FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Skipping last leg on KLM/DL itinerary? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1854284-skipping-last-leg-klm-dl-itinerary.html)

travelingwilbury Jul 16, 2017 1:51 pm

Skipping last leg on KLM/DL itinerary?

New to the forums, so forgive the potentially naive question!

I'm flying from NYC to Cape Town next month, and may need to modify my return trip.

Currently being routed CPT > AMS > BOS > LGA

However, I may need to skip out on BOS > LGA because of a family function.

Because it's the last leg of the trip, if I check a bag, could my bag be 'short checked' to BOS?

Any advice would be appreciated!

UpgradeMe Jul 16, 2017 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by travelingwilbury (Post 28567596)
Because it's the last leg of the trip, if I check a bag, could my bag be 'short checked' to BOS?

The official answer is no. YMMV.

C W Jul 16, 2017 1:56 pm

Since BOS is your US point of entry you must collect your bag regardless. There is no distinction here between short and long checking.

Somebody familiar with BOS should be able to comment on how easily you can leave the airport after collecting your bag and clearning customs and immigration.

You're lucky BOS is your point of entry. Generally, excepting some specific circumstances, Delta will
not short check bags.

suvayanr Jul 16, 2017 1:59 pm

You will land in terminal E in Boston. Just walk out and you should be good to go.

davetravels Jul 16, 2017 1:59 pm

The problem would be if, something happens to your BOS flight, or your CPT/AMS flight is late, and you're rerouted to NYC, either, nonstop to JFK from AMS, or via another hub in the USA that has a flight from AMS.

Welcome to FlyerTalk Delta Forum! :)

C W Jul 16, 2017 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 28567630)
The problem would be if, something happens to your BOS flight, and you're rerouted to NYC, either, nonstop to JFK from AMS, or via another hub in the USA that has a flight from AMS.

But you can always decline the reroute, even if
you need to call after being VIPERed.

davetravels Jul 16, 2017 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by C W (Post 28567637)

I edited my post to also say that . . . if the CPT/AMS flight is late and they miss the BOS flight.

Besides, I guess they can decline the reroute, but, how many AMS/BOS flights will remain available that day?

travelingwilbury Jul 16, 2017 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 28567644)
I edited my post to also say that . . . if the CPT/AMS flight is late and they miss the BOS flight.

Besides, I guess they can decline the reroute, but, how many AMS/BOS flights will remain available that day?

Thanks for the info! I'll have about 4 hrs in AMS, so if there are delays, hopefully nothing too crazy!

btonkid12345 Jul 16, 2017 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 28567644)

AMS/BOS is at least twice daily service. Great flight in Main Cabin because its so short.

If you miss AMS/BOS you can always ask for AMS-CDG-BOS-LGA. Or worst case if you end up in NYC, its a 3.5 hour drive to BOS.

flyerCO Jul 16, 2017 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by C W (Post 28567637)

However coming back it would be KLM, NOT DL that would determine the reroute. Also remeber KLM is on the hook for EU261 compensation and regardless of reason EU261 duty of care. Therefore they might refuse to change the routing to go through BOS, if it means either of those expenses would apply.

SDQBound Jul 17, 2017 4:06 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 28568397)
However coming back it would be KLM, NOT DL that would determine the reroute. Also remeber KLM is on the hook for EU261 compensation and regardless of reason EU261 duty of care. Therefore they might refuse to change the routing to go through BOS, if it means either of those expenses would apply.

This. On this side of the Atlantic, since EU261 applies to foreign carriers, they are very careful about re-routing after irrops. KLM plays by their rules even when managing DL flights, and they provide little flexibility.

ncwillett Jul 17, 2017 6:16 am

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 28567630)
The problem would be if, something happens to your BOS flight, or your CPT/AMS flight is late, and you're rerouted to NYC, either, nonstop to JFK from AMS, or via another hub in the USA that has a flight from AMS.

Another problem, though highly unlikely, would be that you deplane in BOS and go to the carousel to get your bag before going through customs, and your bag isn't there because it was mistakenly sent on to LGA. Returning with family on an international trip a few years ago and one person's back was mistakenly directed right onto the aircraft for the final domestic leg and never came through on the pre-customs baggage carousel. No idea how that happened when all other bags were properly routed, but it did. Delta rep just shrugged their shoulders.