Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Does DL ever oversell Business Class/ Delta One?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does DL ever oversell Business Class/ Delta One?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
It would be interesting to know how Delta has handled the recent spat of outbound Detroit-Asia delays and cancellations because of mechanical issues on the 747 fleet.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels
Did you say: "Thanx, United!"???

I would be like Yea Baby lets book another Delta 1 Trip right now while were waiting^
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by dEagleS
I was on a flight recently in paid F/J (with one-stop, first leg F, second leg J), and the first flight was oversold (due to last moment deadheading pilot, required to fly in F), and even after boarding, I decided to give up my seat for a non-stop flight on better metal (and a voucher)
Originally Posted by SFTNYC
Has happened to me once on LHR-JFK on the 5:30pm departure (can't remember if it was a Thursday or Friday but for sure a very popular flight with the business crowd). I was told they likely did it as a one-off for a major corporate customer, but myself and a colleague got phone calls the night before asking us if we were flexible.
Not to say your accounts aren't true, but those situations could also happen with a FAM. Of course they have to give an excuse for why there's an oversell.

Originally Posted by rylan
Yes they certainly can and do oversell but nowhere to the extend that the main cabin does. DL has plenty of statistics for historical cancellations and last minute changes to support how much, if any, they can oversell the cabin. As others said this also can happen due to other irops in the system resulting in reroutes or equipment changes.
I think you're confusing overbooking and overselling. DL does not overbook the J/F cabin. When it's full, it's full. No more ticket sales. However, in IRROPS there are uncommon oversell situations, due to equipment substitutions, employee deadheading, Federal Air Marshal needs, etc.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Renes Points
6 hour wait in DTW and then in D1. Clearly also asked and got a food voucher(s) as well

Oh was on a REV ticket paid with an old bump voucher and used GUs to UG to D1
For $3000, I would have bought myself a very good meal in DTW to celebrate (or just waited for the meal on the rebooked later flight) and not pushed for the meal voucher.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For $3000, I would have bought myself a very good meal in DTW to celebrate (or just waited for the meal on the rebooked later flight) and not pushed for the meal voucher.
Victory goes to the bold.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by javabytes
Victory goes to the bold.
+1. Volunteers need to eat too.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bonoman
+1. Volunteers need to eat too.
True if you're taking a downgrade, but if you'll get a D1 dinner with some delay, my instinct would be to just snack minimally if necessary in the SC and wait for the nice meal on board. I also wouldn't be piggy or demanding if I were getting VDB comp in the amount of three thousand dollars for less than a several day delay. I realize that people in this situation would technically be entitled to the meal voucher, but personally I would just be grateful to the $3000 voucher as agreed and not push for a bit more.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:46 pm

True if you're taking a downgrade, but if you'll get a D1 dinner with some delay, my instinct would be to just snack minimally if necessary in the SC and wait for the nice meal on board. I also wouldn't be piggy or demanding if I were getting VDB comp in the amount of three thousand dollars for less than a several day delay. I realize that people in this situation would technically be entitled to the meal voucher, but personally I would just be grateful to the $3000 voucher as agreed and not push for a bit more.
The D1 dinner isn't exactly a selling point for some people. I typically eat just prior to boarding.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by bonoman
The D1 dinner isn't exactly a selling point for some people. I typically eat just prior to boarding.
IME parts of the meal are pretty good and it provides some "entertainment" on board. I rarely have enough time at the airport to enjoy a leasurely meal and I would have to be anxious about whether the food and check will arrive in time for my flight.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:52 pm

I rarely have enough time at the airport to enjoy a leasurely meal and I would have to be anxious about whether the food and check will arrive in time for my flight.
Moot on the meal voucher point since typically if you're in a volunteer situation, you are taking a later flight.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:04 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
There's nothing wrong with saying:

You're including a coupl'a meal vouchers, right?

Worst thing a GA or RC can do is say, no!

Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels
There's nothing wrong with saying:

You're including a coupl'a meal vouchers, right?

Worst thing a GA or RC can do is say, no!

I'd ask in most "normal" VDB situations, but not if I'm getting $3000 for a reasonable rebooking. That's just me, but I wouldn't push for every possible thing when DL is already being extremely generous. I wouldn't refuse a meal voucher if there's a chance I would use it, but I wouldn't ask for an additional 1% or less on top of the $3000.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:30 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I guess what I meant was, I don't feel simply asking for a meal voucher is "pushing". If they say no, and you continually hound the gate agent, that would simply be wrong.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:55 pm

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
Originally Posted by minnyfly
Not to say your accounts aren't true, but those situations could also happen with a FAM. Of course they have to give an excuse for why there's an oversell.
In my case I'm sure that could've been possible, however, there was a pilot in uniform in the seat next to me and I chatted with him a bit as I boarded. He was jealous I got the 767 crew rest seat (w/curtain) which is not needed on the LAX-HNL leg. He said he was dead-heading as someone just got ill in HI and he needed to cover the flight back, so he was being flown-in at the last minute. In my understanding, in these situations, pilots are required to fly in F/J.

Interestingly, the red coat came on-board after they realized they were in a bind, and quietly (though I could hear) ask the pilot if he would sit in economy comfort. He politely declined.

After realizing the red coat was in trouble through overhearing this discussion, I offered to give up my seat, and initially too was offered the economy comfort seat as an option. I also declined, but said I would agree if I could get on the next non-stop flight to my destination which was on better metal (777), and happened to be slightly earlier than my original arrival time anyway. Oh, and also a voucher (actually gift card selection). I took the last J seat on the 777, and I'm sure some GUC waiting passenger who was #1 on the list was sad that day. Oh well. I may have been able to hold out for a little more, but it was good enough for me in that situation.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by dEagleS

Thanks for the detail! Interesting account that we can learn from.

Don't see solo deadheading pilots very often. Illness is one of the few reasons you would see that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.