Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

17 yr old with one parent on Delta to CDG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

I am going with my daughter on a graduation/pre-college trip to Europe, she will be 1 month shy of 18th Bday on trip. My husband is not going. My daughter and I have same last name on passports. Airline tickets are round trip. She has flown many times in the past few years by herself where no letter is needed from either parent, so I figured we would not need one from the non-traveling parent this time at her age, but wanted to ask and make sure. Have travelled with letter before when she was younger and only with one parent so know the drill if it is required, but when is that? Up until the day she actually turns 18 or are we close enough now?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM
As far as I know you do not need a letter to travel on Delta from the other parent on Delta, unless it is required by the country of origin or destination.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Its more for pax originating from other countries going to the US... the customers and border agency don't require it, although they recommend having a letter depending where you are going.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
You're most likely to run into the need for the letter with immigration authorities, not with the airline. A letter isn't a strict requirement, but it's still a smart idea to carry one just in case, especially since it's easy to create. Most governments just recognize an absolute cutoff between child and adult, not a sliding scale where teenagers are handled differently.

The Canadian government has a great template, and you can probably take it by your local bank branch to have it notarized (often for free): https://travel.gc.ca/docs/child/cons...tement-eng.pdf

Practically - it's unlikely you'll be asked at any point in the process unless your daughter appears under duress or makes any comments to the immigration officials suggesting she's adopted or relocating permanently. But it's still better safe than sorry.

Additional advice from the US embassy in Germany (whose advice is likely applicable throughout Schengen) here: https://de.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...egal-guardian/
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:04 pm

My sister got a hell of a time with her 8 y/o at customs at LHR with the same last name, even though UK doesn't require a letter.

In short, get the letter, I imagine your husband won't have an issue with signing it, it doesn't take up any space or weight and if you don't need it, no big deal, but if it is asked for it will alleviate a big hassle
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by kop84
My sister got a hell of a time with her 8 y/o at customs at LHR with the same last name, even though UK doesn't require a letter.

In short, get the letter, I imagine your husband won't have an issue with signing it, it doesn't take up any space or weight and if you don't need it, no big deal, but if it is asked for it will alleviate a big hassle
Just write a letter like( I woudl get notarized just to be on the safe side)

To Whom It May Concern:

I(Husband's Full Name) authorize (Wife's Full Name) to travel with (Daughter's Full Name) On (Flight Information, Record Locator #) on (Departure Date) Returning on(Departure From Europe Date) for a High School Graduation vacation to(List countries within Europe).

Signed

(Husband's Full Name).
US Contact Info.

P.S. Just copy and paste my form letter into Word and fill in the blanks, get it notarized and your done.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
When I was younger, my family (mom, dad, four kids) was taking us to a family member's wedding in Canada. We were in the process of moving cross-country and my dad had already moved, but the rest of us were still in what would soon be our former home.

We had plane tickets to Vancouver, my dad had a ticket to Vancouver via our home city. Storms hit, his flight got delayed and he missed his flight. Of course, we all had to go. When we got to Canadian immigration, they had a fit. Mom and four kids, no husband, trying to enter Canada. We spent over an hour trying to get them to understand no one had intended to travel this way. Eventually they were able to get some sort of information that convinced them dad was supposed to travel with us, but missed his connection.

Boy, that was a long night. Can't really imagine how my mom did it. Kids stretching in age from 12 to 2, foreign country, rental car, etc.

Bottomline: Get the letter.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I have heard that Italy has particularly strict laws about this, but can't remember where I heard this.

In any case, the is not really a DL issue and should be moved to a different forum.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If there's any potential issue (especially if there's been a divorce/separation or custody agreement), get a medical power of attorney authorizing the traveling parent to make medical decisions for the minor.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Get the letter instead of later wishing you got the letter. If you get it, you won't need it, but if you don't get it, you will run into the Barney Fife of immigration officers who will find some ridiculous reason to ask for it.

I was on a flight out of Amsterdam with some people. Someone next to us with a child was detained at a security check. Sure enough, our flight was delayed while we waited for her husband to be contacted. It happens.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:00 pm

Doesnt hurt to have the letter. Whenever my dad and I would travel he would always get questioned no matter where we were
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Ok thanks for all the responses. That was the reason I asked instead of assuming that close to 18th bday would be ok...
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I have heard that Italy has particularly strict laws about this, but can't remember where I heard this.
South Africa as well. SA used to devote an entire page of their inflight magazine to the subject.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
My wife and I took our 16 granddaughter from GRB to EDI and return in 11/2016. We had no problems in the USA or Scotland. Customs, lounges and Airlines never asked any questions.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
I have traveled from the USA to countries in Asia, Latin America and Europe with my minor children, and never had any problems with customs/immigration or airlines.

We're all USA citizens, and have the same last name. Most of the time we fly Delta, but we've also done AA (USA domestic, LatAm and Europe), Norwegian (LON-ARN), Lufthansa (LON-FRA), KLM (HEL-AMS, LON-AMS), Air China (SFO-PEK, PDG-SFO), Alitalia (LON-FCO), and perhaps one or two others I can't remember at the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.