The baffling bassinet mystery...

Old Jul 10, 17, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold
The baffling bassinet mystery...

So.. I will be traveling with a 2 month old soon (good times).

I know that "skycot" bassinets are available on some planes, presumably in bulkhead seats. But it seems the way to get one is downright bizarre. The only information I can get from Delta is that they are available on a "first come first served" basis which means when you check in *at the airport* you can ask and if you're lucky you get one.

But I asked Delta - so, what happens if someone is already seated in the bulkhead seats? Do they get thrown out? Delta says no.

So they "made a note" that I requested a bassinet, which is probably worth nothing.

To make matters more complicated SeatGuru does not show any bassinets on Delta aircraft even though Delta told me they were available on "most aircraft" which I don't actually believe ;-)

Anyway... so the big question - how does one actually go about this? Should I cough up the dough for comfort+ bulkhead and assume I'd be locked in? Are there any reliable seat maps which show the actual bassinet locations?

ANy advice appreciated! (if it matters, we're talking aobut an A330-300, a 767 and a 737-900
Old Jul 10, 17, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
AFAIK DL 737/single aisle aircraft dont have thrm. 767 has at most a position for one, but im not sure if they still use it. The A330 i dont know.
Old Jul 10, 17, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
After some googling, it says the weight limit for DL bassinet (SkyCot) is 20lbs so you should be ok there, but there is a limit of 2 per aircraft. Unfortunately they also don't state which aircraft are equipped with the mounts, nor what bulkheads have them.

From memory, the center seating area bulkhead has bassinet mounts on DL aircraft, but not sure about the bulkheads by the windows.
Old Jul 10, 17, 2:25 pm

Programs: Delta FO (I use to be More)
My sister wanted a skycot for my niece 5 years ago, delta had one available but she couldn't use it as her seat wasn't at the bulkhead where it attached and te person seated there did not want to switch.
Old Jul 10, 17, 2:46 pm

The 767 (76L) has several spots for them at the bulkheads, but I imagine you'd likely have to have the bulkhead reserved already. Are you able to do that? Otherwise, how long is the flight? Would you consider getting a seat for your child? An infant bucket is easy to carry on and strap in, and that way they they can sleep through take off / landing / any turbulence if you're really lucky.
Old Jul 10, 17, 3:15 pm

Yep....it's most "international" aircraft. Some have multiple and specific bulkheads seats that have the Skycot fittings. Child can be up to 20lbs and 26" and must be held for takeoff and landing. First come, first served at the gate. You could be moved out of the bulkhead for disability requests.
Old Jul 11, 17, 6:08 pm
J S

I used one about 5.5 years ago on a DL 747 in the first row (J). The thing was so uncomfortable, with a bar across the middle and somewhat defective padding, that we ended up just putting our son to sleep on the floor in front of our seats. (It may have been partially broken.) Also, the FAs insisted we remove him from it every time we hit turbulence and the fasten seat belt sign came on. This as invariably just after he had fallen fast asleep. My son was great on the outbound flight--quiet as a mouse--but I hereby apologize to the other J passengers who had to endure the 12 hour return flight. At one point, I locked myself in the lav with our crying infant on the theory that I would be giving the other pax some peace and quiet. When I emerged, it turned out that babies' cries carry right through the walls of the lav. At least I tried.
Old Jul 11, 17, 7:21 pm

One of the reasons babies cry on flights is they are often in tremendous pain. Babies have underdeveloped ear canals and no concept on how to clear there ears. I highly recommend not traveling with a baby under a year old unless you don't mind possibly subjecting your baby to extreme pain and even permanent hearing damage.
Old Jul 11, 17, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by Jeff767 View Post
One of the reasons babies cry on flights is they are often in tremendous pain. Babies have underdeveloped ear canals and no concept on how to clear there ears. I highly recommend not traveling with a baby under a year old unless you don't mind possibly subjecting your baby to extreme pain and even permanent hearing damage.

- Not underdeveloped ear canals but too small Eustachian tubes that are easily blocked in babies.
- Yes, pain; highly unlikely to cause permanent hearing loss (even a torn/ruptured eardrum isn't a disaster - tons of kids suffer that due to ear infections, sometimes deliberately perforated for drainage, and they do heal)
Old Jul 12, 17, 12:10 am

Programs: DL DM, HiltonHHonors Gold, Hertz PC (thru DL)
A330-300 has them in row 10.
Old Jul 12, 17, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by g-wwbm View Post
A330-300 has them in row 10.
Also...22CDFG
Old Jul 12, 17, 2:48 pm

The reasons for the restrictions on the SkyCot is due to emergency evacuations if it were setup away from the bulkhead row it would hamper the exit of passengers and also there is no way to secure your precious cargo as the bulkhead seats have the special belts like in a car to attach the cot in a secure manner.

The reason Delta only limits two Cots is because they need to leave the bulkhead seats open for passengers with fused legs and other disabilities. When you book a ticket the agent should be able to see how many SkyCots have been reserved.

On smaller planes there are no bassinets as they are usually connected in the middle row on the dual aisle planes like the 767. On the Airbus 320s there is very limited bulkhead rows and the trip is shorter than on the widebody jets.

I hope this helps. Also you need to book your infant on an infant ticket and request SkyCot in the Special Service Request that is done by the agent.
Old Jul 12, 17, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Jeff767 View Post
I agree with you 150 percent and your fellow travelers will thank you. And please change diapers in the lav and not in the seats next to fellow passengers who do not want to be subjected to the smells of a dirty diaper and dispose of it not in the seatback pocket but in a double plastic bag and put in the sick bag and thrown in a proper disposal area. Flight attendants will not handle dirty diapers for sanitary reasons.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Nov 11, 17, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold
Update on this story:

So we managed to get a bassinet on our return flight. It was amazing and the baby slept like a dream.

However, I have to say, the system is a complete joke and someone needs to do something at Delta. My theory - having few women in upper management results in these details being forgotten.

For example - I had to reserve (and pay for) bulkhead seats myself and simply gamble that the bulk head had attachments. I mentioned it at every step of the way - on check in, at the gate, via twitter and everyone kept saying some variation of "yep, I think you're okay" or "yes, you definitely have a bassinet" ...

Hilariously, when we got on the plane, center seats on 767 bulkhead, there WERE NO bassinet attachment. So before we took off I asked the flight attendant "hey, what's the deal here?". She looked at the bulkhead, looked confused and said "woah, that's weird".. guess you don't have one!

...???? How is it possible that this is so much an after thought that people ON the plane don't even know which seats have an attachment and which don't?

Anyway, to make a long story short, we asked the people in the window seat side to move before take off, and after that got our bassinet and every thing was cool.

But seriously, Delta can track all manner of detail about different planes and different seats. Why is this issue so ignored?
Old Nov 12, 17, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Most likely cost benefit. A bassent is very rarely used. In all my years of flying, across multiple airlines, I have yet to see one used. Why spend money on something that almost never is asked for.
jamesteroh and CO-PLAT like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: