Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Buying 'weird' airlines through Delta.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying 'weird' airlines through Delta.com

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:07 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If that's your goal, master carrier-force and routing force instructions in ITA Matrix to find eligible itins after you have studied fare routing rules.

https://millionmilesecrets.com/2014/...routing-codes/
Indeed ITA has now introduced even more power with extension codes that are not covered in that article.

That said in my experience you don't readily find reasonably-priced itineraries that just lump a lot of different carriers together, for the simple reason that there would be no reason for a single published fare to exist across many disparate carriers, and once you start breaking fares across segments things get expensive pretty quickly unless you happen to be working with some extremely low fares for individual components.

But you can find some surprising stuff, especially on fares that are governed by some perhaps less-sophisticated carriers and originate in the developing world. It's probably not useful to many due to visa limitations but the Saudia fare I used was for business class on JED-LHR-JFK, connecting from Saudia to Delta (no codeshare -- just an SV-coded leg and a DL-coded leg), last minute for $2500 one-way. Which is no bargain, but it's also just one random route that doesn't come up on either carrier's site nor on any OTA that I've seen, and yet it prices out quite competitively with good availability. So there must be other bargains out there...
Old Jul 13, 2017, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bgriff
That said in my experience you don't readily find reasonably-priced itineraries that just lump a lot of different carriers together, for the simple reason that there would be no reason for a single published fare to exist across many disparate carriers....
I'm not even suggesting the OP try for tricks with broken fares. Lots of fares allow surprisingly circuitous routings. Punch an airport pair into ExpertFlyer. Look for fares you're willing to pay. Check the allowable routings or MPM. Force three or four DL-coded segments in ITA Matrix or force connection cities and look for DL or partner flights.

I one cares about his time, is anxious about Minimum Connect Times, or has to ask what happens if flight XX is delayed, one should ignore this approach. A newbie could create a lot of problems for himself.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat
"Has anyone done this before? Have you experienced problems at all? I could imagine issues with baggage allowance or fees. And what about seat assignments?

Book with Matrix via Delta.com could really, really open up a lot of possibilities. Like flying through LHR, AMS and CDG to get to KUL, BKK or SIN.[/QUOTE]BKK

I am Plat so I take whatever itin I find and call Delta. After you book be sure to get every reservation number for each separate airline. You can usually use it to checkin and manage that leg separately.

BTW I did the BKK trip xxx>DTW>ICN>BKK then BKK>PVG> one on Korean the other on China Eastern. Have also done Aeroflot, West Jet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.