Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Updated DL vs AA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:11 pm

Can't speak for AA, but for DL... It has been a few years since I lived there and would alternate between PVD, BOS and BDL depending on price and convenience, but I wouldn't expect the trends have changed much as those routes were starting to get pretty elite-heavy. If you are flying leisure, hopefully offpeak times, your odds are slightly better than they would be otherwise. For an F upgrade, odds of an upgrade out of Boston are slim if you get a non-stop to a vacation destination and none if you are going to a hub. C+ is likely to a vacation destination, but I wouldn't count on it to a hub. PVD, you might score an F seat occasionally and probably have good odds to a hub for C+. From the hub to your destination it really depends on the destination, but the odds are not good (somewhere between slim and none). There are lot of routes, Diamonds don't even get an upgrade to C+. Bottom line on DL, the days of free upgrades are over, and you will probably get lucky and get a few upgrades here and there, but its not something that you should assume will happen or pick DL for. On the upside, F is extremely cheap, and it pays to look at the price. Want first, buy first.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:11 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Cloudship
I have to ask noob question here,as it has been several years since I had any kind of status with either AA or DL, and I just don't get the upgrade process/levels anymore. So please be gentle.

I fly mostly domestically, all leisure. I don't care too much about who has the better food or alcohol, I can get by with any of the hubs. I enjoy priority boarding, but there is really just one important factor for me - access to a wider seat. In the past this was easy - upgrades got you into first. Only now I see that both AA and DL are selling their extra legroom seats as separate classes now. So all other things being equal, if I buy an normal economy seat, at silver and gold levels, what airline is most likely to be giving me upgrades to domestic first? Keep in mind I usually fly out of PVD or BOS (or ORH, hopefully some day). I know Delta is moving some of their BOS flights to Delta One, so that will affect some flights for me.
Honestly none of the airlines are very likely to upgrade you any more if you are at one of the lower status levels. First class cabin sizes have gotten smaller in some cases, particularly on AA, and all three airlines but especially DL have gotten more aggressive about selling the first class seats for cash rather than giving away upgrades, which means that fewer seats are free for upgrades and so often only the highest elite levels get upgraded, and silvers and golds get very few upgrades.

If you travel at very off-peak times you might still get some upgrades as a lower level elite, but I certainly wouldn't aim for those elite statuses while counting on that benefit.

If you don't fly often it's probably not worth chasing status, but it is worth being aware that part of that aggressiveness in selling the seats means that first class seats can often be bought these days for a lot less than in the past. So it might be worth just looking out for opportunities where buying first class is within your budget.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by bgriff
Honestly none of the airlines are very likely to upgrade you any more if you are at one of the lower status levels. First class cabin sizes have gotten smaller in some cases, particularly on AA, and all three airlines but especially DL have gotten more aggressive about selling the first class seats for cash rather than giving away upgrades, which means that fewer seats are free for upgrades and so often only the highest elite levels get upgraded, and silvers and golds get very few upgrades.

If you travel at very off-peak times you might still get some upgrades as a lower level elite, but I certainly wouldn't aim for those elite statuses while counting on that benefit.

If you don't fly often it's probably not worth chasing status, but it is worth being aware that part of that aggressiveness in selling the seats means that first class seats can often be bought these days for a lot less than in the past. So it might be worth just looking out for opportunities where buying first class is within your budget.

I keep telling myself that, but the fact is that pretty much every trip I have looked at, first is still always between 2 and 3 times more expensive than first. Delta is usually more consistent at being 2.5 times, AA varies a little more.

The flip side of that question is: OK, so I end up doing 2.5 times less flying. That is still some flying. So which airline do I choose? Overall, where am I going to get the most benefit from upgrades?

Which airline these days is it easier to upgrade with miles. I know Delta was getting hard there for a while, but AA has that stupid coupon process.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 12:36 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Updated for COVID-19 business travel as a HNL based, long time DL Diamond traveler.

Wifi: Not much difference between airlines now. With AA allowing trans-Pacific Panasonic access with the AA wifi subscription, not much difference between the airlines. Previously, one had to purchase a separate day pass on AA for ex-HNL flights using the Panasonic pass, even if one had the monthly Gogo subscription, which was annoying.

Food: AA beats DL currently without question. DL with snackboxes and snack bags with beer, wine, or water. AA with real meal service and wide variety of soft drinks, alcohol, or water.

On the ground customer service: To my surprise, AA's customer service has hands down exceeded DL customer service, even compared to pre-COVID times with DL. With IROPPS, I've received phone calls from AA to make sure I am okay with flight changes, or they would help me change flights that were suitable to my schedule. This was before I've reached Ex-Plat. Delta sends emails in regards to flight changes, which then you have to make a phone call to Delta in order to change.

In flight customer service: Delta wins with friendlier flight attendants. AA has a mix of good and bad, but Delta's flight attendants are much more proactive and friendlier.

In flight power: Delta wins. I had the experience of flying an old AA A321 without AC outlet for my laptop from PHX to HNL, which was painful. With AA, you have to double check if you have outlets to power electronic devices, or fly a wide body aircraft.

Hard product: As a mainly FC ticket purchaser, hands down AA wins. The hard product for HNL based routes, AA provides better seats, blankets, pillows, and entertainment system. Deltas 757 recliner seats gets old after awhile, especially for red-eye flights. I've just flew a refurbished 767 HNL-SLC, which was the same old tired plane, and not to the same standard as AA's hard product. Unfortunately, no upgraded A350 suites for HNL DL based flights to the continental US.

Lounges: Non existent at HNL for both, which is a tie for both. At hub airports, not much difference. Food and beverage are tied, and no shower capabilities at either lounges due to COVID.

Ticket prices: Tie: The prices fluctuate based on the month of purchase. During May-August 2020, Delta was priced extremely high, and AA was priced low for FC seats. For 2021, AA has bumped up their price higher than DL.

Schedule: Really depends on traveler pattern. Delta has the edge. For HNL-West Coast and return, Delta has more convenient schedules (non super early flights), and less back tracking for connection flights. On flight departure has been the same for both airlines.

Connecting flights: Delta hubs win AA flights at DFW may change, and require a tram ride. At PHX, its a long walk for connecting flights departing out of a different terminal.

Upgrades: As I've only purchased FC tickets with AA, I can't tell from an economy standpoint. I will say, for all of my flights, there was plenty of upgrade FC wide body seats available from HNL to DFW during my travels (usually 6-10 seats were available for upgrade). Same for PHX-HNL or DFW-HNL on wide bodies. For Delta, I've been upgraded every single flight when I purchased economy seats on their 757s either out of SEA or LAX. There hasn't been much demand for FC purchasing during COVID.

Upgrade Instruments: Not enough info to tell as I haven't used any AA SWU yet. For Delta RUC and GUCs, I always call ahead and see what flights are available before booking such flights. Never an issue with DL.

Partner Programs: Depends on if you use Marriott (Delta) versus Hyatt (AA).

In summary: During tough times, AA provides the better value for the money spent, with a premium hard product, and better customer service for the loyalty members.
cmd320 and ryw like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.