Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

eCredit Redemption & Refundable Flights

Old Jul 11, 17, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

I have an eCredit that is a few weeks from expiring, and some friends and I have loose plans to travel overseas this fall, but nothing is set in stone yet. If I were to purchase a refundable ticket soon but then the dates of the trip changed, would I be able to use those funds to purchase tickets for the new dates, or would the amount of the original eCredit be lost? I'd imagine that Delta would have rules in place to prevent people from gaming the system, but the website isn't terribly clear on the limitations.

Also, while searching for other people who might've had the same experience, I saw a comment that suggested that travel needs to be completed by the expiration date rather than just booking the tickets. Is this the case? That could cause some additional problems…
Old Jul 11, 17, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
I believe technically the travel is supposed to be completed by the expiration. You may be able to book a ticket past that but you definitely won't be able to rebook or extend the expiration once the date has passed.
Old Jul 12, 17, 4:59 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Travel does not need to be completed by expiration date, but once your are past the expiration date, I don't believe you can apply the e-cert funded part to a new ticket (even if you buy a fully refundable fare). About the only out you would have is if there is a significant schedule change (> 90 minutes).
Old Jul 12, 17, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Is this a cert for a past unused ticket or a cert for a CS gesture? The answer varries depending on which type of ecert talking about.
Old Jul 12, 17, 8:01 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Platinum; sometimes other things too
I was researching this question myself the other day and there are various threads about it.

It appears that one option, if you have no better choice, is to buy a nonrefundable ticket and then later cancel it. You lose the change fee, but you do get issued a new credit valid for a year from the date when you bought the nonrefundable ticket. Not clear if it works the same way if you buy a refundable ticket.
Old Jul 12, 17, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Is this a cert for a past unused ticket or a cert for a CS gesture? The answer varries depending on which type of ecert talking about.
This

If old ticket travel needs to be completed by the expiration
If credit voucher travel needs to be booked by the expiration
Old Jul 12, 17, 11:27 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Platinum; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by kop84 View Post
This

If old ticket travel needs to be completed by the expiration
If credit voucher travel needs to be booked by the expiration
I haven't clicked all the way through to purchase but Delta.com will let me get to the last page before purchasing while applying an old ticket e-credit against a trip for dates after the expiration. Will it error out if I try to purchase? Or is that a loophole?
Old Jul 12, 17, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by bgriff View Post
I haven't clicked all the way through to purchase but Delta.com will let me get to the last page before purchasing while applying an old ticket e-credit against a trip for dates after the expiration. Will it error out if I try to purchase? Or is that a loophole?

It may error out, but if it lets you use the old ticket, I say go for it, DL is highly unlikely to take action to void your ticket once the new ticket is issued.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...t-changes.html
Old Jul 12, 17, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

It should error out when it goes to exchange the ticket for the new one. It doesn't validate the expiration date till that point.
Old Jul 12, 17, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses!

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Is this a cert for a past unused ticket or a cert for a CS gesture? The answer varies depending on which type of ecert talking about.
I received the voucher for offering to take a different flight with a connection when mine was overbooked.
Old Jul 12, 17, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

I tried the same thing with similar results. The website allowed me to apply the eCredit to a flight past the expiration date, but I didn't put down my credit card number for the rest of the fee or hit purchase for fear that I might lose the eCredit.
Old Jul 12, 17, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rnuttall3 View Post
I tried the same thing with similar results. The website allowed me to apply the eCredit to a flight past the expiration date, but I didn't put down my credit card number for the rest of the fee or hit purchase for fear that I might lose the eCredit.
It'll allow you to "apply" it. However when it comes to finally doing the exchange at the end (when you click complete purchase after entering credit card) it'll fail.
Old Jul 12, 17, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rnuttall3 View Post
Thanks for all the responses!

I received the voucher for offering to take a different flight with a connection when mine was overbooked.
For this purpose, falls under the CS heading.
Thus it can be used for flights after its expiration. Basically its no different then applying cash/gift card for the purchase of a flight. Meaning can use this to purchase flights to be flown after its expiration.

An ecredit that results from an unused ticket on the other hand results in an exchange. It's not an application of original form of payment (like cash/gift card) to the purchased flight. Thus the original expiration date on the ecredit carries over to the purchased flight ticket. Thus can't use this type for flights after the ecredits expiration date.

In terms of a purchase at a retailer. The first one is equal to making a whole new purchase, just using a $ off coupon. The latter equal to an exchange at the counter of the ugly sweater Grandma bought you for Christmas, for whatever you want. Hopefully helps explain why they get treated differently.

Last edited by flyerCO; Jul 12, 17 at 7:26 pm