Help please - lounge access question

Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Help please - lounge access question

Next week, traveling STL-DTW-AMS-EDI on the outbound and returning DUB-JFK-DTW-STL. My spouse and I are both on an award ticket in First/Business Class. Looks like the class code varies from R to O to OL.

We have the following layovers. Assuming we have lounge access (?), is there a particular one we should visit if there is more than one available? I'm not at all familiar with these airports. Thanks in advance.
DTW 90 minutes
AMS 125 minutes
JFK 180 minutes
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DTW: The Center A lounge has showers and is big and busy. The North/South A lounges at the train stations are usually quiet and have more limited hours. There's also a B/C lounge if you arrive on a smaller RJ, but be sure to allow enough time to go through the psychedelic tunnel for your flight, which will depart from a gate near the center of A. All have self service alcohol.

AMS: You won't have a choice. There's one KLM schengen lounge and one KLM nonschengen lounge.

DUB: Ask at check in for an invitation to whatever contract lounge DL is using.

JFK: You'll arrive at T4 and depart from T2 or T4. The T4 lounge has the SkyDeck. T2 has been redone and is better, but I find it depressing. With three hours and preclearance at DUB, you'll have time to try both. Note that you are allowed to use the airside shuttle (JFK Jitney) to go between T2 and T4 regardless of your departure gate; don't let the aggressive employee guarding the entrance tell you otherwise.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:53 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Visit all of 'em!

If you're in business class from DUB to AMS, you should also be able to enter a partner lounge at DUB.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
Next week, traveling STL-DTW-AMS-EDI on the outbound and returning DUB-JFK-DTW-STL. My spouse and I are both on an award ticket in First/Business Class. Looks like the class code varies from R to O to OL.

We have the following layovers. Assuming we have lounge access (?), is there a particular one we should visit if there is more than one available? I'm not at all familiar with these airports. Thanks in advance.
DTW 90 minutes
AMS 125 minutes
JFK 180 minutes
DTW the main club in the middle has the biggest selection of food. However I'd go with whichever club is closest to gate for AMS flight. There's two, one on each end. The two end clubs are at tram platform level.

AMS only choice is KLM Crown lounge. Very overcrowded and noisy.

DUB you'll get access as paid D1 passengers. However remember DUB has pre-clearance, thus you'll clear US immigration and customs at DUB. I know there's a lounge after pre-clearance, but don't know if paid D1 gets you in. I know status doesn't. However i know paid D1 used to get access to a lounge before pre-clearance holding pen. You'll get some type of lounge, just not sure is before or after pre-clearance. If before, remember you must clear US CBP before cutoff for your flight.

JFK can use either T4 or T2 SC. T4 is nicer, better food selection, better showers, etc. If flight is out of T2, I'd stay at T4 SC and leave enough time to catch the bus over to T2.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:49 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
D1 passengers, paid or otherwise, do get access to the contract lounge inside the preclearance area at DUB. It's on the lower level at the very end of the concourse.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
At DUB you can access the 51st & Green lounge after you've completed pre-clearance.

D1 one ticket will get you in.

Not 100% sure but I think post security but before pre clearance DL uses the DAA contract lounge
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
The lounge in DUB before pre-clearance is a joke, don't waste your time. It was the only option last time I was there so I was glad to hear about the better option
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pvn
D1 passengers, paid or otherwise, do get access to the contract lounge inside the preclearance area at DUB. It's on the lower level at the very end of the concourse.
Good to hear. I haven't gone through DUB since the post pre-clearance lounge opened. Thus I wasn't sure if DL gave access or cheaped out and only allowed pre, pre-clearance lounge access.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:25 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Amending my post above:

I thought the OP's itin was DUB/AMS/USA. I see I was incorrect!
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: DL Platinum 1MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
I can't help with the lounge access advice but I can tell you to "Bear Down"
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
The lounge in DUB before pre-clearance is a joke, don't waste your time. It was the only option last time I was there so I was glad to hear about the better option
I guess it depends on what you look for in a lounge, especially the one at your first flight of the day.

I usually take public transport (bus, rail) to the airport and allow some extra time for issues beyond my control (traffic, construction, etc). So the end result is I often get to the airport way earlier than I need to. In that case, I find the DAA lounge perfectly fine to have a cup of coffee, check email and sit for a while. Certainly better than the waiting areas for the general population.

That being said, I haven't been to the post clearance lounge -- maybe it is of Virgin Clubhouse quality. But the reports I've seen have said it is fairly small and gets crowded...
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I guess it depends on what you look for in a lounge, especially the one at your first flight of the day.

I usually take public transport (bus, rail) to the airport and allow some extra time for issues beyond my control (traffic, construction, etc). So the end result is I often get to the airport way earlier than I need to. In that case, I find the DAA lounge perfectly fine to have a cup of coffee, check email and sit for a while. Certainly better than the waiting areas for the general population.

That being said, I haven't been to the post clearance lounge -- maybe it is of Virgin Clubhouse quality. But the reports I've seen have said it is fairly small and gets crowded...
The 51st and Green lounge, after pre-clearance, is nothing to write home about but it is functional. I prefer to get through all the bureaucracy ASAP and then head to a lounge. In the morning there is light breakfast fare, coffee, soft drinks etc. I seem to remember alcohol but I'm usually not in the mood for that until a little later in the day.

BTW: It is NOTHING like the Virgin Clubhouse.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:01 am
Formerly known as mmihalik

The DUB lounge after pre-clearance is pretty good. It's independent, handling all airlines, and is dubbed "51st and Green". Very friendly staff, and wasn't very crowded. I got access after I was upgraded on my United flight a few months ago. You can also purchase access. No reciprocal privileges with Star Alliance airline club cards if you only have that. Complimentary access for Business and First passenger.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FLYPWM
I can't help with the lounge access advice but I can tell you to "Bear Down"
Haha...thanks. It's this time of year I typically start thinking about how soon basketball might start up again, completely ignoring the fact that college football season is about to begin.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Great advice...thanks everyone. So, I think this is my strategy

DTW: Will probably just stop by whatever lounge is most convenient before our evening flight to AMS

AMS: Will try out the Crown Lounge (but won't expect a whole lot!). Do they offer shower facilities?

DUB: Really appreciate the input here. I think for us, we will plan to visit the 51st and Green Lounge after we have already gone through the pre-clearance process. Seems a little less stressful.

JFK: I've wanted to try out the SkyDeck so will plan on doing that and taking the bus over to T2 if that's where we are departing. Is the airside shuttle and the bus the same thing? Just curious as to what I am looking for if/when we need to move terminals.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.