connection, plus more then one flight to DTW a day if something happens.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WWads
No need to recheck bags or clear customs in AMS. Since you're starting in LHR and ending in BOS, you're flying non-Schengen to non-Schengen. It's an easy connection that I've done with as little as 50 minutes between flights.

I would probably connect via AMS in this case.
Would I still be able to access the VA Upper Class club flying KLM to AMS? I'm starting in LHR and ending at DTW.

Another option would be Virgin Atlantic from LHR to JFK then onto DTW, does Upper Class over the Atlantic make up for a Regional Jet from JFK to DTW?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Would I still be able to access the VA Upper Class club flying KLM to AMS? I'm starting in LHR and ending at DTW.

Another option would be Virgin Atlantic from LHR to JFK then onto DTW, does Upper Class over the Atlantic make up for a Regional Jet from JFK to DTW?
No access to clubhouse. You'd be departing T4 instead of T3.

As for VS option, if on a 787 I'd take it. If an A340/A330 I'd skip and go for AMS.

One more plus for AMS, DTW immigration and customs is a breeze. Could also look at CDG for connection.

BTW, does the nonstop LHR/DTW not work for you? You'd get Clubhouse access and fly nonstop.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Definitely go via AMS, you don't even need to reclear security

VS Upper Class isn't worth going out of your way for
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
connection ease (IMO):

nonstop >>>> AMS >>>> BOS >> JFK >>>>>>>> CDG

so if there are literally no nonstop flights available on the day you have booked, I'd probably go for AMS if connection ease was your primary consideration. if you want the VS clubhouse, the JFK connection isn't awful particularly if you have global entry, but without it and with checked bags, I'd probably forego the clubhouse and take the AMS connection.

you can see how I feel about connecting in CDG and unfortunately I do it quite a bit.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
No access to clubhouse. You'd be departing T4 instead of T3.

As for VS option, if on a 787 I'd take it. If an A340/A330 I'd skip and go for AMS.

One more plus for AMS, DTW immigration and customs is a breeze. Could also look at CDG for connection.

BTW, does the nonstop LHR/DTW not work for you? You'd get Clubhouse access and fly nonstop.

OP was already on one of the non-stop's. With the schedule update last Saturday, they reduced the number of frequencies on LHR-DTW for the winter months. The afternoon (2:35PM) flight does not operate every day now, leaving only the morning (9:35AM) departure. On some days, neither flight operates (Nov 23rd, Feb 1, 8, 26, and Mar 15th). Sorry OP, but DL pretty much does these reductions ever year due to reduced demand during the winter months. The flights are not coming back.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LBJ
OP was already on one of the non-stop's. They reduced the number of frequencies on LHR-DTW for the winter months. The afternoon (2:35PM) flight does not operate everyday now, leaving only the morning (9:35AM) departure. On some days, neither flight operates (Nov 23rd, Feb 1, 8, 26, and Mar 15th).
Where did OP say they were on a nonstop originally?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
OP was already on one of the non-stop's. With the schedule update last Saturday, they reduced the number of frequencies on LHR-DTW for the winter months. The afternoon (2:35PM) flight does not operate everyday now, leaving only the morning (9:35AM) departure. On some days, neither flight operates (Nov 23rd, Feb 1, 8, 26, and Mar 15th). Sorry OP, but DL pretty much does these reductions ever year due to reduced demand during the winter months. The flights are not coming back.
They also cut my 10:06PM flight to LHR on Jan 25 but there's still a non-stop at 6:07PM, I'm on that and still have my Delta Comfort bulkhead seat. I figured the flights weren't coming back.

I didn't have enough Skymiles to do Delta One both ways with the DTW-LHR leg in Delta one costing significantly more miles than the LHR-DTW leg.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:33 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
No, but since you're in J you would have access to the LHR Skyteam lounge in T4. It's not the Clubhouse but it's a more than decent lounge.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by pvn
No, but since you're in J you would have access to the LHR Skyteam lounge in T4. It's not the Clubhouse but it's a more than decent lounge.
The SkyTeam lounges are generally excellent. Better than any SC.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
connection ease (IMO):

nonstop >>>> AMS >>>> BOS >> JFK >>>>>>>> CDG

so if there are literally no nonstop flights available on the day you have booked, I'd probably go for AMS if connection ease was your primary consideration. if you want the VS clubhouse, the JFK connection isn't awful particularly if you have global entry, but without it and with checked bags, I'd probably forego the clubhouse and take the AMS connection.

you can see how I feel about connecting in CDG and unfortunately I do it quite a bit.
Disagree with the lowly CDG position. Flew AMS-CDG-BOS recently and although there was a lot of walking involved in CDG, the transfer was a breeze. No security checks, just show your passport once.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BOSTravels
Disagree with the lowly CDG position. Flew AMS-CDG-BOS recently and although there was a lot of walking involved in CDG, the transfer was a breeze. No security checks, just show your passport once.
OP wouldn't even need to show passport at CDG coming from LHR connecting to BOS.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
OP wouldn't even need to show passport at CDG coming from LHR connecting to BOS.
Indeed. Non-Schengen to non-Schengen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.